• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heating Issues Possibly due to Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JackJimson

Registered
Hi Everyone,

Good Day!

I upgraded my almost 2 year old rig's video card and memory.
From 2x 2 GB Corsair XMS3 to 4x GB Corsair XMS3 and
From GTS 250 to GTX 570.

Recently, I decided to test on one of my recent games (Heroes VI on all highest settings). To my surprise, it was hitting values of 78 deg Celsius! TCase is measured at 72.7. I live in a tropical country so my temps idle at around 46 C. I have not yet experienced shutdowns due to overheating, so I wasn't aware there was a problem. I'm guessing the added heat from the GPU is providing additional heat to the CPU.

Here is my set-up:
CASE:Thermaltake v3 (4 fans)
MOBO: Intel DP55WD
CPU: Intel i5-750
GPU: Nvidia GTX 570
RAM: 4x 2GB Corsair XMS3
PSU: Corsair 620HX

FAN SETUP:
Front: Intake
Bottom: Outtake (may would have been better as an intake)
Side Panel: Intake
Rear: Outtake
Top: Can't fit due to MOBO :(

Everything's in stock configuration (which is why I was surprised with the heat issue)

Now I see 4 options:
1. Add additional cooling.
Any suggestions on a good quality CPU fan that can adequately cool the CPU? I don't really plan on overclocking and I don't have the budget at the moment. (I plan on building a new rig in 2 years so I don't really want to spend on this one BUT I want this one to last till then). Probably air cooled, my case can't support water. I don't mind spending a bit on a cooler as long as it's of good quality and practical. I'm thinking of Hyper 212+ if it can fit.​
2. Re-set-up of my fans.
Any suggestions? Bottom should be intake?
Should I get a spot cooling fan? If yes, optimal position?​
3. Both 1 and 2.
4. Replace my case to support more ventilation. (Least preferred)
If I go this path, should I consider re-using this to support my new rig in 2 years? Or buy a new one in two years (as I assume they would have improved designs by then)?
Any suggestions?​

What do you think the best course for me to take?
A little something about myself:
I've recently come to read about HW, so I'm no where near an expert in this field. I also don't have a background in electronics. As such, I'm not confident in tinkering with my PC components alone (without someone knowledgeable). I'll probably have a tech from a local shop do it. However, even I won't be doing it myself, I want to be as knowledgeable as possible (I hate being tricked by technicians just because I don't know any better).

Please help. I would really like to play BF3 without worrying if my CPU will fry any moment.

Last edited:
Bottom: Outtake (may would have been better as an intake)
:thup: Try to work with airflow path not against it. Hot air tend to rise so your bottom exhaust fan is doing nothing good there.

So about what CPU temp are we talking here? The generic one from your MB software or cores one measured by Realtemp/CoreTemp?

So about what CPU temp are we talking here? The generic one from your MB software or cores one measured by Realtemp/CoreTemp?
I'm not familiar with the difference but I used HWMonitor and SpeedFan.
The 4 cores fluctuate around that value (78 C).

[...] I used HWMonitor and SpeedFan.
The 4 cores fluctuate around that value (78 C).
Good enough, so we're talking about core temperatures.
78°C in load is still OK. Your CPU TJMax is 99 so you still have 21°C to manoever. :)
Temps looks bearable taking into account that your climate is tropical and you're idling at 46°C plus rising heat from your brand new Ferminator.
But if you want better temps you can look after an aftermarket cooler. For example TRUE Spirit and CM Hyper 212+ are good performance/price contenders.

Bottom line IMO you're perfect fine with 78°C on cores in load.

Good enough, so we're talking about core temperatures.
78°C in load is still OK. Your CPU TJMax is 99 so you still have 21°C to manoever. :)
Temps looks bearable taking into account that your climate is tropical and you're idling at 46°C plus rising heat from your brand new Ferminator.
But if you want better temps you can look after an aftermarket cooler. For example TRUE Spirit and CM Hyper 212+ are good performance/price contenders.

Bottom line IMO you're perfect fine with 78°C on cores in load.
Woah, thanks a lot burebista, that's a load off my mind (and wallet)!! :D
Goes to show I still have much to learn.

I'll think about CM Hyper 212+, I'm reading good things about it.
Thanks again.

Back