• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An interesting note on Althon XP temps, and A7v266e MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolfmist

Well I decided to get the Athlon XP unlocking kit, and a Senfu temp prob from HighSpeedPC.com (whom I recommend very highly).

I wanted to unlock it, but have been unsuccesful at doing so, so far.

But my real point is the temp probe.

My MB is an Asus A7v266e. I have seen at least 5 or 6 posts on this forum at people thinking they have high temps. In fact my first thread was about having high temps with this MB and using watercooling.

Well since I got the thermal probe, I can now accuratly say what the real temp is.

BTW I used Hoots directions for the probe (trimming and filing).

So here are the temps:

Temp probe on CPU: 42.4 C
Asus (POS) PC Probe software: 54 C
MBM 5 : 62 C

This is as I suspected. So any of you with this Asus MB or a similar one, and are using the Asus probe or anything which uses the MB temp reader, don't stress yourself out if you have high temps.

Asus has been ****ing me off a lot recently. I have the Geforce 3 8200 deluxe, and the video in does not work, and I found a whole thread about people with the same problem.

My next MB and vidcard are not going to be Asus despite their stability.

Please post if you want to know what components I'm using.

I know one of our members Canubus I believe, went through so many combos since he was sick of the high temps from it...

I'd just recommend people buy a simple probe!

I'm assuming he was using an Asus MB. I'm glad I don't have to wonder if the temp is really 53C anymore.

Just to throw mine in here, I am using a GIGABYTE motherboard, and I thought I was having awfully high temps. Like 50c idle, with no overclocking.

Are you still having those temps, and what kind of cooling do you use. Also how are you measuring it?

Yes, I am still having those temps. I am cooling my processor with a Dragon Orb 3 (air-cooled). The first measurement was in Motherboard Monitor. I was skeptical, so I booted into my BIOS, and it reported 49c.

How many times have you reapplied AS or whatever thermal paste you are using?

BTW how many people out there have had temp monitoring problems with your motherboard?

Im using water cooling with me XP 1800 and A7V266-E and MBM5 is reporting an idle temp of 37 C. When using my Alpha 8045 my temps were around 40-42 C idle. Waiting on my temp probe to get here so I can get an accurate temp reading.:burn:

its not always the boards fault, my soyo is off 12c rite now telling me 42c when its 30.0c

its the airflow, if i stick a fan blowing into the socket area the temp probe tells me closer or lower than the actual cpu temp...

i found that my shuttle board was pretty close. its sensor sticks up in the cpu socket and with water cooling. im sure it was a little bit off as i dont have a thermal probe but typicly it seemd close.

I heard that no airlflow would cause the boards measurement to go up. But there still is airflow in the case.

When I looked in the middle of the socket on my board, I couldn't find anything that people were saying might be there. Like something sticking up, so I'd like to know if thats actually where the board is measuring the temperature.

The temperature of the water was at 30C if anyone is interested.
And ambient was at 24C. Its cold today so everything is down a few degrees. The CPU is at 40c, water at 27.2c, and ambient
21.5c.

msmasitti said:
Just the first time, when I got my CPU. Should I reapply it every so often?

I try and not mess with anything when I get good temps. The problem I think that you might have is that you might not have made good contact when you applied. it. Its hard to get everything perfect, and sometimes it can be uneven which means higher temps.

What you should do is take the heatsink off, and see if it is evenly distributed, and every part of the core was touching it. Then clean it off, and reapply (i use a razor with swift strokes), and then check your temps.

When I had my 1900xp air cooled it was around 55c with this MB, but as my first post stated, I doubt that anything it says is accurate. Ask some people what decent aircooled temps are for your proc.

And get a thermal probe (www.highspeedpc.com). Its great.

What makes you think a CPU side measurement is accurate?

I used to think the Asus CPU probe on AMD setups always read high too, but strictly speaking it doesn't. It has a 10-11C offset, so at a full (CPU HLT) idle it will indeed report temps that are around 10C too high. However, under load the thermistor that Asus uses may or may not be higher than actual temperature. It is just a surface mounted thermistor so it has a huge temperature compression. With water cooling it does indeed report temps that are high (no air moving in the socket area), and for really good air cooling it also reads high. For poor air cooling solutions it still tends to read too low.

ph-diode-tempcomp.gif

Above is a comparison of CPU temperature taken from the internal diode (6657 remote), the backside of CPU ceramic (CPU under), the side of CPU with a flat thermistor(Asus JTPWR), and the Asus socket probe (Asus CPU). Before testing began the system was put into idle with WPCredit (note the Asus CPU probe reading high). That is using an Asus A7V-133, but the same is true for all of the boards except the A7V333 (which apparently reads from the diode). The curves look complicated because that was a quick test of the Thermaltake Volcano 7+ fan, and so I adjusted fan speed from low, medium, to high over the course of the test.

So which temperature is the accurate one? ;)

Very impressive. Is your question a thought provoking one, or a I don't know one? If only my MB had the Diode temp reader enabled, I'd be able to know how acurate the temp probe on the side of the CPU is.

I think it is close for me, but theres just no way I can tell. I'm hoping Hoot will grace us with his infinite wisdom of CPU temperature monitoring...

rhetorical mostly. Figure with calibrated equipment that the hottest reading is closest to the truth :)

pHaestus said:
rhetorical mostly. Figure with calibrated equipment that the hottest reading is closest to the truth :)

Well we all know that Asus like to calibrate its temps way too high. I hope you don't consider their temperatures valid because the highest temp with them is wrong.

Lord of Decay, I have some advise for you for putting on the probe. Bring it in on the side the has the AMD logo. I had contact problems using the Maze2 with all other sides except that one.

Also, What method did you use to unlock you proc? I have been unsucessful so far with the kit I got.

Thanx Wolf for advice on placement of the probe. As for unlocking the CPU Im just doing a FSB O/C right now, still waiting on my Silver Lacquer aka "Silver Print" to come in. I have the kit from www.highspeedpc.com and going to use that gap filler and seal it with clear nail polish before I apply the silver lacquer. I want to get the lower multipliers so I can push my FSB up higher. :burn:

Well we all know that Asus like to calibrate its temps way too high. I hope you don't consider their temperatures valid because the highest temp with them is wrong.

Did you not look at the graph I put up? The two highest readings under load are the internal CPU diode and the CPU back probe. Yes the Asus CPU thermistor is a bad deal (a huge temperature compression slightly compensated for by a 10C offset), but other thermistors are no better (less of a compression but no offset). There is no proof that lowering your temperatures 10C to get even with everyone else's low readings actually provides you with realistic numbers. On the contrary, my results show the opposite...

Back