• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

solder and plyers. Extereme mobo etc MOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nexius

Registered
hi all,

Can some people point me in the right direction. Looking for some good sites / keywords to use when searching google for moding motherboards to do more than what they been built for. And other forms of extreme moding.
Also a guide to what all those small parts on the mobo are would be nice.
[ p.s. any moding with soldering etc.... to get more out of hardware than it has been intended for.]

I have a AMD 550MHz and P54C 90MHz @ 120MHz . Thought i would be fun to feed more power etc... to the P54C some how, tweaking it with some solder etc... to get more power (for fun).

Hey nexius, Welcome to the forums!

I don't think there is such a mod available for your project. See, every model of motherboard is different, and all the routing of parts and traces and layout of components is far different from the next model of motherboard, so a voltage mod is not interchangeable from one board model to another. Each one is "cooked up" by some individual, probably with an electrical engineering background, who is able to fully test the board out to find where the mod could be applied.
And frankly, the mod just wasn't around in the days your board was new (at least that I know of, I saw my first one after the 1G processor came out).

As for components, look at the numbers next to them. As an example C230 would be a capacitor at location 230. R129 is a resistor at location 129. Location numbers refer to the placement program from the SMT machine that put all the small stuff where it is (so you can ignore the numbers). r's are resistors, c's are capacitors, and d's are diodes, ec's are electrolytic capacitors (the large ones), rn's are resistor networks (resistors with multiple legs). I can't think of what fb's and u's are right now.
If a component has 3 legs or solder pad(contacts), then it's a transistor.

u = IC chip

fb Hmmm that one I'm not too sure on but inductor sounds like it might be right but don't quote me on that. It's been a while since I have done anything with my electronics background.

Back