• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you think I need hose clamps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
Do you need hose clamps with Tygon tubing?
Here's my setup for leak testing. I'll need around twenty if that's the case:(
The hoses are over oversized barbs right now and they weren't easy getting on.

If you are using Tygon on oversized barbs, you won't need clamps. I used 1/2" ID tygon R-3603 on a 3/4" Eheim barb (suction side of Eheim 1250) and had to cut the dang thing off in order to remove it. Real Pain... I couldn't pry it off for the life of me (without breaking the pump at least... ) LOL! I wouldn't worry about it. Just know that with oversized barbs, if you remove the Tygon later, and re-apply it for whatever reason, you WILL need hose clamps as it will have stretched out due to larger barbs, and it will not completely reform to its original size. So if you do remove it later, make sure you use hose barbs before re-applying it..

I would put them on even if other people have done the exact same thing with exact same equiptment. Too many variables and too much at stake.

Better safe then sorry

If it were me, I would use hose clamps no matter how well it appears to hold. Tygon is great stuff and you can probably get away with not using Hose clamps depending on the barb size etc.....but I wouldn't be caught dead not using hose clamps.

Hose clamps are important and not expensive and I highly recommend you use them.

;)

PS G.Fishing, thats a pretty neat resevoir redistributing system you have going on there ;)

[Edit] G.Fishing read the PM i just sent you ;)

Last edited:
Silversinksam said:
If it were me, I would use hose clamps no matter how well it appears to hold. Tygon is great stuff and you can probably get away with not using Hose clamps depending on the barb size etc.....but I wouldn't be caught dead not using hose clamps.

Hose clamps are important and not expensive and I highly recommend you use them.

;)

i agree with SSS here, i use tygon and oversized barbs and i always use hoseclamps. i try not to give that something that wants to go wrong that chance to go wrong.

nah, i dont use them, have before but i use 1/2 in copper tubing for the barb and 3/8 vinal tubing.... so it fits snugly... so i dont worry about it...

Very well then, I will spring for the clamps. I will be removing some of them a few times in my testing. Thanks for the informative answers:)

One more question to float out. I've seen places selling the pinch on plastic type clamps with the one way notches, are these as good as metal screw type?

lets see. hose clamps = less than 10 bucks. new DRY system = a lot more.
peace of mind = priceless but only cost about 10 bucks.

or you could try neon colord zipties too.

Yea.. I would def. use hose clamps.. but I use vinyl 1/2" on 1/2" copper barbs.. so can't be trusted.. specially after heat/time ... they really loosen up..

BUT.. Since your setup is pretty tight.. I believe you could easily get away with getting those big plastic tie-straps.. like the guy above me mentioned.. those would work just as well for your situation.. just get the bigger ones cuz you can really snug those up tight using a plyers.. + you can easily un-do them and re-size them with a small screw driver.

Zipties ok, but not for testing.

If you can get the zip tie on tightly on a barb that can take some tugging then good. If you're testing stuff a lot, taking it apart, putting it back together, you might want to stick to something thats reusable.

all of my connections fit quite snugly, but I wouldn't feel comfortable without clamps. To me, its like driving a car without a seatbely or a motorcycle without a helmet- most of the time they are completely unnecessary, but it's not worth the risk of going without.

Back