• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

N00b question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c-sharp minor

Registered
I have a P4 1.7 ghz. In my bios it says:

CPU Speed 800 mhz
CPU Ratio Selection 8.0x
CPU Frequency 100 mhz

I can change the cpu ratio selection which will change the cpu speed. It is supposed to automatically detect my processor and set the settings itself.

If my processor is 1.7ghz, shouldn't I set the rato selection higher to increase the cpu speed?

nb: I set the ratio to 10x and the cpu temps were similar to 8.0x.

Thanks, I'm sooper-n00b. :rolleyes:

Exactly how would I go about unlocking it?

With a pencil?

I really don't want to screw with the innards too much.

Is there software I can dowload to fiddle with my settings?:eh?:

The reason I am asking about this is because my 3dmark 2001 score is barely over 7000 with all updated drivers(as of last night) and a fresh install.

I am assuming my processor is my bottleneck so is there anyway to speed this sucker up?:(

I should mention I have 512 megs of pc(2100) ram and a Geforce Ti400.

Well since you have a Williamette P4, you can try upping the front side bus some in the bios but those chips don't overclock well so don't expect too much. Did you download WCPUID and verify your processor is running at the speed it's supposed to?

Yes, I downloaded cpuid and my processor is running at the proper speed. In fact it is a tiny fraction quicker.

I almost got my 3dbenchmark to 7100! woohoo!:rolleyes:

Your 1.7 gig Willamette P-4 has a default multiplier of 17X and 100 FSB (17X100=1700 MHz or 1.7 gig). The muliplier is locked, just set it to 17X and leave it there. To overclock, you need to raise your CPU clock frequency (assuming your temps look good and you're not running too hot). Try going up to 106 FSB for starters (that'll give you 1.8 gig) and see if your system is still stable and then check temps. Another good way to increase your 3Dmark2001 scores is to update your vid card drivers and overclock the vid card.

Lmao @ Jazz!

Truth be told, my favortie key to play in is d-minor.:D

favortie? wtf?

I believe I meant favorite. heheh

Typing with a cast on sucks.:(

Oh yeah, I can't change my fsb settings in my bios. It's american megatrends. I think I have to change some jumper settings. I guess.

Last edited:
Back