• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'in a P4 Northwood, whats best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Check-X

I'm pretty set on getting a Pf 1.6a to OC for my next machine. I was wondering what is the best chipset would be. I'm personally leaning towards an intel i850e or i850 using 1066Mhz RDRAM, but I was wondering how well PC3000 CAS 2.0 DDR ram would perform when OC'd on a i854g chipset.

well, i'm no fan of rambus, so i went with a ddr system. from what i've been reading, rambus doesn't oc that well. i'm not sure how well the 1066mhz stuf oc's, tho, so that may not be an issue. i picked up a 512 stick of cas 2 pc2700 and am quite happy with it...tho the price has fallen quite a bit in the past week which makes me not so happy :\

anyway, spending $88 on a 512 stick of pc2700 will hurt a lot less than spending $256 on 2-256 meg sticks of rambus. as for performance, i really don't think you'll be able to see a difference between the two rams...besides, if you're like me, you'll only be using it for another year =)

with my bus, i have the ram running @ 314mhz cas 2. sandra spits out this -- 2389/2385 (granted this is after having the comp on all day). also, you have to take into account latency ~6ns for ddr & ~32ns for rambus--bandwidth means nothing if you can't get it there fast enough!

hope this helps you make your decision :)

Back