• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can I replace this capacitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warlord2

I have a AK31 and there is a capacitor or something right by the chipset. Well its so close I cant attach a waterblock to it. I want to know if I can somehow take it out and maybe replace it with a nother one that is longer so I can bend it out of the way.I have a died ak31 that I can do anything with, to practice with.

has anyone ever done this mod?

Do you think its posible to do this?

it is very possible to do that,i have seen people do it when they broke a cap. off or froied one, im sure someone will chime in and tell you how to go about doing that

My Volcano 7+ Is on my capaciator.... its pressing really hard against it. And it works ifne

Specz

1700 AMD ATHLON XP @ 1900 Stable AGOGA
512MB OF PC1600/2100 Mixed (Running at 1600)
GeForce 2 ULTRA 64MB DDR
Tempatures at 1700 - 98F LOAD
Tempatures are 1900 - 104F LOAD
Case Tempatures 29.3C

Proud Member of PK-HQ Seti@Home 24/7

Wanting to be a O/C Member Folder

Crunching at 3972 MHz

bump

naw it needs to be moved there is no way I can put a ~2" block on the chipset when the capacitor is there.

I have been trying to take the capacitor off my died board and I cant seem to unsolder it, is there a trick or something?

ok I finaly got the capacitor off of my died board. I think took 2 short strands of copper wire, very thin and connected thim to the places where the cap came from, I thin soldered the other ends to the capacitor I just took off. To insolate I just used some electrical tape to make sure it doesnt short anything out.

do you think this would work on my good board???I dont want to try it untell I get an answer.

so what you mean is you bascily extended the legs on the cap? if thats the case and you insulated them real well i don't see any reason why it won't work, however you better wait for someone else to reply but i don't see any reason why it won't work

There's nothing wrong with extending part of a circuit with strands of copper wire. I did the same thing when I put a blue LED in my mouse, and I haven't had a problem with it since.

Back