• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a friends computer...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JudgeDredd

I'm building a new computer for my friend, here is what I have. Note that he has already bought his Video Card and Hard Drive, and he has Windows 2000.

Asus P4T533-C Motherboard
Pentium IV 1.6A GHz 400 MHz FSB
Samsung 256 MB PC-800 memory sticks - x2

Antec Workstation Tower Model SX1030- w/ Antec 300Watt PSU
Sony 1.44 MB 3.5" HD FDD
Lite On 52x CD-ROM - Model LTN-526

This is the first computer I'm ever going to build, but I know all about it. I took A+ Computer Repair last year in High School. I'm probably just going to o/c it to 2.4 GHz. I got the new P4T533 because it's not much more and it has onboard LAN.

He wanted to keep it under $700, so no sound card, and it comes out to about $660 on NewEgg w/ shipping. I might just throw an SB Live! in there cause I heard they are cheap. Motherboard has onboard sound anyway.

Please tell me what you think.

Sorry if this is supposed to go on the General Computer Related Discussion, I am posting it in here because I didn't want 50 posts saying I should go AMD.
-JD

Good system! Although I'm not that familiar with that particular asus board.

Remember though that RDRAM is great stuff but trickier to overclock. If you want a sure bet to 2.4 ghz or beyond I'd probably go with ddr maybe with the abit bd7II or the epox 4bda2+...... You'll probably get plenty of arguments against what I'm saying here because rdram is so exceptional with p4s.:argue:

1Time said:
Won't you need a video card? If so, how much are you spending?

I stated above that he has already bought his video card.

I'm getting RDRAM because for one, he requested it, and two, it has so much more bandwidth than DDR. Thanks for the opinions so far. This is gonna be the first computer I ever build, I don't wanna mess it up... ;)

i will be willing to bet that you will be able to run the mem at 140 fsb x4.:D if you oc above that, you will lose mem bandwidth, so you prolly want to stay at 2240, the extra 160 mhz wont be worth it to lose the mem bandwidth.:D

jdmcnudgent

Who is that girl you have on the button of your name?

Sheesh, She's Hot =D

Truth or not..

My friend says alot of people say NorthWoods SUCK

True?

HaywirE said:
jdmcnudgent

Who is that girl you have on the button of your name?

Sheesh, She's Hot =D

Truth or not..

My friend says alot of people say NorthWoods SUCK

True?

Why are you so interested in whether they SUCK or not? Yes the girl sucks and northwoods don't, but wouldn't it be nice if they did too then they'd really be perfect.;)

(Happy? Someone finally replied to your troll.:mad: )

jdmcnudgent said:
i will be willing to bet that you will be able to run the mem at 140 fsb x4.:D if you oc above that, you will lose mem bandwidth, so you prolly want to stay at 2240, the extra 160 mhz wont be worth it to lose the mem bandwidth.:D

JD - that issue has been burning in my mind..to-wit: when are you better off sacrificing raw cpu mhz's for memory bandwidth?

I am able to run my cpu up to 2.78 at 1:1 but at 2.56 @ 3:4 I get a ton more memory bandwidth. I chose the latter because I did about 200 points better in 3dmark2001se with the more agressive memory but slower cpu....

Gee, did I just answer my own question?:confused: :confused:

micamica1217 said:
you will be fine.

take it up to 150x3x2=900/2.4 ghz

what are you useing for cooling???

mica

Since the Northwoods run cool, especially the 1.6A, and I'm not o/cing it much, just the retail heatsink. It should be fine.

Yeah, I'll do 150x3x2=900/2.4 ghz like you said, or go jd's way. Depends how much the memory can do.

It has Samsung 800 on it, but it's out of stock right now and he wants to order tommorrow most likely. I'll probably be getting Kingston 800 to replace it. Do you think that would do 1066?

look...

go to googlegear.com

they have them in stock.

also I'm running the samsung pc800 256mb non-eec (x2) right now at 133x4x2.(1066)

I'm still testing,but so far so good.

also you might want to getting a better HSF if you go over 133fsb.

look at this...133fsb x4x2

here

and here

just a thought.

mica

also kingston ram stinks...at least the 1066 stinks.

look at abit forum about kinston 1066 rdram.

yes I know that you are thinking about pc800,but go with the best...samsung is the sticks to buy.

micamica1217

I need to update my profile...samsung pc800 at 133x4x2:D

Back