• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1055T Overclock 4.2Ghz on Asus Crosshair IV Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mt_196

Registered
Hi all guys I need an help reaching 4.2Ghz with my Phenom II x6 1055T. My configuration is:

Phenom II x6 1055T
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
8 gb Corsair xms3 1600Mhz
Asus Crosshair IV Formula
Enermax modu 85+ 920W

I'm actually stable with 1.45V of vcore and 100% load line calibration, rams are 1445Mhz at 1.65V, NB 2800Mhz at 1.21V and HT at 2800Mhz. I tested with OCCT and now I'm using for about 2 weeks without any problem. Temps are below 60 degree but I have to change the thermal grease to lower even more the temp (has 5 years)

What do you guys think? Do I need to go up with vcore or I can just try going up with cpu freq and test stability?

Mt_196 welcome to the forum. Run Occt or Prime 95 with Hwmonitor open for 20 minutes, then post a screen shot of Hwmonitor as well as the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory. It will give us a better look under the hood so to speak. Here is how to host the screen shots.
Capture4.PNG

Hi, and thanks for the welcome. Didn't mention before, but sorry for my English I come frome Italy :)

I'm trying to fix a problem the latest AMD driver made to my PC right now that make my pc crash with no reason. After that i'll post the screenshots you asked.

25-11 38Ghz RS.jpg

So, these are the screen required. Hope they will help. Remember that I have to change the termic grease, that's probably the reason why I'm hitting that max temp

I doubt changing the TIM is going to make a big difference, maybe 2-3c tops. Don't worry about English not being your native language, I understand just fine. As far as your temps go, I doubt 4.2 is doable with the current cooling you have. You only have about 2-3c headroom in temps now. You can try to put some fans on the VRM section of the motherboard as well as the rear of the socket to see if you can get the socket temps down a bit. That said these Phenom II/Thuban chips may start losing stability around 55c on the cores.

When i buyed the CPU 5 years ago the max temp was 54° on OC. My Fan configuration is the seguent, every arrow is a fan. The one in font of HD and the one intake on the top of the CPU are the less powerfull with less air flow, the others are all the same, the green line is a divisor made by "rigid paper" in order to not mix fresh and hot air.

images.duckduckgo.jpg

When i buyed the CPU 5 years ago the max temp was 54° on OC. My Fan configuration is the seguent, every arrow is a fan. The one in font of HD and the one intake on the top of the CPU are the less powerfull with less air flow, the others are all the same, the green line is a divisor made by "rigid paper" in order to not mix fresh and hot air.
Looks like you have enough airflow, you could try and flip that fan on top to Exhaust and see if it makes a difference. That said you're cutting it close with the Cpu socket temp of 59c. What case do you have? Is it the one pictured which I believe is a Cooler Master 690 II? If you have a 120mm fan cut out on the right side panel put a fan there it will help drop the Cpu Socket temps. I mount a 80mm fan using zip ties on my Crosshair V formula to help also, see picture.
IMG_3964a.jpg

The case is the same, i just have one fan on the Noctua because i put the other on the case in exhaust. I can try switching the intake cpu fan, but i don't know if I can put another fan because probably my Mobo connectors are finished, I need to look. In one of the following days i'll replace the TIM and make some fan configuration trials.

I was wondering, can I try to go up with cpu frequency mantaining the vocore and see if I'm stable? Do you think I will achieve something?

The case is the same, i just have one fan on the Noctua because i put the other on the case in exhaust. I can try switching the intake cpu fan, but i don't know if I can put another fan because probably my Mobo connectors are finished, I need to look. In one of the following days i'll replace the TIM and make some fan configuration trials.

I was wondering, can I try to go up with cpu frequency mantaining the vocore and see if I'm stable? Do you think I will achieve something?
Ok report back with what you find as far as the fans and TIM replacement.

Yes you can try and push further and leave the Voltage as is. The only way to find out if it will do it is to try.

4.2 GHz is a helluva an everyday overclock for a 1055T. It is a great overclock for an 1100T.

Well I'm just trying to reach a frequency near that, I'll use my 3.8Ghz freq as a Daily use, but I want to know how much can I go further. I'll probably buy a new Gpu (maybe Arctic Islands?) and I want to be sure that if it will be necessary my cpu can go faster and not bottleneck too much the new card

Ok well, I'm stable with same vcore at 3.9Ghz trying to run the 4
I add a fan at the cooler and now I have 2 degrees less, I could change the Tim because I have to rebuy it...

EDIT: Nothing to do, 4.0Ghz does not boot even with 1.52V, so i think i reached my CPU Oc wall at 1.39Ghz, not bat at all I think. Do you think C1E will make my oc unstable?

Last edited:
Some Phenom II processors love voltage exceeding 1.6v. Had several that would run 4.4ghz at 1.650v stable. 965BE and 565BE for example where not stable until jumping that big hurdle.

However the 1090T (that I had actually de-lidded) was only good for 3.8ghz at best with any true stability, 4ghz being a pipe dream good for validation only.

C1E works in conjunction with Cool and Quiet. While manually overclocking and C&Q off, it may not do anything at all.

Ok, one more question is it the Nb and HT better at 2800 or at 2500? I read that works better near 2500 with cpu at about 3.9Ghz on am3

There's no noticeable difference in performance with either speed while running daily clocks. Run what's stable. Phenom II was pretty stable up to 3ghz NB/HT clocks linked but required adequate voltage to do so.

If memory serves me today, CPU/NB at 1.45v and HT at 1.3v should net 2.8 - 3.0ghz NB/HT speeds.

I was running 2800 Mhz @ 1.31V, now i'm running 2560Mhz to test the differencies.

The bad thing is that i can't really make my RAM move from 8-9-8-24 1T 1500Mhz 1.65V (stocks are 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz 1.65V).

However the 1090T (that I had actually de-lidded) was only good for 3.8ghz at best with any true stability, 4ghz being a pipe dream good for validation only.

That 3.8 GHz sounds like a surprisingly low value. Mine seemed to be stable at 3.5 GHz on stock voltages. The socket temp just went beyond 70C during Prime95 due to my CPU cooler, so I gave up on it for now.

In any case, 3.9 GHz from a 1055T sounds very good. Someone on another forum claimed to have had a 1050T running stably at 4.1 GHz, but the cooling on that system must have been of a considerably heavier caliber.

Back