• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120 or 127mm fan over 90CFM and under 35dB(A)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bradsm87

Registered
Hi,

I'm looking for some reeealy nice 120 or 127mm fans to put on my 2 Black Ice Xtreme 2 radiators. I will be using shrouds.

What is the QUIETEST 120 - 130mm fan that I can purchase with an airflow of over 90CFM?

I just got some Sanyo/Denki fans off ebay and they should be here soon. There is another thread asking basically the same question and these fans came up. They are 100+ CFM I believe and 36db's. They are also recommened by SSS and you can get them on ebay.

Well I planned on linking to them but the guy that usually sells them does not seem to have any up for auction right now.

His ebay ID is Dockguys and you should email him I bet he will set up an auction for you. Also he said he will ship worldwide (I noticed your from australia).

Sidewindercomputers has some 120mm Panaflows (G12M). They're rated at 88CFM at 35dba. At 7.8v I can barely hear them over my old 5400rpm Maxtor slave drive, but I'm going to make a controller that puts them at 6.1v.

If you had 2 of these on a rad in your case, you'd barely hear them if you played music/games, especially at 7 volts.

Pabst fans are also very quiet, but I'm not sure their sleeved bearings (basicly a bushing on a bushing) will last long before they squeek. They are balanced, and have one of the best noise to cfm ratios.

Another option if price is a problem, is Sunon. You migh have problems finding them now, but they used to have lots of diff. models, all having very good noise to cfm ratios.

Papst also make ball bearing fans. I am actually weary of panaflo because they're the ones with sleeve bearings. they claim to have these washers that reduce axial friction but with ball bearings, axial friction is not an issue. I can't fing any of those nice Enermax fans in Australia so I think I'll end up with a 127mm papst fan. They're made in Germany so they must be allright. It's the 5212NM which is 110CFM and 43dB(A). I have 3 Zalman fan controllers lying around so I'll probably run them at about 8 - 9 volts cuz I still need a lot of air to krank through. The thing I don't like about them is that they have a HUGE dead spot in the middle so I will have to use at least a 2" shroud. I get stuck over the stupidest things but I've made so many mistakes on my last 2 computers.

When put on radiator, it's hard to have that noise to efficiency ratio.
Fans can push air being almost noiseless under no load, but when air is harder to push...

Anyway - I'm for Enermax / Papst with speed controller (Enermax has speed controller, but even on lowest speed it's pretty powerful).

Back