• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120GB HDD: IBM/Hitachi or WD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ian

IBM/Hitachi 180GXP 120GB (8MB cache)
Western Digital WD1200JB

I'm getting a new HDD to replace my IBM 75GXP (just died :mad: ), need 120GB with 8MB cache, P-ATA as my 8RDA has no native support for a S-ATA drive.

Which one of them will you choose? I'm more concern about the reliability than speed. By the way, performance difference between them is minimal right?

Also, I must get one with a 3-year warranty, as you see, HDD are so fragile nowadays.

IBM are nice drives (a tad pricey if I recall) I use Maxtors and WD's myself. so I would go with a WD if your looking for a 3 year warranty

I cant get my self to trust IBM anymore after what happened with the GXP drives :p

I run 2 Maxtor Drives and a WD Drive

For 120GB i would go with the WD JB drive

One of my friends has 2 of them and another friend has the 200GB JB drive,, and they are FAST compaired to my Maxtor with the 2MB cache

MoPMatrix said:
I cant get my self to trust IBM anymore after what happened with the GXP drives :p

I run 2 Maxtor Drives and a WD Drive

For 120GB i would go with the WD JB drive

One of my friends has 2 of them and another friend has the 200GB JB drive,, and they are FAST compaired to my Maxtor with the 2MB cache

well obviously an 8mb cache drive will be faster than a 2 mb cache drive :D

I run 2 40gig Maxtor 2MB
1 120Gig 8MB WD
1 200gig 8mb WB
1 120gig 8mb Maxtor.....

all are very nice and fast but of course, WD still has the 3 year warranty

I would go with an IBM if I just wanted quality. I'm not so great on Maxtor because I've had to RMA 3 of their Non-Diamond Max Plus 80GB drives until they actually gave me a Diamond Max Plus. So if your buying Maxtor, don't skimp. Western Digital is good, but aren't most of their drives just ATA 100? Also, if sound is an issue, Seagate Barracuda IV's are supposed to be really quiet...

As I'm watercooled now, I think I'll be looking at Seagate Barracuda drives next time I buy a HDD. My computer is so quiet now, the 2 western digital HDD's are the loudest thing in my case!

It's kinda by accident (some were freebies), but of the five hard drives I currently own, four are western digital. I have never had one die on me. One is an OLD 2 gig, one is an even OLDER 750 mb...they're still running strong today!

The 2 gig I own started getting bad sectors once. It happened slowly over a couple of weeks. I backed up all of the data that was on it, and did a low-level format with western digital's Data Lifeguard tools, and she's as good as new!

So I'm a little biased towards western digitals.

And I just can't quite get over IBM's fiasco with their DeskStar or whatever drives that kept dying. Maybe I'll be able to trust them again eventually.

BTW....there is a storage message board here that might give you a better response to your questions.

DarkJediSleikas said:
I have one of the "Deathstar" drives and it hasn't died on me yet. If reliability is a big issue, though, you should get a WD since they have the 3 year warranty.

Agreed, WD is the way to go. Look around, there may even be a sale. They have had a lot of sales on them of late because they are coming out with the new SATA drives, but don't let that bother you, it just means better prices!

After IBM thumbed their nose at me and told me I was on my own, they can kiss my backside. They don't seem to mind selling you a top dollar drive that's got known issues. Even in the midst of class action lawsuits concerning them.

I run the maxtor fluid drives now, and I love them.
I've also always had great luck with western digital drives too.
From there out, it's a matter of preference. For me, the maxtor's were the only ones with ATA133 at the time, and the fluid bearings were supposed to be very quiet (and they are).

Just please God, don't buy from a local chain who...uh...store like worst buy or chump usa. You'll pay more than online unless they have a rebate you have to wait a couple of months for. ;)

Thanks for the replies guys, I have got myself a Western Digital.

I based my purchase not on performance but by reliability, you know, IBM/Hitachi 180GXP is currently the fastest drive but they are simply to new and I'm not confident in them.

Long live the 1200JB! :D

as my sig shows i have a WD and a maxtor, personally i have always liked WD better and now having both of them in the same system the WD is a bit faster and quieter.

Back