• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120v auxillary fan=EM interference???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PsYcO CyBrArIaN

Would a 120mm, 120v, metal-cased fan from my air-hockey table cause EM interference when placed inside my PC case? I was thinking it would be nice tob e able to use this fan in my blowhole as it is very powerful and I can turn it on/off with a switch outside the case. When I placed it atop my monitor to exhaust the heat from it, it produced an oscillation in the picture of the monitor. I assumed this is no good and removed it and now I am writing this. Any input is greatly appreciated.
THX in advance.

120 volts in a 120mm fan?
Not sure about the interference thing but you'll need earmuffs if you want to use it in your computer

If you decide to try it let me know how it works, I have a 5inch fan in a poastic case thats probably a lot less powerful that would fit just right on top of my case but been worried about emi.

Most 120VAC fans, especially ones with metal housings do not inherently produce EMI/RFI. They are used widely in communications equipment and believe me, comm equipment is much more sensitive to EMI/RFI than the circuitry inside a PC.

That, having been said, I'm sure there is always an exception to the rule, but unless an AC fan is defective, it should not pose a problem. They don't all necessarily represent a detrimental sound noise source any more than their DC counterpart for the same cfm. As a matter of fact, my personal experience is that many AC equivalent fans are more quiet than their DC counterpart for the same cfm.

I think many people avoid them for the simple reason that 12V DC is more readily available inside a PC than 120VAC and if they screw up, having a 12V DC short circuit is less frightening than a 120VAC short circuit.

Hoot

The reason you got interference on your monitor is due to the magnetic field. It's entirely possible that ANY fan would cause that. Monitors are extremely sensitive to magnetic fields and your fan produces a nice rotating field (which is why the monitor image was shaking). If you're wanting to avoid magnetic interference with your monitor, your best bet would be to get a smaller fan or try to find a magnetically shielded one. Or move it further away and duct the air.

THX for all responses. I have installed the fan in my blowhole and as far as I can tell it has not caused any problems. It is in such close proximity to the PSU, though, that I worry it may be doing something in there that I will not be able to detect.
I guess its time to mount that PSU externally like I always wanted to do!

THX again, all.

Back