• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$1261 AMD system or $1429 Intel System?...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soccrstar

Registered
OK,

I decided if i'm going to upgrade my current 2.66ghz p4 w/ gigabyte sinxp1394 mobo using generic ram

i might as well go with latest stuff
as i'm not going to change it again for nother 1-2years as i've had this system for year and half now

i already have a monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 191T 19" LCD )
I currently have a logitech elite pro keyboard w/ logi MX700 (waiting for MX1000 to be bundled with a keyboard b4 purchasing)
I currently already have a sounbaster audigy 2 platinum sound card
I currently already have a Logitech Z-680 5.1 THX certifed sound system
I currently already have a HP PSC2210 All-In-One Printer

i picked out some items both on intel and amd side
if you going to change anything on either list feel free to do so and also which of 2 that you'd choose

now i got couple questions:
1) how long (tech wise, etc) would these systems last?....
2) of course i'm going to be overclocking no way gone spend $600.00+ on cooling system and not overclock so.... Which would give me the best high performance overclocking wise (i'm going to be mostly DVD authoring, encoding, transcoding, converting, mp3ing, burning, heavy duty multi-tasking, Quickpar recovering, extraction, and compressing.
here are the 2 systems
1) AMD - If i go AMD i will buy the CPU, Mobo, and dvd burner for now and buy the rest of system as i get money
2) Intel - if i go Intel i will buy CPU, mobo, dvd burner, and RAM now and buy rest later as i dont currently own DDR2 ram
Thanks for your input!!!!!!!
AMD System
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache, Socket 939...........$271.00
Motherboard:GIGABYTE GA-K8NF-9 nForce4 Motherboard..........$150.00
Ram: OCZ EL DC Series Gold Edition 1GB(512MBx2) DDR pc4400..$325.00
DVD Burner: Sony DRU710A.....................................................$92.00
Hard Drive1: Western Digital 36.7GB 10K RPM SATA Hard Drive..$110.00
Hard Drive2: Western Digital 36.7GB 10K RPM SATA Hard Drive..$110.00
Video Card: SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon X700 PRO Video Card..........$203.00
Total Cost (includ Shipping) =.................................$1261

Intel System

CPU: Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 550 3.4 GHz...............................$281.00
Motherboard: ABIT "Fatal1ty AA8XE" 925XE Motherboard..........$248.00
Ram: Corsair XMS2 Pro Series DC Kit 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR2 PC2-5400..$385.00
DVD Burner: Sony DRU710A.....................................................$92.00
Hard Drive1: Western Digital 36.7GB 10K RPM SATA Hard Drive..$110.00
Hard Drive2: Western Digital 36.7GB 10K RPM SATA Hard Drive..$110.00
Video Card:SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon X700 PRO Video Card...........$203.00
sub-Total Cost (includ Shipping) =......................$1429.00

P.S. Going Peltier

I currently already have a dual slot floppy resevoir
I currently already have a black ice radiator
I currently already have a black ice pro radiator
I currently already have a meanswell 320 pelt PSU
I currently already have a ehiem water pump

should i go 360w pelt waterblock or go water chilling via swiftech MCH-452? http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc45thlich.html if i go 360w pelt i will need the 600w meanswell PSU
if i go waterchill i will need a 2nd 320w PSU and a waterblock or maby put 360w pelt on CPU and use waterchiller to run water thru it?.... dont know if that would be sufficient worth the cost vs just going one or either

WaterBlock: Dominator Pro 360 Watt Qmax TEC Waterblock:...........$200
PSU: Meanwell SE-600-24 600W:....................................................$175
GPU: Swiftech MCW50-T:...............................................................$75
Black Ice Xtreme III Triple 120mm Radiator........................................$135
Tubing, clips, misc items................................................................$50
Sub-Total.......................................................................................$635

I like Intel for all those things you mentioned (mostly DVD authoring, encoding, transcoding, converting, mp3ing, burning, heavy duty multi-tasking, Quickpar recovering, extraction, and compressing). The AMD might have a slight edge in gaming, but Intel still rules in multitasking and video encoding.

You could save some big cash by getting the Abit AA8XE instead of the Fatal1ty mobo (it's the same thing minus all the fancy gimmicks. Crucial PC2-4200 RAM is cheaper too and will O/C to PC2-5400 speeds. Of course, the vid card needs to be a PCI-E.

How long will it last? Depends on high radical you get with overclocking. Looks like you have good cooling. But, high voltage will degrade an Intel more than anything. As long as you don't try running excessive voltages, then I see no reason why it won't last the full 3 years warranty on the retail Intel CPU.

The gap between AMD and Intel in encoding has been narrowing for some time and now it's virtually nil. The best reason to go with the P4(IMO) is for HTT, and frankly I don't think it's reason enough...again my opinion. I'd probably scratch the 3500+ and save $100 with a 3200+ winnie. If you're going to do some serious OCing(and who wouldn't) then the difference between the two chips is probably not going to be worth $100. Additionally though I don't know much about your particular AMD MB choice, the Gigabyte boards I've had, though fine boards in terms of reliability and features, were not particularly good overclockers. Were it up to me I'd stick with an nForce3 ultra board for the time being. MSI's NEO2 platinum is nice(mine arrives tommorrow) or you could wait for DFI's. Just some thoughts.

Oh...one thing more. I was under the impression that Samsung TCCD memory was all the rage with the new crop of A64s. In particular G.Skill is supposed to be a cheap great performing brand. Now I'm using OCZ PC4000EL right now with my AN7 and I used the same 2x512 kit with my last s754 board, they're fine, but there's better for the $$$ now. I'd look into this memory and search these forums alot of folks are far more up to date on this than I am.

http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0

I'd go with the AMD system, but with slight changes. For one, the 3500+ is not worth the extra cash, and unless I told you which was which, you would not be able to tell 2 pc's using either chip apart. Secondly, that ram is gross overkill. Athlon64's are not bandwidth starved. Rather, get 4x512 or 2x1gb of pc3200 or 3500 and just lower the ram divider when you overclock. 240x10 with a 5:4 ratio = 200mhz ram and 2.4ghz on the cpu.

EDIT: Hows about your case and power supply?

soccrstar said:
ABIT "Fatal1ty AA8XE" 925XE Motherboard
Don't take their bait dude. All you're paying for is show. Take batboy's advice and shy away from any motherboard marketed toward "gamers" unless it can seriously justify its claims with added functionality. Most of them can't, and all you end up paying for are pretty colors and a case decal. IMO most of it just gets in the way anyway. I like my systems lean and minimalist. Less stuff to get in the way of a good OC that way.

As always this is the first question you need to answer in order to tailor your choice of hardware to application:
Mr.Guvernment said:
What will be the main use of this system?

Slackfumasta said:
Intel IMO.

Any particular reason? You were rather short on detail there. I see you have both Intel and AMD as do I, but I think it's a no contest win for AMD. Particularly where price/performance is the primary concern. I trust you're not judging AMD based solely on your AN7 experience. I don't exactly hate mine, but I'm not overly impressed with it either.

based on the response i got from all of you and i am awesomely greatful for

It is ruled to go AMD but with the following changes, based on your opnions and recommendations

BTW: where can i get this TCCD ram, and i been hearing some stuff bout OCZ VX memory next best thing to BH-5....

What i am going to be doing with the system is DVD authoring, encoding, transcoding, converting, mp3ing, burning, heavy duty multi-tasking, Quickpar recovering, Par Creation, extraction, and compression and gaming
If you have any opnions, recommendations, changes to system, feel free to post

first things that will be bought will be the case, cpu, gpu, and motherboard. dvd burner will follow as will rest of the items

Sub-Final System

AMD System

CASE: Lian Li Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Case Model PC-75B..$220.00
Motherboard:GIGABYTE GA-K8NF-9 nForce4 Motherboard..........$150.00
Ram:OCZ Platinum EL DC Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-4200..$375.00
DVD Burner: Pioneer Black DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model DVR-108..$80.00
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA, Model WD740GD..$185.00
Hard Drive2 (storage): WD 250GB 7200RPM IDE, MODEL WD2500JB..$145.00
Hard Drive3 (storage): WD 250GB 7200RPM IDE, MODEL WD2500JB..$145.00
Video Card: ASUS ATI Radeon X700 PRO Video Card, 256MB GDDR3.......$250.00
Total Cost (includ Shipping) =.................................$1821.00

Cooling Wise, it got modified as well based on opinions and recommendations. i used to run 226w n 50w pelt on same loop and BIX and BIP would burn your hands it got so hot so from learnin' from that i've decided to go 2 separate loops, thus the pump and resevoir being purchased. currently own ehiem 1260.

CPU waterblock: Swiftech MCW5002-64 Liquid Cooled TEC...$140.00
GPU waterblock: MAZE4-1GPU Peltier Version....................$75.00
Radiator: Black Ice Xtreme III Triple 120mm Radiator.............$130.00
Misc tubing, clips, etc........................................................$50.00
resevoir: Danger Den Bay Reservoir High-Density..................$25.00
Pump: Eheim 1048...........................................................$65.00
subtotal....................................$485.00

newegg.com sells the stuff. Haven't looked for a better price, but it looks pretty reasonable. It's sold by G.skill.

Not budging on that processor? Seem like too much of a comprimise?

soccrstar said:
What i am going to be doing with the system is DVD authoring, encoding, transcoding, converting, mp3ing, burning, heavy duty multi-tasking, Quickpar recovering, Par Creation, extraction, and compression and gaming

If your gonna be doing that, an intel would be much better for u. IF you do decide amd, i dont think i would get the k8nf9. I think its the plain nforce4 board, meaning cutt down htt bus, 1600. Just a thought to look into.

I'm wondering what you are basing your choice of the Gigabyte motherboard on. I hope it isn't reviews. My Gigabyte GA7-VRX got stellar reviews all over the place when it was new, but it turned out it is a real dog with several problems. I'd have a good look around the motherboard areas here, and if there are no members vouching for it, stear clear. Also you might want to look in the Gigabye forum over at AMDMB and see if there are any complaints. I personally will want a lot of convincing to risk buying another Gigabyte motherboard again, I'm happier with my ECS K7S5A.

The notion that Intel still commands a big lead in content creation or encoding just doesn't hold up any more. AMD has all but leveled the playing field with Intel in these areas.

Thank You all for your continued feedback, i have continued to modify the selection based on your recommendations, it seems more is weighin' the 6600GT over the x700p
and to scratch the gigabyte and ocz ram well i did some. i opped for 3x200GB=600GB for 25 bucks more over 2x250gb drives. with all the refines only 30 bucks more. I want to keep the 64 3500+ because of the higher multiplier... upgrade video to 6800GT. that will be good for several years, if games become more demanding can always add a 2nd one n go SLI

Refined-Final System

AMD System

CASE: Lian Li Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Case Model PC-75B..$220.00
Motherboard: DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-D..........$300.00???
Ram: G.skill (Samsung TCCD) DC Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR PC-4400..$280.00
DVD Burner: Pioneer Black DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model DVR-108..$80.00
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA, Model WD740GD..$185.00
Hard Drive2 (storage):WD 200GB 7200RPM IDE, Model WD2000BB.....$105.00
Hard Drive3 (storage):WD 200GB 7200RPM IDE, Model WD2000BB.....$105.00
Hard Drive4 (storage):WD 200GB 7200RPM IDE, Model WD2000BB.....$105.00
Video Card:ASUS nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card, 128MB.........$325.00
Total Cost (includ Shipping) =.................................$1976.00

Cooling Wise, it got re-modified as well based on opinions and recommendations. since going Nvidia with GPU waterblock gotta change to DD NV-68 and its non-pelt so going to have to go 2 loops.

now would a BIX n BIP in series be efficient enough to cool a HDD and a overclocked 6800GT?... or should i just get a dual 120mm heatercore for videocard w/ HDD cooler.
i rather go pelt on it but dangerden doesnt yet have a pelt combo for it so going to wait on it. course not going to get everything at once. first 2 getting first is the CPU waterblock n BIX3. others will com Later in time

CPU waterblock: Swiftech MCW5002-64 Liquid Cooled TEC.......$140.00
GPU waterblock: The Danger Den NV-68 waterblock................$135.00
Radiator: Black Ice Xtreme III Triple 120mm Radiator...............$130.00
Misc tubing, clips, etc............................................... .........$60.00
Asetek Hard Drive Cooler 3.5 in. Bay.....................................$62.00
Eheim 1048.............................................. ........................$55.00
Danger Den Bay Reservoir High-Density Polyethylene...............$25.00
2x FluidXP+ water replacement....................................... .....$80.00
Double Heater Core with Fittings.......................................... $65.00? (maby)
subtotal....................................$752.00

soccrstar said:
Which would give me the best high performance overclocking wise (i'm going to be mostly DVD authoring, encoding, transcoding, converting, mp3ing, burning, heavy duty multi-tasking, Quickpar recovering, extraction, and compressing.

Everyone keeps asking what he's going to use the computer for and he states that in the first post. Don't let the AMD fanboys tell you different. All those things you mention point to Intel. AMD still can't touch Intel for multitasking and video encoding. You don't have to believe me, go look at some reviews.

OMG... $300 for a mobo? Sheesh, you can pick up a good mobo and Intel CPU both for $300. There is a combo in the classifieds right now for that price.

Last edited:
batboy said:
Everyone keeps asking what he's going to use the computer for and he states that in the first post. Don't let the AMD fanboys tell you different. All those things you mention point to Intel. AMD still can't touch Intel for multitasking and video encoding. You don't have to believe me, go look at some reviews.

OMG... $300 for a mobo? Sheesh, you can pick up a good mobo and Intel CPU both for $300. There is a combo in the classifieds right now for that price.

*cough cough* trying to advertise batboy ;) I still think u should go intel. based on what u said your gonna do with your computer.

TimoneX said:
Any particular reason? You were rather short on detail there. I see you have both Intel and AMD as do I, but I think it's a no contest win for AMD. Particularly where price/performance is the primary concern. I trust you're not judging AMD based solely on your AN7 experience. I don't exactly hate mine, but I'm not overly impressed with it either.

I'm not up on the A64 all that much, but I can say that after owning both an AMD system (built by me) and an Intel laptop (built by Dell), I really like the HT technology on the P4. It's quite noticable when you are trying to do several things at once, though it doesn't do anything for games that I can see.

I like both of my systems quite a lot, but to me the extra $100 or so is worth it to go with a HT processor.

However, if it's going to be a straight gaming system, then the AMD probably is the way to go.

trueplaya4ever8 said:
*cough cough* trying to advertise batboy ;) I still think u should go intel. based on what u said your gonna do with your computer.

I wouldn't...unless of course your furnace is on the fritz and you need your PC to heat your room too. ;p

Back