• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 12GB In New Build - 3x4GB or 6x2GB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eMpTy43

Registered
I'm building my first power pc :comp: and am trying to get everything right the first time. I'd like some solid reasons why and opinions on which RAM to get for the tentative setup below:

- Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Case
- ASUS Rampage III Extreme Mobo (1366/X58)
- Intel Core i7-980x Gulftown 3.33Ghz (1366) Six-Core Processor
- 12GB DDR3 RAM
- HIS ATI Radeon 5970 (Hemlock) 2GB (512(256x2)-bit) GDDR5 PCIe 2.1x16
- OCZ V2 90GB 2.5” SATA II SSD (OS BOOT DRIVE)
- WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
- (2) LITE-ON DVD/CD Burners
- Corsair HX 1000w, Modular, 2-Rail PSU

RAM CHOICES:
- G.Skill PI+ Turbulence 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1600 6-8-6-20
- G.Skill Trident+ Turbulence 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24
- Some other brand/speed of memory you suggest with valid arguments?

The mobo supports up to 24GB DDR3 2200 and I'd like to reach that cap someday, but I think 12GB to start is more than enough. Right now I'm leaning on the 3x4GB setup because of the ease to upgrade in the future. From what I know I won't be loosing much from the CL 6 to 7 timing, correct?

What are the pros/cons to going with the 3x4GB or 6x2GB setups?

Cost is last on my list :) and I am intending to build a machine that won't have to be upgraded for 3-5 years. I plan to water cool and OC it before upgrading.

Along with that above, why a $1k CPU? What work do you do that you require that over a $300 one that is only a bit slower?

Also, why a 1KW PSU? Even with the GPU you have, a 750W model would be fine.

I think it's implicitly given that his #1 criteria is to blow as much money as possible, so those are good choices :).

Why aren't you going with server motherboards with 4 CPU sockets or something? You can get 24 cores!

Are you sure you don't want a pure diamond heatsink for your CPU? Diamond has higher thermal conductivity than copper.

How about getting 10 of those systems and connect them into a beowolf cluster? You can have your own rendering farm! Or running orthos. Or whatever.

I think it's implicitly given that his #1 criteria is to blow as much money as possible, so those are good choices :).

Why aren't you going with server motherboards with 4 CPU sockets or something? You can get 24 cores!

Are you sure you don't want a pure diamond heatsink for your CPU? Diamond has higher thermal conductivity than copper.

How about getting 10 of those systems and connect them into a beowolf cluster? You can have your own rendering farm! Or running orthos. Or whatever.

My first criteria is to build a PC that blows my socks off... pure performance followed by no need to upgrade for a few years, if not five. Next would be the ability to OC and simplicity of the build. Lastly cost. So yea, I'm looking to spend about $3k and build something I won't have to dump money into or sell off for another in a year or two.

You could buy the most expensive crap out now and almost need to upgrade in 3 years.

Regardles of your goals, there is still no point in more than 6GB of ram. There is also no point in the best motherboard out there as its really made for extreme cooling overclocking (aka not water). You will also not likely be able to reach DDR3 2000 speeds with more than 6GB of ram.

Are you REALLY sure you want to throw in $3k now? That's a very inefficient use of money.

In 2 years, your "killer" system will be an average system. In 4 years, you'll be cursing at this old crap and why doesn't it die already.

On the other hand, if you spend $1k now, you can get a system that will blow your socks off, for 2 years. Then you can spend another $1k to get a way faster system (than your $3k system now) that will blow your socks off for another 2 years. Then you can have another $1k system that will be a few times faster than your $3k system now.

So why are you wasting all the money on all the premium they are charging for slightly faster parts?

A $1k system would only be say 10% slower than a $3k system, and you won't even notice it. And that leaves you with 2 more killer upgrades down the line.

My first criteria is to build a PC that blows my socks off... pure performance followed by no need to upgrade for a few years, if not five. Next would be the ability to OC and simplicity of the build. Lastly cost. So yea, I'm looking to spend about $3k and build something I won't have to dump money into or sell off for another in a year or two.
Even with AMD x6 will be good for another three years or maybe 4, and with the money saved you can buy 3 monitors or a big screen

This could have definately been asked/answered in your original thread...

Sorry if Im playing forum nazi (again). I must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed today!!! :p

I wanted to get a specific memory answer quicker, so I came to the memory forum. :chair:

Are you REALLY sure you want to throw in $3k now? That's a very inefficient use of money.

In 2 years, your "killer" system will be an average system. In 4 years, you'll be cursing at this old crap and why doesn't it die already.

On the other hand, if you spend $1k now, you can get a system that will blow your socks off, for 2 years. Then you can spend another $1k to get a way faster system (than your $3k system now) that will blow your socks off for another 2 years. Then you can have another $1k system that will be a few times faster than your $3k system now.

So why are you wasting all the money on all the premium they are charging for slightly faster parts?

A $1k system would only be say 10% slower than a $3k system, and you won't even notice it. And that leaves you with 2 more killer upgrades down the line.

You make a very good point here. :thup:
Could you throw some Intel processor ideas my way? Some that would have a good money savings to performance loss ratio?

Back