• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

144Hz monitors on a GPU that cant push 144HZ ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgoodkat

Looking for a new monitor and I'm split between the popular 144Hz Asus VG248QE with relatively poor colors and the 60Hz BenQ RL2460HT with near IPS levels of color reproduction/accuracy for around $70 cheaper at the moment.

I tend to lean towards a nicer picture over a refresh rate that I wont be able to take advantage of in triple-A, graphically intensive titles. At least, that is my thinking/understanding.

If I can only hit 70-80 fps in something like Far Cry 4 then will I just have spent more money to experience screen tearing and have to enable vysnc?

If you can't meet or exceed 144Hz then skip out on that monitor.
Your guess is correct, you'll get screen tearing.

The obvious solution here is a 144Hz monitor with G-Sync. No tearing. Monitor refresh is synced to frame output from the GPU. Brilliant stuff. So even if you're only getting 90-110FPS, you can still enjoy tear free smooth as silk gaming.

If you want to push 144FPS @ 1080P in most games a pair of 970s would be wise. To hit 144FPS reliably in most games at 1440P you're going to need 2 or 3 980s. More like 3.

If you get a G Sync monitor and have reasonable expectations, you'll have a good experience.

Can also keep an eye out for 'Freesync'-compliant monitors as well, it is a new standard that AMD has created to do basically the same thing, but is freely available without special hardware required.

If you picked up the 60Hz panel then without vsync you will get tearing, if you grabbed the 144Hz panel and your fps was under 143/4 then no, no tearing.

However, considering you want screen quality, I'd suggest a PLS panel to get the best of both worlds with a little overclockability alongside IPS color quality.

The cost of making a monitor FreeSync compliant is quite marginal though, somewhere in the range of $10-20, so that should give you an idea of how much Premium a brand is charging on any “FreeSync compatible” monitor.

Until the manufacturer wants to bone the enthusiast market that is all too willing to bend over. And Gsync wont be cheap enough to justify anytime soon.

I went for the BenQ. I'm not really playing shooters anymore - mostly RTS and War Thunder. When playing tanks I can only push 80-90 fps on max settings. With planes it does jump to upwards of 120 but Id rather have nicer visuals than a smoother experience that, until I experience it, I wont even care about. At least I will like the colors with the BenQ. I had one of the first Dell IPS monitors and have always missed how great that looked but the specs were pretty awful for gaming.

I just figured maybe I was missing something with respect to 144Hz. What you need to run 144 fps is way out of my price range. Seems like 120Hz would be more than enough and easier for most people to achieve on single cards the 770 and 970 but the manufactures seemed to get into 144Hz pretty quick and never made many 120Hz monitors to begin with. The ones that you can still find are priced the same as 144.

Well, thanks. Happy New Year.

I picked up a Rog Swift a few weeks back and I'm pretty damn happy with it. It has replaced my Dell 3007 as my Main Monitor

How's the color reproduction? I want one or it's successor for my future build with 2 980s (Yes, I will do it. Need money). I love the specs but am concerned that the color may not be terrific since it is a TN panel. How are you liking it? What are the off-angle viewing like? Still good color or does it wash out? What sort of framerates are you pulling with it? What GPUs u using?

How's the color reproduction? I want one or it's successor for my future build with 2 980s (Yes, I will do it. Need money). I love the specs but am concerned that the color may not be terrific since it is a TN panel. How are you liking it? What are the off-angle viewing like? Still good color or does it wash out? What sort of framerates are you pulling with it? What GPUs u using?

Any TN panel will wash out at an angle, it's a limitation of the design.

If you're worried about color representation, go IPS that's factory calibrated and has a 95%+ RGB range.

From what Ive read viewing angles are getting better with TN but will likely always be behind IPS and when IPS panels can finally be driven like TN panels in the near future, TN will be relegated to the serious budget bin level. 22"-plus sizes at constant sub-$100 prices.

The whole reason I chose that BenQ was because the near IPS color accuracy out of an 8bit TN panel. TN panels are making serious strides in that area even with 6bit. I mean I could have grabbed another IPS for under that price but they dont have those gaming specs.

An average error of 1.19 Delta E is amazing when you consider that the RL2460HT is the least expensive monitor in our round-up. We wouldn’t expect a gaming monitor to perform this well, but we’ll take it! BenQ really raises the bar here.

When a relatively inexpensive monitor like the RL2460HT can match the performance of displays costing three and four times as much, you know progress is being made. Prices may not be dropping to everyone’s satisfaction, so we have to cheer about increased quality and performance.

Attachments

• 14-gamutvol.png
    14-gamutvol.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 541

Tested it on 3 PC's

Titan Black
980GTX
Tri Titan v1

Works amazing Colors seem fine I would say not as good as my Dell but not enough to notice really. Off Angle I would have a hard time judging as I don't think I ever tried to work to the side or while laying on the floor while using any other monitor :)

I'm waiting for the Acer XB270HU. It shoudl be 144Hz, IPS and with G-sync

It will be interesting to see what the response time is. Its the one thing left out of the press release

Apparently also Asus is gonna release a IPS 120Hz monitor

Asus MG279Q
Panel size: 27 inches
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Refresh rate: up to 120Hz
Response time: 5ms ( GTG )
Contrast ratio: 1000:1
Brightness: 350 cd/m²

I'm sure 27" is nice but with 24" 120-144Hz TN panels with near-IPS color under $300, I couldn't see spending double on 3 more inches.

That BenQ 60Hz had amazing colors for a TN. I had forgotten just how nice deep and accurate color can be and some TN panels are basically just as good as IPS now. Unfortunately it had some dead pixels so it went back and I got the Asus 144Hz monitor instead. 144Hz is okay. Definite difference but as I expected, it isn't something I really notice in the mix of the action. Nor do I think it would make me any better in any game. Actually much more noticeable when moving things around in Windows.

Although I am pleasantly surprised by the color accuracy after some tweaking and an ICC profile. It is more than acceptable for anything other than editing. TN panels have come a long way and I dont see the need to sacrifice response times for IPS anymore.

I was considering the AOC G2460PQU 144Hz monitor as that is the only 144Hz TN panel that can absolutely be used for photo/video editing as it sits just a sliver outside the full sRGB gamut volume. Being able to edit and play games on the same monitor would be pretty cool.

Both the Asus and the AOC were $250 last December. That's crazy value.

I figure I ought to try 3D but I'm not spending the money Nvidia wants for those glasses on something I will almost certainly think is gimmicky. Does anyone know of any cheap 3d glasses that you can use with this?

Back