• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st time OC ever...help/advice please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonspencer1981

Registered
Hi everyone,
Just completed my first build and have tried overclocking. I think my GPU is letting me down, but would like to know if I've got a capable setup...

CASE - CiT ATX Red Jupiter (cheap, but bottom PSU, cable management & sided mount HDD)
MoBo - Asus M5A78l-m USB3
CPU - AMD Bulldozer FX4100
PSU - Alpine 750w
RAM - 4 x 2GB (can't remember the specifics)
GPU - MSi Ge-Force N520GT 2GB
OPTICAL - 2 x DVD R/W
STORAGE - 1 x 60GB SSD (OS drive), 1 x 80GB HDD (for downloads and non essential programs), 1 x 250GB HDD (gaming), 1 x 500GB HDD (media)
OPTIONAL - Akasa Fan Controller Pro, Memory Card Reader
COOLING - CoolerMaster 212 heatsink (2 x 12cm fans in push/pull), 1 x front fan, 1 x rear fan, 2 x top fans, 1 x bottom fan, 1 x side fan (space for 2 but heatsink blocks the space)
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate X64

So thats about it. I have set the multiplier to x21, so I'm running at 4.2, with turbo activated. Voltage and all other settings are set to AUTO. FanSpeed results are as follows...

CPU - 29c
GPU - 32c
MoBo - 24c

When running CPU Stability over 10 hours, I got...

CPU - 46c
GPU - 32c
MoBO - 26c

Like I said, the GPU really lets this system down. Its the first build I've ever done, so was unsure about GPU and my budget got a bit stretched.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the setup? IMHO, I runs swiftly and effortlessly, but while running at 32fps on Skyrim, lacks something.

Anyway, hello and any comments are welcome :)

Hi John, what program are you using to test for stability? The general consensus here is to use Prime 95 blend test. The only issue i see with your build is the PSU, a cheap one can wreak havoc on your system. Read this post in our forums and you'll see what I'm talking about.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706734

Also how are you overclocking it. You should be using the BIOS, not a windows based program. While your at it you should download the following programs.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
It will help the more experienced overclockers help you tune the system.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

I thought as much with the PSU, i'll be going for a Corsair one i think...bit disappointing because my cable management took AGES!
Also looking at investing in an Asus GTX 550 Ti 1gb. Seems silly to put all this strain on a small GPU.

I will download the programs you've suggested, thanks for the tip. I did OC through the BIOS, and have monitored with "FanSpeed" and "CPUStabilityTest"

Again the rig has been on all day/night and only reached about 44-45c under load

Hi there! :p
Nice rig you got going there ;)

As you've been told already, run and buy a decent psu. You got a couple of good and cheap choices: Corsair cx500, tx750, hx650; Antec ea series...
You're good with 500-550w too, just look for solid units, check www.jonnyguru.com for good reviews. -not sure on the spelling-

Regarding graphics, what's your monitor native resolution?
If 1080p you might need a heftier gpu than the gtx550ti, but for 1680x1050/1600x900 it's fine...
The radeon 7850 is a good AND cheap choice!

Hi,

I'm running HDMI from the graphics card to an LG 32" 1080 TV

Resolution is 1920x1080 (recommended)

Had a couple of initial sound issues and some games like Sniper Elite V2 will only play titles in sound...something i have to work on lol

I'll get a pic up of the setup later, but apart from PSU and GPU, I'm happy so far.

So the Radeon you suggest would be better?

Hi,

I'm running HDMI from the graphics card to an LG 32" 1080 TV

Resolution is 1920x1080 (recommended)

Had a couple of initial sound issues and some games like Sniper Elite V2 will only play titles in sound...something i have to work on lol

I'll get a pic up of the setup later, but apart from PSU and GPU, I'm happy so far.

So the Radeon you suggest would be better?

Heaps better...It's around $250 too, if overclocked it can net great results!
The gt520 is a really low tier card, aimed at the htpc market, it's just not cut for gaming.
You can also look for used cards at the forum classifieds here, or in another forums...Perhaps a used 6950/70 could be good too, along with a cheap psu. I bought most of my stuff used and I don't regret it.

Ok guys,

I think I've settled for my replacements...

GPU - ATI Radeon™ HD 6770

PSU - Powercool GT 700W PSU 80+ Dual 12V V2.2

The GPU seems to get some good reviews, and certainly seems more powerful than mine.

The PSU is 80+, not modular which is a shame, but does have the connections I need...ie - 6 x SATA, 5 x MOLEX (as I have 3 x HDD, 1 x SSD, 2 x optical, its a must for the SATA!)

What do we think? I reckon I'm good to go with that.

:)

Photo's...as promised.

As I feel I am now complete (apart from replacing GPU and PSU), I thought I'd show you how my first build has gone...

DSCF0417.jpg

DSCF0416.jpg

DSCF0414.jpg

DSCF0389.jpg

DSCF0418.jpg

DSCF0419.jpg

Nice build John, I like the red fans. Now that you have the bug all you need to do is get some sleeving and sleeve those wires :). I'm thinking black and red would look nice.

Ok, so I have done a bit of research on GPU's and the current hierarchy.
I can get a Radeon HD 4870 x2 for a very reasonable price. It seems to be one of the best GPU's around and all i eould need is a DVI to HDMI converter.

Ok, so that one won't fit! 2.5" too long.
Finally dug around and found a Zotac gtx560 ti 1gb (low profile i think)

Last edited:
Back