• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1TB Seagate ST31000528AS Barracuda 7200.12 Hard Drive - $40 AR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mine worked for a day and stopped. i wanted to use it as a second drive. but now my system doesn't even boot when it's connected - it doesn't even let me enter the bios.

i won't touch a seagate ever again, the bigger problem though is that all my work is now lost, because i transferred it to the new drive - so stupid...

i also tried using it as a single drive, just to see if it would be found in the bios - but nothing changed - the system stalls and freezes at the "lanparty" screen....

if anyone has any advice on what to try - please let me know - will greatly appreciate it.

mine worked for a day and stopped. i wanted to use it as a second drive. but now my system doesn't even boot when it's connected - it doesn't even let me enter the bios.

i won't touch a seagate ever again, the bigger problem though is that all my work is now lost, because i transferred it to the new drive - so stupid...

i also tried using it as a single drive, just to see if it would be found in the bios - but nothing changed - the system stalls and freezes at the "lanparty" screen....

if anyone has any advice on what to try - please let me know - will greatly appreciate it.

If you still have the old drive, try FTK imager for data recover

he cant even get past the bios .... theres no way any data recovery will work on it outside of replacing the pcb with the exact model.

Sounds like the same thing that happened with the 7200.11 series. Sad Seagate Sad.

he cant even get past the bios .... theres no way any data recovery will work on it outside of replacing the pcb with the exact model.

Sounds like the same thing that happened with the 7200.11 series. Sad Seagate Sad.

what's a "pcb"?

actually this saved the day! i'm currently recovering my deleted from the old drive files - i'm honestly surprised how well the recovery is going so far! thanks a bunch!

from the drive that isnt recognizable in the bios? or some other old drive?

from the old one - as soon as i got the baracuda (the unrecognisable one) i transferred all my work to it - and it stopped working. now i'm trying to recover it from my old one.

isn't there any chance that the new one can be fixed? because from what i see only like 50% of the data would be restored.

from the old one - as soon as i got the baracuda (the unrecognisable one) i transferred all my work to it - and it stopped working. now i'm trying to recover it from my old one.

isn't there any chance that the new one can be fixed? because from what i see only like 50% of the data would be restored.

:rain:
What a pain to deal with man! Honestly, I've been using mine for several weeks now, no problems. Been hot swapping the crap out of it lately with no issues.
Considering I've already filled up the entire drive, I'd be totally devastated if this drive gave out on me today or tomorrow. So seriously, good luck with that.
Hrm, I think we need to design a :knockonwood: icon

On the other hand, World Wide Rebates mailed out my rebate Visa card on the 24th so I should be getting it soon. Now I'm curious as to how long it would have taken if I hadn't opted for the no-wait fee.
All rebates should be dealt in this manner, so much easier!

:rain:
What a pain to deal with man! Honestly, I've been using mine for several weeks now, no problems. Been hot swapping the crap out of it lately with no issues.
Considering I've already filled up the entire drive, I'd be totally devastated if this drive gave out on me today or tomorrow. So seriously, good luck with that.
Hrm, I think we need to design a :knockonwood: icon

On the other hand, World Wide Rebates mailed out my rebate Visa card on the 24th so I should be getting it soon. Now I'm curious as to how long it would have taken if I hadn't opted for the no-wait fee.
All rebates should be dealt in this manner, so much easier!

i just received a replacement drive from seagate - and it failed as well!

i wanted to try swapping the PCBs to see if it would work, so i left my cc with seagate and received the new one before i sent the old one to them.

the PSB swap did not help the old drive, but with the new PCB it was at least making a noise - "click-crack-click..." the new drive that was supposed to be identical actually was not - it came with an older firmware - so i decided that maybe i need an exact same everything for the pcb to work. then i installed it again on the new drive and started scraping back my lost data from my main (WD) drive.

for like 5 hours today i've been restoring my lost data and just turned off my pc to get dinner and stuff - and was surprised to see it locked on the bios image when i tried to turn it back on.

could something be wrong with my pc or psu or mobo? or just seagate officially suck major ***...

i'm really hoping your drive lasts, but would strongly recommend not to count on that - loosing important data really hurts, man, really hurts...

screw you, Seagate, and all your lame tricks!

I suppose I should have chimed in this thread like I normally do on these sale threads.

DO NOT BUY THIS DRIVE.

While many people have claimed to have no issues with the drive, my company used 2000 of these drives for a very large 2 day long event. During that 2 day period, we had something around a 25% failure rate on the drives due to firmware issues. Seagate initially denied them being at fault but, after a couple months, came back to us with a confirmation that the issues were the result of firmware problems.

7200.10, 7200.11, and 7200.12 are all on my list of drives I will always suggest avoiding. I'll be avoiding Seagate for probably the next 5-10 years while they try to figure out what their issues are.

I suppose I should have chimed in this thread like I normally do on these sale threads.

DO NOT BUY THIS DRIVE.

While many people have claimed to have no issues with the drive, my company used 2000 of these drives for a very large 2 day long event. During that 2 day period, we had something around a 25% failure rate on the drives due to firmware issues. Seagate initially denied them being at fault but, after a couple months, came back to us with a confirmation that the issues were the result of firmware problems.

7200.10, 7200.11, and 7200.12 are all on my list of drives I will always suggest avoiding. I'll be avoiding Seagate for probably the next 5-10 years while they try to figure out what their issues are.

couldn't agree with you more crusty... i have had 2 .10's fail on me on my personal computers, then there was the whole .11 fiasco.... and i will tell you i have worked for a month at a computer repair place and i kid you not... half of the dead hard drives in desktops have been .11's and .12's

DO NOT BUY THIS DRIVE.

well, now i know - learned it the hard way - .12 is a complete crap too. i confronted a seagate manager on the phone about their affiliation with the data restore company, and he pretty much admitted that this is how seagate makes its money by saying "seagate does not make money from data restoration AS A MAIN PRACTICE" or something.. damn crooks.. data restoration goes for above thousand bucks most of the time, so selling drives that fail is much more profitable than selling drives that don't..

DO NOT BUY THIS DRIVE.

You should write something for the overclockers.com front page about these, we really need to make sure we get the word out to avoid these drives like I avoid eating vegetables

You should write something for the overclockers.com front page about these, we really need to make sure we get the word out to avoid these drives like I avoid eating vegetables

I agree 100%. this website is the only place i ever refer to when i need to buy computer parts or have a problem. this time though i got misled by the posts of people that were lucky with their drives and no negative concerns about the .12 - and i got screwed pretty good loosing my data..

now i desperately need to buy a new hd and i've been staring at the reviews for 3 days, afraid to buy anything.. by the way, if anyone sees any hd deals at this moment that look ok and the drives are good please let me know - regardless of size or internal/external. i just need to get one now now.. thanks!

I agree 100%. this website is the only place i ever refer to when i need to buy computer parts or have a problem. this time though i got misled by the posts of people that were lucky with their drives and no negative concerns about the .12 - and i got screwed pretty good loosing my data..

now i desperately need to buy a new hd and i've been staring at the reviews for 3 days, afraid to buy anything.. by the way, if anyone sees any hd deals at this moment that look ok and the drives are good please let me know - regardless of size or internal/external. i just need to get one now now.. thanks!

I have (4) of the Hitachi 2tb 7200rpm drives and love them. Had good experience with the larger Samsung drives as well.

Back