• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2(3850's 256mb) or 1(8800GTS g92) ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if you just get the one GTS if you have SLI capabilities you an always add another and double your performance

leave yourself options

Well thank you all for these pages of "talking" :p but I am simply asking witch one would be better to pick. 2 3850's or a GTS. This thread had gotten a little out of control.

Well thank you all for these pages of "talking" :p but I am simply asking witch one would be better to pick. 2 3850's or a GTS. This thread had gotten a little out of control.

There is no 'right' answer, both are good options.

The general concensus in this thread is 1 8800GTS 512 (g92) though.

Crossfire isn't a good idea if you're still on XP. It will often _reduce_ fps. My two 3870s get about the same as a single 3870 on BF2142 and Source games, and worse than single card in EVE. Supposedly works well on Vista though. With your board being a crossfire board, though, I'd say go for a single 3870 rather than the GTS, and then if in the future ATI fixes their drivers, you'll be able to add another card.

let us know how everything goes. just make sure its on the Nvidia page, that we can avoid spectating the bloodshed thats been going here :). I'm actually thinking of buying the same card, maybe 2. It's the 256-bit bandwidth that is keeping my wallet in my pocket though

Both perform great, the GTS 512's are capable of really nice overclocks and if you not planning on waterblocking it id stick with the single GTS 512.

Performance wise it will do better in high end gaming because of its texture fill rate. Running the 2x 3850's 256mb card will not match a g92 GTS 512 alone

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1246/hd_3850_crossfire_vs_8800gts_512mb_g92/index.html

These are the 512mb versions and for FPS and performance they either just barely eek out the lead or actually have lower FPS, btw they are overclocked as well lol.

yeah in all honesty, the performance difference won't be too much. But even if they gave the same graphic output, why would you want to have 2 cards over one? As stated somewhere here earlier, give yourself options. maybe one day you'll get another 8800 GTS

Back