• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 x 7800 GT in SLi or 1 x 7800 GTX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arve121

Registered
As title what would be better, and opinions will be the same as the 7900 range no doubt.

Thanks

i had to choose between the 78gt sli or gtx. i chose the sli.

the prices aren't off by that much and the sli will probably offer better support.

sometimes the fps aren't as hot, but the other times, its helps a lot. so i got it.

512gtx?

X1900xt. As you can see from my sig I am not biased. It just makes more sense. I would buy one if I had the money.

I just realized you can't sli with ati. Sorry about that, I wasn't thinking. Wait for the 7900gtx and buy one. Down the road look for a great deal on another one as people start selling their old ones to upgrade. This is assuming you already have an sli motherboard that you want to make use of.

hello i am in the UK, and dont mind nvidia or ATI just as the moment the 7800/900 GT seems sensible coming in at around £200-£220 with the GTXs coming in a £320-400. Its almost like you can get 2 GTS for the price of 1 GTX (kinda anyway)

With SLI doesnt the brand and bios and make of the cards needs to be the same, so if you started with XFX say, you can only match with XFX. If this is the case its gonna be kinda hard finding the same cards and other will also want them driving up the price of second hand GFX cards.

gonna wait for 7900 now also as i heard the 7900 GT will be as fast as 7800 GTX

I would definatly wait for the 7900GT/GTX. The GT is going to be just as fast as the 7800GTX and the 7900GTX is going to be smokin.

thats true.

but if you want to buy now i say 7800GT

either way, you can mix and match brands now.

the performance is just better with identical brands.

x1900xt is more on par with 7800gt sli than a gtx..

and lets pertain to t he original question

why we cant offer the guy a solution that is better for his money cuz it says ATI on it ? :rolleyes:

If the guys has 3 options for $500 range then the x1900xt is the best option hands down no matter ho wants to hear it, BTW my last card was a 7800gtx

the x1900xt is probably the best option and crossfire latter on, ill see what the 7900s are like and prob go for the x1900XT is you think its genuinely better than 2x 7800 GTs. I can see how personally and BTW. Im not a fan boy ive had Nvidia and ATi in the passed.

With one card you don't have to depend on the programmers of each game making individual games compatible with sli\crossfire. Your card is always using its full potential.

Brando said:
With one card you don't have to depend on the programmers of each game making individual games compatible with sli\crossfire. Your card is always using its full potential.

He didn't inquire about what the best thing for his money was.

And yeah, the XTX and 7800gt sli is cutting both of them pretty close.

I think SLi is more about driver load balancing then specifically coding the game to take advantage of it. With the prices you can find on 7800GT's these days it could be nearly as cost effective as an XT. At some point in the (distant) future the 512 MB cards will become incomparable to the 256 MB cards because games will start taking advantage of the increased amount of memory available for textures. Perhaps as soon as the end of the year. I don't find the difference to be that considerable in games [that take advantage of 512 MB] right now but clearly twice as much can't be bad for texture resolution.

I think the odd man out here is the 7800gtx, it just doesn't compete with ATi's offerings at its price point, although it isn't as bad of a value as the bogomark scores suggest and can match and even surpass ati's x1900cards in a fair amount of current games.

I don't think you can really go wrong with a pair of 7800gts or an X1900XT at this point but it would probably be wise to see how the 7900 stacks up first. I would think the 7800gt's have considerably better performance at their fully overclocked state though that is considerably more involved than ati's solution which as I understand comes overclocked out of the box (overdrive?). You also get access to some pretty snazzy anti aliasing levels and what not which I've been led to believe through fancy charts (or perhaps I just dreamed about it...) scale much better than raw performance in SLI.

I personally use a 7800gtx with a vmod and it takes everything I throw at it with the un noteworthy exception of F.E.A.R..

:cool: :cool:

Back