• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2003 week last unlocked Barton was manufactured

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not to fear my fellow o/c ers! This will be figured out in short order. My guess, withing two to four weeks you will see solutions to these locks; my fingers are crossed!:)

PQZEA 0332MPMW

definatly locked.. Just got my nf7 and muskin ram in and its defiantly locked..

curently running at 11x200 v1.75vcore 38C at idle with a slk-900a with a 80mm L1A panaflo

my friend just bought a barton 2600+ off newegg

and it's multi-locked
i don't have any thermal grease to spare and he put on the HSF himself, so I can't tell you the stepping :(

I got mine here, 2800 unlocked.
2 days ago.
http://www.intrex.com/
Local place but I paid bout 30 bucks more. they got some left.
New in box with sink and 3 year warranty..
allright, its a:
AXDA2800KV4D
AQXDA0318rpbw

Last edited:
I wonder what the deal is with the AQZFA 0341 TPMW, why would they all be locked but the same CPU of a week later show locked and unlocked models. I hope mine comes out unlocked just for fun. But the way those bridges are burned out on top of the CPU it doesn't seem likely.

The deal is some shipped before AMD had a chance to alter them.
Veeb0rg said:
PQZEA 0332MPMW definatly locked.. Just got my nf7 and muskin ram in and its defiantly locked.. curently running at 11x200 v1.75vcore 38C at idle with a slk-900a with a 80mm L1A panaflo

Sometimes you need to do this a couple of times with NF-7 before it goes through, try lowering the multiplier again, save the BIOS settings, then see if it'll post with any other lower multiplier.

If you indeed have a locked week 32, I think the answer would be that AMD shipped most of their CPUs made in the lower week 30s and the few that were left were locked. So it is possible, but the vast majority of early 30s are unlocked.

Post week 39 chips are the ones AMD really got their hands on.

So I think today's revision of where things stand would be:

Weeks 32-37: Most unlocked, few rare locked chips.
Weeks 38-42: Some locked, some unlocked, close to 50/50 ratio.
Weeks 43 and later: Vast majority locked, few rare unlocked.

Last edited:
100% insync is better with unlocked processors, like

At 100% 153 FSB x 15 [2295 MHz] with memory bus 153
is better than
At 75% 204 FSB x 11 [2244 MHz] with memory bus 153 (since 75% of 204 = 153)

however

Gautam wrote on 01-01-04
These are two completely different, non-comparable situations we're talking about here. You have the flexibility of an unlocked processor, so you have the option of running at 15x153 or 204x11 (async). The former will do better in your case. But imagine if your processor was locked. Your only options would be 11x153 for a rather measly 1638mHz or 11x208 async for 2244. In this situation, a processor at 2244 would slaughter another at 1638.

So, even though async is not incredibly efficient, it can drastically help out those with locked processors and slow memory.

How to get around the SUPERLOCK

This thread has been going on for some time now, and although I have skipped some of the pages, last I knew there still has not been a way mentioned to bypass the new Barton Super-lock.

http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12370

That forum has links to a page (listed below) that has instructions on how to bypass the Superlock. I have an unlocked CPU so I wont be trying it myself, but IF it works (I cant say since I havent tried it) I hope its of use to people here.

From the quick look I had, it involves either one, or both methods if you want/need, of tricking your motherboard into believing its an Athlon MP or Mobile (or Mobile MP - which doesnt exist) CPU and you can then change the multiplier. The only warning is if you use the method to trick the board into thinking its a Mobile CPU you have to be careful with the voltages as they are different.

http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Tweaks.htm

http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/AXP_multiplier/AXP_Multiplier.htm

Dartani0n: yes, that's exactly what I've been doing since yesterday, and I can change multis on-the-fly on a locked Thorton. Read the details in this thread.

Funny story.
Before we knew the new CPUs were locked, I tried to mod a Thorton into a Barton and couldn't because I thought I didn't do it right. Meanwhile it turned out it was locked.

I get rid of it and the very same Thorton started changing hands until stamasd ends up with it and performs one of the first unlocks on it. :)

Petr wrote on 01-04-04 07:51 AM:

Fab51 page was the first to discover that L5 bridge changes CPU to mobile. They didn't, hovewer, tested mobile CPUs in desktop motherboards nor do they explained L6 and L8 bridges meaning. From what I understand they also didn't tried to modify desktop part to mobile. I did test it because I wanted to change multiplier from Windows, not to unlock CPUs. Then I discovered (with help of my software) what do L6 and L8 bridges do. So the discovery of multiplier changing through PowerNow! on desktop CPUs is my job. I did this in middle of November on unlocked Tbred, posted about this in middle of December on a magazine I work for (www.svethardware.cz), then on my homepage did translation to english.

bulk88 and a man called Eversor from OCWorkBench were the first to discover this mod works on locked CPUs also. bulk88 didn't have necesarry motherboard to change multiplier so it freezed for him but he was able to make mobile CPU by modifying L5 what is enough for this to work - he posted about this on 28th December. Eversor on 29th December was the first who changed multiplier on locked CPU - he had SiS chipset and also modded L6 bridges to gain multiplier 12x istead of default 11x.

Links:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=257004
http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=001453;p=3

Last edited:
Basically, the method involves heavy modding of the locked chips.

AMD Mobile CPUs have this 'PowerNow' feature which allows voltage and multiplier changes in order to preserve battery life.

You need to have motherboard/chipset/BIOS support for PowerNow which not all boards do.

You also need to boot into Windows with your locked multiplier and the FSB with which you can boot into Windows but you cannot change the FSB inside Windows.

So with this method, MHz Speed = [FSB] x multiplier

FSB can be changed only before you boot into Windows but
multiplier can only be changed after you boot into Windows.

...with limited success so far.

What could you do with this chip before the mod and what can you do after modding it into a mobile chip stamasd?

Never mind, found it:

stamasd said:
I lowered the FSB to 133 and after boot I changed the multi to 16, and it works. :) It also works at 13x166 and 1.7V.

L9? I don't know anything about that. Must do some more reading. It's just that I haven't found yet a good description of what the L9 are and what they do.

Here's a pic of my CPU before any mods were done:

thorton.jpg

Notice that all of L9 are cut, and the 2nd L2 from the left is cut (C:CC according to the notation on Fab51).

But in the meantime, changing multis while running is cool.

Cyrix_2k said:
stamasd: boot at a low FSB, change the multi, then up the FSB using CPUFSB or a similar program. For links, check the thread where they were talking about overclocking Dells.

Here's a link http://mitglied.lycos.de/podien/CPUFSB.HTM

stamasd said:
I tried CPUFSB already, it doesn't work with the A7V600. I even hunted down the PLL chip on the mobo, and established it's a ICS 94228, then entered it manually in CPUFSB, and it still doesn't work.

What are the 1,2,3 steps of what you did please?
How would these steps be different for a locked Barton?

1. closed L5, 2nd bridge from the right with pencil

2. cut L8 for 1.5V according to the mobile chart (same as L11 for 1.6V), i.e. C:C:C (see notation on Fab51's page); actually I may have cut the first (from the top) bridge on L8 as well, because CPUMSR shows a default volytage of 1.45V instead.

3. cut L6 for a max multiplier of 19x. Why 19x? It's high enough that you actually never get to use it, and it's very easy to do, the highest multiplier which can be set with just 2 cuts :CCC: - in other words, cut the top and the bottom bridges on L6.

That's it. It just works, on a A7V600 mobo. It's simple enough that I will probably mod the same my other CPU, an unlocked XP2500+. I've began to like changing multis from within the OS, and I don't see any downside to it. For use on the A7V600 I'll probably even leave out the L8 cuts altogether, since I set the Vcore manually in the bios anyway, and the "default" Vcore means nothing. *NOTE* the L8 cuts may be required on other motherboards, if they read it - you don't want to accidentally push 2V in your chip. Also note that cutting bridges on L8 will not change the voltages needed to run the CPU - if before the mod it needed 1.8V to reach 2200 MHz, it will still need the same 1.8V after the mod for the same speed.

For a locked Barton? I dunno, probably the same. The only thing that may be different is the location of the L8 cuts, if you want to set a different default Vcore. IMHO there's no need to do all 5 cuts for L6, I can't imagine a setup where you'd want to use a multiplier higher than 19X on these chips. Unless you push the FSB down to 100MHz of course. :)

Last edited:
...and you only need to use it if your motherbaord can't post all multipliers. Old CPUs themselves were factory unlocked.

stamasd, what you did may not work with nForce2 mobos, is that right?

Back