• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2007 upgrade to 2015 advice wanted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a7mag3ddon

Hi all,

I am wanting to upgrade my computer which was originally built in 2007 to 2014/15 specs as it is increasingly struggling to play the more advanced games now. I was thinking of the following, would this be a good choice? I only ever have 1 GPU and not really interested in overclocking (last machine was built with that in mind but never did) and i try and stay just behind the latest tech so i get a good deal.

Thanks for any advice.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

I already have a decent PSU which will easily cope with anything i throw at it, i was going to with 16gb however i could add more if needed.

The kind of games i play are usually first person stuff COD, Battlefield ect and adventure games like Tombraider, StyX, Assasins creed.

I don't see a need to jump up to the Hex core for a gaming rig... but if you want it and can afford it, go for it. That said, you can save a few $ on the mobo for sure. Something like the ASUS X99-A, or even the MSI X99S SLI Plus would be plenty of board for your uses and moderate overclocking.

If you dropped back to Z97 and 4790K, you can spend less on ram and the board and save a few dollars.

Agree with ED, spend less on the mobo

I would rethink the power, no matter how good of unit it is, 7 years old it is past it's prime

It would be a bummer to build this only to have a power issue. 16GB is plenty for gaming.

Gaming resolution and preferred settings will help you determine what kind of GPU power you will need.

Personally with what is available right now 2x GTX970's seem to be a very good value.

If you do end up looking at a new power solution the eVGA G2 series are difficult to beat for price/warranty

With 2x 970's a 750 watt unit would be good with ambient cooling solutions

One may argue a 650 would do it, but I would not make that argument personally

The EVO is a nice cooler, but the HEX will bring the heat, May want to look at a nice 2x120 AIO solution

just stay away from units using the Cootit pump IMO

I think I would look at a HEX as well with your upgrade cycle

You state that you have one GPU -> which? 2007 build -> do you have an SSD? If you would list all your system components you may get some unexpected advice that will make your gaming moments more enjoyable.

Sorry I should have said, my psu is a corsair tk950 and its not 7 years old, just a couple.

I do have ssd but not as my main drive. I have a total of 8 drives.

If I go down the x97 route would that be of similar power for Games? I can afford x99 but that doesn't mean I should get it. I still have to justify to myself that its worth the money. If that makes sense.

Sorry I should have said, my psu is a corsair tk950 and its not 7 years old, just a couple.

I do have ssd but not as my main drive. I have a total of 8 drives.

If I go down the x97 route would that be of similar power for Games? I can afford x99 but that doesn't mean I should get it. I still have to justify to myself that its worth the money. If that makes sense.
1. There isn't a Corsair TK950...
2. Which SSD (and why is it not your OS drive!!!! :))
3. The difference, now, between a hex core in gaming and quad is nill in most cases. Likely in the future they could be used more. If you don't do any productivity that can use it, I would just drop back to Z97.

I would also go for the z97 set up , since you say you're not or interested in overclocking the 4790K has a higher stock clock speed right out of the gate. Which could be more beneficial in games vs the extra cares of the 5820

You are correct just checked and its a TX950 black/ yellow modular PSU.

Z97 seems too cheap compared with X99 ;-)

Maybe I'll price one up and see how much if you think there's no 'gaming' point to the newer chip set.

It's not , too cheap. This is Intels newest architecture and will do you well for the next years. It'll have 0 issues with modern games etc. and if that's your main use there really in no reason for you to go with the 2011v3

Z97 seems too cheap compared with X99 ;-)
Less expensive doesn't mean cheap, I agree with all the above. Right now you're not going to see a difference between the Z97 4790k and a X99 5820k. If anything Johan makes a good point, the 4790k runs faster out of the box and you will likely have a slight FPS, depending on the game, increase over the 5820k, slight being the key word. That all said unless you're doing "real work" on the rig, utilizing all 6 cores and threads the 5820k for today's games is a waste.

Do you think i could get away with just a graphics card upgrade maybe? I'm home now and here is the current machine specs.

Motherboard : Asus P5N32-E SLI Deluxe
Ram : 8 GB OCZ (4x 2gb) OCZ2RPR8002G
CPU : Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4ghz
Graphics card : Gainward GTX 580 1.5gb Golden Sample
PSU : Corsair TX950
HDD : too many
Monitor Edge10 24" (max res 1920x1200)

- - - Updated - - -

Do you think i could get away with just a graphics card upgrade maybe? I'm home now and here is the current machine specs.

Motherboard : Asus P5N32-E SLI Deluxe
Ram : 8 GB OCZ (4x 2gb) OCZ2RPR8002G
CPU : Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4ghz
Graphics card : Gainward GTX 580 1.5gb Golden Sample
PSU : Corsair TX950
HDD : too many
Monitor Edge10 24" (max res 1920x1200)

Id upgrade... but that is just me. Im sure that PC is serviceable for a little while longer, but, its a bit too long in the tooth for me.

Barring that Q6 doing 5 Ghz 24/7 , it is time for an upgrade

If funds are a problem look at an i5 , plenty for current games

Barring that Q6 doing 5 Ghz 24/7 , it is time for an upgrade

If funds are a problem look at an i5 , plenty for current games

Funds not an issue, if i do go the full upgrade route i usually get the best i can for the money at the time, hence i still got a q6600, theres only really a few games that are struggling, i turn down the options to get them to run but now certain games still play ****, juddering ect ect.

Funds not an issue, if i do go the full upgrade route i usually get the best i can for the money at the time, hence i still got a q6600, theres only really a few games that are struggling, i turn down the options to get them to run but now certain games still play ****, juddering ect ect.

Your Q6600 is already a significant bottleneck for your GTX 580. Putting a more powerful GPU in there would be ridiculous. If it were possible to get the Q6600 to 5-5.5Ghz on ambient cooling without blowing anything up, it would be good for awhile longer, but honestly that chip and the FSB it runs on are dinosaurs. I upgraded from Core2 in 2010. It's five years later now and it's just too late. You have to kick that system to the curb, or at least demote it to a server or HTPC.

I would suggest the following for you:
i7 4790K
ASRock Z97 Extreme6
2x8GB Team Xtreem 2400 cas10 (very good RAM for cheap on Newegg)
GTX 970 X2 (2 cards)
500GB-1TB SSD as system drive
+as many drives as you want to transfer over from the old system.

Keep in mind that the more drives you put at the front of a case, the less efficiently air is able to make it to the back of the case, and hard drives do produce some heat.
If you're going to be running lots of drives I'd look at a case where you can mount a pair of side panel fans to blow air directly onto the GPUs and the CPU.

Back