• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2100/2200 No Boot Problem, and Why Raising Multiplier To 13X and Higher Hasn't Worked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

John C.

2100/2200 No Boot Problem, and Why Raising Multiplier To 13X and Higher Hasn't Worked

2100/2200 No Boot Problem, and Why Raising Multiplier To 13X and Higher Hasn't Worked.

Recent posts indicate that some users are confused aboutsetting up and oc'g the 13X/13.5X 2100/2200 CPUs. Butthere was no confusion from the 10X 1500 thru the 12.5X 2000 CPU, so lets begin with those.

The 5 Palomino L1 bridges were open just like the 4 TbirdL1s before them, so closing all 5 on 1500s and higher was not a new thing. Users just closed them to get bios control of Multiplier settings, and systems booted, no problems.

But 13X 2100 systems did NOT boot, and pcstats.com found that reversing the 2 L10 bridges would allow systems to boot at 5X. Then if user had closed the open L1s the bios had control of the 5X thru 12.5X Multiplier range...but not 13X or higher. No one has ever explained WHY this is so, but it's tolerable since most oc'ers raise the Host Clock/FSB and reduce the Multiplier anyway. And right now we'd like to "separate" 2 issues. Closing the open L1s allows the bios to reset the default Multiplier Code, so that can be called "unlocking" the Multiplier, (but L1s do not themselves reset any Code).

But reversing the L10s "does reset" the default Multiplier from 13X to 5X, and IF the open L1s are not closed, that's EXACTLY where the system would run, at 5X. So the L10 "mod" does "not unlock" the Multiplier, it's a "limited workaround" that "fixes" whatever prevents 13X 2100s from booting, but "limited" 'cause even with closed L1's the bios is "limited" to 12.5X max. The same holds true for closing the 5th L3 "limited workaround" on the 13.5X 2200, which boots at 5.5X, but by virtue of closed L1s comes "unlocked", no user closing required. xtremesystems.org originally found that closing all 3 open L3s on the 2200 would enable it to boot (at 11X), but we saw a correlation to the 2100's L10 workaround and suggested that only the
5th L3 need be closed, which "deerhunter" successfully
implemented, and has been very popular since. BTW, 5th L3 workaround works on the 2400, probably all Tbreds.

What both the L10 Palomino and 5th L3 Tbred workarounds do is to "reset the default HI 5th 8X Bit Value to LO", and as above it works in its limited way. So several other ways to reset that bit LO by grounding the AJ27 pin etc have been successfully tried and documented.

But now we see posts where some users are trying to oc 2000s and lower, to 13X by "resetting the default LO 5th 8X Bit Value to HI", but it has NOT worked, nor should we be surprised...right??? If 13X and higher won't boot, needs the workaround to reset that 5th bit LO, why should anyone expect a reset to HI to work?? And resetting a 2000's L10s to HI resets the default 12X multiplier to 4X which is one of Mobile Athlon's Power Now settings which desktop mobo/bios/Northbridge probably "gag on".

Remember, no one knows the nature of the problem,
probably some incompatibilty between CPU mobo.bios and/or Northbridge which are all involved in the boot process. All we know is that the several different physical workarounds, but electrically similar...work to BOOT 2100s and 2200s.

So hope this explains why raisng the Multiplier to 13X
and higher hasn't worked...but not to say that it will
fail forever...some mobo/bios/Northbridge might show up that doesn't need the workarounds and that might oc 2000s and lower to 13X and higher...but for now the
situation is as above. Hope this clarifies what can
"currently" be done and not done, save a lot of grief.
Please post when the situation changes.

http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm for articles on various aspects of these issues. Start with Tbred article which has section/s on workarounds, discovery and development.
John C.

John
Also on the A7 boards the 13x and 14x are seen as 5x and 6x,at least on my boards they are with 1011 bios.So in turn when I was using those two x's my chips were very well underclocked.
And not seen properly thru my bios,end result no boot...........

jszent said:
John
Also on the A7 boards the 13x and 14x are seen as 5x and 6x,at least on my boards they are with 1011 bios.So in turn when I was using those two x's my chips were very well underclocked.
And not seen properly thru my bios,end result no boot...........

Thanks jszent,
First which mfr is the A7 (see how litlle we keep up with mobos, don't build systems). Then a bit confused on the sequence...ie...did system need the 8X L10 or 5th L3 mod in order to boot, or did it just not boot?? How were you able to try 13X and 14X, thru bios or with with default cpus?? But not surprised that they are seen as "8X less", that's what chips have been seen as after the mod which disables/ resets LO the 8X Bit Value.

Hope you can clarify. Thanks again, maybe some day we'll find out what's causing this problem. Finally, another thought...Commercial systems with these chips obviously "can't have" this problem...how come...did their engineers solve this problem with various suppliers, mobo mfrs, chipset mfts, AMD???
John C.

John
The mobo is Asus, no the unlock was the usual connection of the L1 bridges,then I connected the 2 pins under the chip with defogger paint(don't know which 2 of hand they are the same used in the pin mod). Yes mobo did boot but did not see 13x and 14x as 13 and 14. Instead the mobo and bios saw 13x as 5x and 14x as 6x.After the mod 13 and 14 were gonechanged to 5 and 6.

jszent said:
John
The mobo is Asus, no the unlock was the usual connection of the L1 bridges,then I connected the 2 pins under the chip with defogger paint(don't know which 2 of hand they are the same used in the pin mod). Yes mobo did boot but did not see 13x and 14x as 13 and 14. Instead the mobo and bios saw 13x as 5x and 14x as 6x.After the mod 13 and 14 were gonechanged to 5 and 6.

OK, thanks,
The pins mod does the same thing as the L10 bridge pair reversal/2100 and closing the 5th L3/2200...they all reset the 8X Bit Value LO...so nothing "new " there. And getting
8X less than set by bios is also the response for mobos that can't handle 2100/2200 after the 8X Bit Value"mods" above. Thanks again.
John C.

Back