• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2100+ B Core VS. 2500+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK, I did some checking and it is indeed set to "Auto". Here are all the settings starting at the top of that page thru the memory timings:

Expert
Optimal
Auto
Expert

I have relaxed the memory timings and still nothing above 187 is even remotely stable. I am using an Enermax 450W power supply, but don't really see it being a problem. I cannot even UNDER-clock the processor at a 200FSB, and I would believe the CPU would pull more power than the chipset (correct me if I'm wrong). The chipset is actively cooled with a 50mm fan and doesn't get much more than warm to the touch, if that.

Also, I have run the FSB at 166 and set memory to 120% and had 0 problems, but of course the FSB is the bottleneck and running memory beyond the speed of the FSB is a waste of time.

However, if someone has some settings they would like me to try or anything else to check, please let me know. While I am very experienced at overclocking, I don't profess to know everything.

2100+ AIUHB 0248 MPMW (183x13.5) 2470MHz
FIC AN19-E (KT400), 512mb OCZ PC2700 2-2-2-5-1T,
2x60Gb HD, Raid 0, 1x40Gb WD (winxp) 1x60GB WD (proggys)
1xDVD-ROM, 1XCD-RW (TDK), vcore @1.875, vdimm @2.70, Geforce4 TI4400 (LeadTek)... HS AX-7 w/Tornado (84CFM)
(antec SL-450 watts) Antec Case w/4 highoutput 80mm fans (50cfm)
Ain't nothing wrong with the xp2100, just got to get the Tbred B versions and have a reliable pwr supply and a good mem stick...
This is rig #1, my 2nd rig is in the sig. Looking around the net, doesn't seem to be many good xp2100 left what will get you in the upper 2.4-2.5GHz range... you may just consider a Barton 2500 which has been quite a cache lately... read up on the stepping and dates that these guys have been getting good results from. you may find a diamond somewhere out there. :)

ROMAD, what happens at 100% Memory Frequency?

RedDawg41, that VIA KT400 mobo has only the /5 divider & no PCI lock so 19x-2xx FSB is not even an option for it.

c-man,

I was responding to the original posting of deciding between the xp2100 or the xp2500... to wit, my xp2100 does close to 2.5 on a kt400 mobo, none the less, getting an xp2100 right now from any i-net stores might not be as easy as it once was, therefore helping Camh to decide on which xp would be for him to look at. Aslo by looking at CamH sig, he's got an Epox 8K3A+ (KT333) mobo (with 1/5 divider), which is why I included my 1st rigs profile and which may or may not hinder his OC experience with the xp cpu (2100 or 2500?). Of course, my preference of mobo's would be the nforce2 (abit, asus, or any others out there that have the pci/agp lock) which one would buy and assures him with a better success of oc'ing ones cpu.

c627627 said:
ROMAD, what happens at 100% Memory Frequency?

Good question, let's find out...

After playing with some settings, I guess I wasn't very thorough. If I set FSB to 166 and memory to 120%, I can run fine (that's what I'm using now). However, if I run at 200 FSB and 83% memory, that works too. Long story short, I can run EITHER 200MHz FSB OR 200MHz memory, but not both. I ran a couple of games of WarCraft III under the 200MHz FSB/166MHz memory settings. Granted, it's not scientific, but when I run 200/200, I immediately start getting registry errors and video corruption. Sooo... it's really making me wonder about my power supply. Any tips on what to check? Next question is, what does everyone recommend in a ~500W "good" & cheap power supply??? :(

Sorry, to answer your original question, I tried 100% memory, but that had the same effect as "Auto". I have been routinely running VDIMM at 2.77v. I tried 2.90, but that didn't seem to make any difference. Going lower, depending on settings, causes it to hang on boot.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, guys! I just ordered the 2500+ and NF7. :)

I guess I'm just wondering if everyone is in agreement that it looks like my PSU is the problem? I really can't see why else it would act this way.

CamH said:
Either one would be overclocked, however. Does the lower cache size hurt the tbreds that much?

yes a DLT3C at 2.4 = a 2500 at 2.2-2.3, I had a JIUHB DLT3C 0310, now I have a Barton, I am in process of burning it in good, so far the benches have been a bit better on the Barton, I assume from the cache advantage but other variables could also be the cause. Now that I have the Barton I would say if you have a good 1700 DLT3C I would not upgrade, I would wait and get a 2800 when prices drop. Both chips are very close, however for video encoding and gaming the Barton has an edge.

Daily use you would not see much diff imho

Cisco KId

Back