• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2400mhz DDR on FX8320E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

netmask

So people since I was really skeptical about getting a new pair of ddr3 @ 2,4G to squeeze out a little more performance on my 8320 to make the wait for zen a little easier. So i got that 2x4 gskill ares and my chip runs it fine. I read in some other places that 1866 would be done but anything beyond that point is not guaranteed but turns out 2,4 is doable, in fact just plug and play for the speed and the timings advertised as well. I hope that info helps. Untitled.jpg

What's your CPU/NB voltage set to?
Nice to see it can be done. Just need the right chips and a good IMC I guess.

That's cool, 2400 can be hit or miss with some ram kits/density/ or even the CPU IMC.

What kind of stress testing have you done?

The "E" series may have something to do with it as well.

What's your CPU/NB voltage set to?
Nice to see it can be done. Just need the right chips and a good IMC I guess.

What kind of stress testing have you done?

The "E" series may have something to do with it as well.

I'll be posting voltages tomorrow since I'm away from my rig. So far I just played a couple of hours fallout 4 if it counts for stressing :-D

I'll be posting voltages tomorrow since I'm away from my rig. So far I just played a couple of hours fallout 4 if it counts for stressing :-D
lol kinda, just be sure to stress with memtest for a few passes.

Trust me when I say silent corruption is a b*tch and unstoppable once it starts.

How about trying a couple hours Prime95!

I'd like to see a Linpack test my self.

But 1200mhz is not super uncommon, but if we where looking at 2666Mhz (1333) that would be pretty killer. I know certain RAM (samsung chips in particular) can run speeds this high no problems especially for benchmarking.

RAM speed is good, just gotta get that CPU frequency up around 4600mhz and this would be a pretty nice gaming rig!

lol kinda, just be sure to stress with memtest for a few passes.

Trust me when I say silent corruption is a b*tch and unstoppable once it starts.

Silver, first thought I had on reading this was: “The slow blade penetrates the shield”, not sure why...

OP: it's awesome your RAM is clocking so high, now crank up the CPU (and if you haven't, try a memtest just to be sure... Things go from ram to disk, and if your RAM isn't stable, your disk is got garbage on it) :p

Is that fast ram actually doing anything for you?, say vs. 1600 @ 7-8-7-24?

Is that fast ram actually doing anything for you?, say vs. 1600 @ 7-8-7-24?

Something about cycles per second. However latency takes it's toll.

So 2400 at CAS 11 would be 2400 cycles a second and would take 11 cycles to achieve.

OR 1600 cycles per second and would take only 7 cycles to achieve.

The 2400 is 800 cycles per second faster, but CAS is 4 cycle slower.

The 2400mhz would be only roughly 400 cycles per second faster because of the latency.

He could improve the latency to CAS 9 to increase the cycles per second and perhaps see a better gain over the 400 extra cycles per second.

I think I'm close on this. It's been a while since I've crunched cycles and shiznit.

But the technical answer would be the 2400mhz is faster by a small amount. Probably not noticeable in any real world application other than benchmarking. This would need some testing.

___________ A personal liking to speed____________

I generally try and run 1000 - 1100mhz at Cas 9. I've run many FX chips at 1100mhz at 9-10-9-27-36 1T and 2T depending on the sticks.

The BEST gains I've seen where from overclocking the stock 666mhz divider at 9-9-9-24-32 1T to 933Mhz OC.

___________A note with overclocking the CPU_________

Since the usual is to overclock the CPU up as far as it goes, this does have an effect on memory speeds. This generally holds true to video cards particularly NV. When you OC the memory, the CPU frequency at lower speeds yields better stability. This is all due to the memory divider at hand. When changing the reference clock or Bus of the cpu, it changes the memories divider and can cripple the overclock.

__________Opinion for overclocking CPU vs Memory__________

I'd rather have a much higher CPU frequency over the Memory frequency. It's the most important part in the rig.

Take that 4.6ghz CPU OC and 1600Mhz Cas 5-7 over 2400mhz Cas 11 Memory with a stock CPU any day.

Something about cycles per second. However latency takes it's toll.

So 2400 at CAS 11 would be 2400 cycles a second and would take 11 cycles to achieve.

OR 1600 cycles per second and would take only 7 cycles to achieve.

The 2400 is 800 cycles per second faster, but CAS is 4 cycle slower.

The 2400mhz would be only roughly 400 cycles per second faster because of the latency.

He could improve the latency to CAS 9 to increase the cycles per second and perhaps see a better gain over the 400 extra cycles per second.

I think I'm close on this. It's been a while since I've crunched cycles and shiznit.

But the technical answer would be the 2400mhz is faster by a small amount. Probably not noticeable in any real world application other than benchmarking. This would need some testing.

___________ A personal liking to speed____________

I generally try and run 1000 - 1100mhz at Cas 9. I've run many FX chips at 1100mhz at 9-10-9-27-36 1T and 2T depending on the sticks.

The BEST gains I've seen where from overclocking the stock 666mhz divider at 9-9-9-24-32 1T to 933Mhz OC.

___________A note with overclocking the CPU_________

Since the usual is to overclock the CPU up as far as it goes, this does have an effect on memory speeds. This generally holds true to video cards particularly NV. When you OC the memory, the CPU frequency at lower speeds yields better stability. This is all due to the memory divider at hand. When changing the reference clock or Bus of the cpu, it changes the memories divider and can cripple the overclock.

__________Opinion for overclocking CPU vs Memory__________

I'd rather have a much higher CPU frequency over the Memory frequency. It's the most important part in the rig.

Take that 4.6ghz CPU OC and 1600Mhz Cas 5-7 over 2400mhz Cas 11 Memory with a stock CPU any day.

So no then. :D

So no then. :D

Yes and No? Maybe?

If you solely rely on Pimod for testing, 2400Mhz Cas 9 would probably beat out 1600mhz Cas 7 really.

For web browsing.... nah. not in the least bit. You want faster Internet and SSD for that.

Gaming, a stout CPU frequency and nice big video card.

And so on.

Back