• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500k and Ripjaws 16GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandy_b

I have an asrock z68 extreme4 gen3 board and 16GB of Ripjaws I didn't need but bought because it was so cheap. Not knowing I would have a problem installing these four rams based on HS/fan combo I am unsure what to choose. I do not want to remove the tall HS because I believe it will void warranty.

I only want to achieve 4.5GHz so I don't think extreme cooling is necessary (ie Silver Arrow, NH-D14). But during the summer months my room can get into the 90+ temps with it getting 115 degrees outside so maybe these should still be options. I just do not know and would seek advice from the experts.

The ones I have read about are HR-02 Macho, Noctua NH-U12P-SE2, COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, Corsair H80, Prolimatech Genesis, Silver Arrow, and NH-D14. The last three probably being overkill but would like any comments you might have, especially with the high temps upstairs during summertime.

Again, clearance is very important (no modding). The system will be in my brothers old P182 case so I don't think any height issues. I would have put the Archon on the list if it had not been 170mm :(

Please help with my decision if you can. And suggestions other than the above are most welcome :)

Sounds easy to me... you dont need 16GB (4x4GB), so only use 2 sticks and sell the rest.

That solution still does not address my cooling predicament now does it?

The coolers I listed should be able to clear all four slots based on my research. But I may have overlooked or missed something so I am asking a population of enthusiasts who have experience with said hardware. Is that too much to ask?

Thanks for your response.

I dont see a cooling predicament...since you wont change the cooler. The ram you purchased does not fit underneath the cooler, so get new ram (AKA - Ram predicament :p). Any of these will work if you still insist on 16GB of ram.

And these for 8GB..

As you can see tehy are all low profile sticks with no useless heatsinks sticking up. ;)

EarthDog, I do not have the cooler yet. I have my ram modules and I cannot return them since I bought them quite some time ago. I am seeking advice on what cooler to buy based on the elements of my environment as well as the OC I would like to achieve (4.5GHz). Thanks for your wisdom to just ditch my oversized ripjaws, but I would like to keep them and succeed in choosing the right cooler. I am not looking for the EASIEST solution. Given the variables in my first post I think a solution is there without having to exchange or sell my rams.

I also don't want to buy a cooler that is overkill since I have heard SB chips do not get that hot at a mild 4.5 OC. Hence the additional info about my indoor temps over summer and may well be in my interest to buy the massive Silver Arrow, NH-D14, or Pro Genesis.

Maybe I have brain damage, but I thought my first post here on this forum was to the point and concise with adequate info to get feedback from other enthusiasts.

Thanks again for your time.

Go with the H80 if you're worried about ram clearance. No issues with those heat sinks.

My apologies on almost completely blowing it. You were pretty clear up top... ;)

Anyway, with larger sticks like that, I too would go with an all-in-one type kit like the H80 if I was you.

The H80 would be a good choice for your system, but is on the expensive side. It does offer superlative performance though but might be overkill for you. But with the heatload of 2500k, it could also operate almost silently. As for other choices for your system, the HR-02 Macho would work well and would clear all the ram slots. The MUX120 and MUX120 Black would also be good choices and would give no interference with the ram. The Genesis would also work with your Ripjaws, as the layed over heatpipe stack is far enough away from the ram slots to give clearance. Another choice that should work with your board would be a TRUE Rev. C and use a 25 mm thick fan. There are several choices for you to look at.

Mmm...
Cooling...
That's really something that you buy once and can use and reuse. I really believe it's worth the 40/50 extra bucks as if someday you want to take more out of your cpu, or change rig or... It will be there!
Look at me, I bought a PhII last October, not planning to do much. Then I DISCOVERED overclockers.com!
1 month later I was going with a tx3... Not strong enough! Then I went for a Water loop!
Water loop that I reused for my 2600k, getting a megahalem for the PhII...

I think I will keep the megahalem for my next rigs, as I will do with the water loop.

I would go with the HR-02 macho. At $40 + shipping, can't go wrong.
but if you don't like huge heatsinks, i would go with H80/H100

I'll be the first to say that 4 sticks of RAM is generally a no-no, but not because of heatsink clearance. That said, the easiest solution has been stated a few times.

Get an all in one water cooling in a box system. Those avoid all the clerance issues known to man while generally performing a hair better than even the best air coolers... while generally being quieter to boot. Plus they make the case look so much cleaner. :D

My roomy has the H70 and it brings his box together nicely while avoiding ram clearance issues and cooling well, while I still rock a really old NH-U12P because it's ran through 2 boxes with me so far. It's still sufficient, not the best, but definitely sufficient. :)

I use 4 sticks of oldschool ripjaw with no issues with my U12P. In general, I think you can avoid the clearance issues with simple tower coolers as well. In my case, I can get both fans on mine with just a hair to spare with 4 sticks of RAM.

Just wanted to say I also have a Asrock Extreme4 mobo and i use the TR silver arrow, it clears the 2nd slot so you could theoricaly stick 6 inch long heatspreaders and it would still fit :p

Just picked up another 8GB of G-Skill RipjawsX, and running 4/4 under an HR-02. Shouldn't be any clearance issues with a Macho either.
OP, if you run with 4x slots filled, bump up the DRAM voltage slightly and maybe VTT for added stability (using DRAM=1.52V and VTT=1.1V).

Edit: Vengeance modules could still lead to clearance issues, but that's because the original versions have ridiculous bart simpson-hair heatspreaders.

Thanks very much for all the feedback. In the end I chose the HR-02 Macho from nans gaming gear (should be here on monday). I am very much interested in reading muddocktor's review (hope it will be posted soon) :thup:

Will try and post pics once completed :)

I want to say how much I enjoy this forum. When I built my Abit IP35 Pro/Q6600 3+ years ago, I received so much helpful info from reading the members posts (did not register). This time I asked for help and the responses were more than I had hoped for. You guys are tops in my book and I will do my best in becoming a contributing member. Thank you.

Back