• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2d tearing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

Well i had a hunch when i posted this the first time in general gpu that it wouldnt get n e love... so lets see how it goes here

OK we all expierence it, take a smaller window and drag it across the screen... the result is tearing. now i can easily get rid of 3d tearing by forcing vsync on in the nvidia control pannel but how would i go about gettin rid of 2d tearing, if at all possible.

I don't know of any way, but that's actually one of my favorite things about Vista, being able to use v-sync on the 3D desktop.

Yeah I know, really says something about the OS when that's the best feature, heh.

MattCoz said:
I don't know of any way, but that's actually one of my favorite things about Vista, being able to use v-sync on the 3D desktop.

Yeah I know, really says something about the OS when that's the best feature, heh.

you dont get tearing with you drag a window across the screen? i kno there areo but the only time theres 3d is windows + tab

nd4spdbh2 said:
Well i had a hunch when i posted this the first time in general gpu that it wouldnt get n e love... so lets see how it goes here

OK we all expierence it, take a smaller window and drag it across the screen... the result is tearing. now i can easily get rid of 3d tearing by forcing vsync on in the nvidia control pannel but how would i go about gettin rid of 2d tearing, if at all possible.

V-Sync is normally forced on in 2D. If you are tearing in 2D you are not hardware accelerating for some
reason or it's a quirk on the monitor/resolution you are running the 2D desktop at.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
V-Sync is normally forced on in 2D. If you are tearing in 2D you are not hardware accelerating for some
reason or it's a quirk on the monitor/resolution you are running the 2D desktop at.

Viper

well it doesnt matter what computer i am on... everything tears or what i think is tearing... ok go to ocforums.com... maximize a that windo... then open up another window what ever browser and make is small... then drag it across the darker backgroun of oc forums... see all the white and striaght horizontal lines... isnt that tearing... ugg i wish i could get rid of it.

nd4spdbh2 said:
well it doesnt matter what computer i am on... everything tears or what i think is tearing... ok go to ocforums.com... maximize a that windo... then open up another window what ever browser and make is small... then drag it across the darker backgroun of oc forums... see all the white and striaght horizontal lines... isnt that tearing... ugg i wish i could get rid of it.

I just did that and popped up a Jpeg picture about 1/4 of the full screen size and ran it around all over the
place. No tears, no lines no nothing but a perfect picture running around on top the OCforums background.

Try this. Do what you said to above and while running your smaller window around hit the print screen key
to see if you can capture what is happening. You can then paste that bitmap capture into and image editor,
convert it to a Jpeg and post it in the forum so we can see what you are talking about.

It really sounds like the hardware acceleration of the desktop is disabled somehow.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
I just did that and popped up a Jpeg picture about 1/4 of the full screen size and ran it around all over the
place. No tears, no lines no nothing but a perfect picture running around on top the OCforums background.

Try this. Do what you said to above and while running your smaller window around hit the print screen key
to see if you can capture what is happening. You can then paste that bitmap capture into and image editor,
convert it to a Jpeg and post it in the forum so we can see what you are talking about.

It really sounds like the hardware acceleration of the desktop is disabled somehow.

Viper

Well forget that. I just trued disabling HW acceleration and trying a screen print capture of the crap I
was seeing and it didn't work. Had mulitple images of the window I was moving around all over the
desktop but the screen print looked perfect.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
Well forget that. I just trued disabling HW acceleration and trying a screen print capture of the crap I
was seeing and it didn't work. Had mulitple images of the window I was moving around all over the
desktop but the screen print looked perfect.

Viper

same thing happens to me... if i drag a window i see little "artifacts" and its almost like the window skews a bit... but a printscreen shows nothing of the sort.

its nothing bad its just i can see it and have always seen it and i was wondering if there was a way to up the performance of 2d applications... u think a workstation/ CAD card would have this prob... hmm

BTW HW accell is all the way up.

Interesting, I have this same problem (apparant lack of hardware accel in 2d mode) with an old PCI 9200. Are you running vista or XP, we may have a common glitch.

Karadhas said:
Interesting, I have this same problem (apparant lack of hardware accel in 2d mode) with an old PCI 9200. Are you running vista or XP, we may have a common glitch.

If you are running an old PCI 9200 with Vista's Aero Crap Desktop (which is a 3D application) it will be
slow even with HW Acceleration.

Viper

Actually I'm running a PCI 9200 on XP that i've disabled all fancy effects on and have configured to look like windows98. Considering that an mx420 was more than enough to run XP without any tearing or slowdown or visible refreshing I figured it had to be acceleration being turned off.

i dont think it has to do with acceleration at all... its exhibiting the same thing as tearing in a game... in other words the gfx card is pumpin out tons of fps but i cant force vsync on in 2d so it tears.

nd4spdbh2 said:
i dont think it has to do with acceleration at all... its exhibiting the same thing as tearing in a game... in other words the gfx card is pumpin out tons of fps but i cant force vsync on in 2d so it tears.

Vsync is always on in 2D.

Viper

hmm well im definetly expierencing tearing... i think it might be the monitor because my other computer that i have on a kmv does the same thing... its nothing really it just would be baller if i could get uber smooth window draging.

stock clocks... im starting to think its a crt thing, or just something that you cant get rid of no mater what your setup.

nd4spdbh2 said:
stock clocks... im starting to think its a crt thing, or just something that you cant get rid of no mater what your setup.

Try connecting a monitor to the computer without going through the KMV switch and see what happens.

Viper

Back