• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x E5-2687W cooling question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

multra

Registered
Heya guys,
I have recently bought myself an older Dell Precision T7600 workstation. It came with 2x E5-2667 processors (6 cores each).
I will be using this puppy as my server loaded with ESXi and numerous VMs on top so not really a workstation at all. Looking at the T7600 specs I decided to maximize the core count and bought 2x E5-2687W processors (8 cores each).
Reading around (silly me, after purchasing), these procs draw 150W at full load which is a bit alarming considering I did not give much thought to whether the stock heatsinks are up for the task.

What are you thoughts? Do you have experience with these procs and whether I should be ok with stock heatsink?
Also, I obviously plan on re-applying a decent thermal grease. Any suggestions as to which kind/brand I should go with and perhaps a technique? I cannot seem to find a delidding image of that processor.
Being the alongated kind, I can only assume a "string" technique may work best?

Many thanks!

The E5-2687W is listed as a supported processor for that workstation. I only see one heatsink design for the system, so you will likely be fine.

Not sure on brand of heatsink compound, and our Master Cooling Thread covers application. Because of the longer chip, you could do a small line, as well. Do not de-lid the processor.

Thank you! I suppose my work loads are expected to be nominal so perhaps you are right, I should be fine.
I ran into a blog where the author says they run way too hot with stock. https://t3600fanblog.wordpress.com/2020/08/20/t7600-upgrade-reader-submission/

Back