• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3D printers - where to start?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tRidiot

Premium Member
Looking for a moderately good one, nothing major, just to make some small projects at home. The Boy says he wants one - he is into engineering/designing projects, he's always talking about how he could put a model together and print a part, etc.

Nothing commercial, probably pretty light use, but versatile. Where's the best place to read up on these and the more recent development in home/consumer use 3D printer.

Prusa mini is supposed to be the 'set it and forget it' option. I haven't used one myself but have spent some time window shopping. I may have to get one, but I'm just not convinced that the cost is justified.

Next up at and more affordable is the Ender 3. I do own one of these and like it a bit. There is alot of room to learn what makes a printer tik with this kit, and it makes good prints. Ender 2 (which I also own) is basically the same printer with a smaller build plate and smaller price tag.

The big thing to know with 3d printers is that they will: break down/clog/need trouble shooting. If you don't have time to tinker, the Prusa is supposed to be the bees knees. But if you don't mind putting in a small amount of elbow grease and brain power, the Enders will get you a good look at the hobby.

Back