• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 x 18A rails VS 2 x 25A railes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antipesto93

i am undecided between the 700w modxtream and the 700w stealthxtreme
they only differences i can find is

modxtreme is modular, andmore efficent

also theese lables are different
asdasdasdasd-1.jpg

what one is better?

Its not 72A. 43A is the rated amperage for that PSU (655-155 = 520/12 43a. The other one is really 46A 522W/12 = 46A. When the sticker is setup as these are, any power used by the 3.3 and 5v rails will subtract from the total output of the 12v rail. So though it may say 72A, as the load increases on the 3.3/5v rails, that number will drop (not on the mod extreme it seems).

I would go with the modxstreme if these are your only two choices. Personally I would stick with Corsair, Silverstone, PCPnC, or something along those lines then this. Not that its bad, but there is better and more amperage for the wattage listed. Look at the Corsair 750TX and its rating for example. it has a true 60A on the 12v.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...0TX 750W Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Last edited:
by the way, it will be powering a new rig,
i7 920 @ 4.0 ish
EX48-ud4..ish...
3 sticks ddr3
GTX 260
2hdd's

and loads of fans/light and stuff :)

Personally I would stick with Corsair, Silverstone, PCPnC, or something along those lines then this. Not that its bad, but there is better and more amperage for the wattage listed. Look at the Corsair 750TX and its rating for example. it has a true 60A on the 12v.

hmm in england a 750tx is like double the price of the modxstream, arghhh i wish there was newegg in the uk:bang head

yeah they soing like a frekin jet enjine, i currently have the 600w versino, but its getting old, and not sure if it can power u full i7 rig

by the way, it will be powering a new rig,
i7 920 @ 4.0 ish
EX48-ud4..ish...
3 sticks ddr3
GTX 260
2hdd's

and loads of fans/light and stuff :)
You mean X58. ;)

hmm in england a 750tx is like double the price of the modxstream, arghhh i wish there was newegg in the uk:bang head
Try something in the 600W range from this thread. Modular or non, your choice.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=589708

With that rig you listed it will be powering, you can EASILY get away with something that has 50A on the 12v rail(s). And remember, you dont add up the rails in most PSU's to get their actual 12v rail output.

Below is the summary from Jonnyguru on one of the PSU's you listed, I wouldnt use it.

SUMMARY:

It's obvious that despite this units light weight that this unit isn't a... well... light weight! It's was amazing how it putted along putting out nearly 700W of power and never really got hot. The voltage stood up, we have active PFC and the efficiency was pretty darn good. The only real problem was the excess ripple which exceed the ATX specification. If FSP and OCZ can get together and solve this problem, they'll have a power supply that all other manufacturers will have to use as a benchmark.

The Good....
Fairly efficient
Quiet
Active Power Factor Correction
All cable sleeved
Blue LED fan looks cool
Puts out beau coup power without breaking the bank

The Bad....
Ripple that exceeds tolerances documented in the ATX specifications

The Mediocre....
Nothing really "mediocre" about it!
Actually, thats a Gamextreme, my bad!

Last edited:
I had a hiper before my corsair. It was loud, really loud and it broke in less then a month. It wasnt even a fan that was making the noise, but the compoents in the PSU. Got my corsair now, and I'm much happier.

My vote would be Corsair. Wattage isn't everything, primarily because they tend to be over-inflated. A good, strong +12v rail is all I'll ever use on my systems, and Corsair delivers that very well. This isn't to insult the Hiper; I have no knowledge of it whatsoever. Just expressing my strong affinity for Corsair PSUs.

Back