• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5.25" bays

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
Since when did 5.25" bays become a "rarity"?

I can understand OS installs on USB thumbdrives and game downloads via broadband, but are people migrating to USB external optical drives now or what? Fan controllers?

Most people are using PWM fan control via internal splitters/controllers now. The rare times that I need to use an ODD I'll grab the USB external drive.

I'll go find a download for something before popping a disk in these days.

We're getting old. IMHO the trend is towards streaming digital content. No reason for physical drives unless its on a thumbdrive.

As for fan controllers, I see that more and more Mobo's have integrated control... and along with hardware becoming more energy efficient, external fan controllers may become obsolete.

On a side note.. Social groups are killing bulletin boards, like this one. What's the average age of active users on this forum?

I had two optical drives in my Dual Xeon system. I had one with my Core 2 Duo/Quad system and that drive got handed down to my X99 system. My AMD 2700X doesn’t have one. I haven’t actually used an optical drive in many years outside of taking my dvds and Blu-ray’s and making digital copies for my media server. Then those discs sit on display on the shelf never to be touched again other then when browsing what to watch.

I could see putting the bays back in for other things that used the space though.

I never adopted to Blue Ray, but I don't watch movies on my computers, aside from streaming. Still use 5.25 DVD(and CD) drives, but most of my cases are <cough> "older"...

I just use a Plextor DVD-RW. Useful for making CDs for my car, but with both cars now on Bluetooth I don't even do that any more.

Yep. Just getting old I suppose. Maybe I'll find a SATA to USB box to put my Plextor in for the next rig.

I must say, USB3 thumb drive reads and write speeds are pretty nuts.

Back