• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5700XT Power Tuning causing instability in only some games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vaneesbe

Registered
Hello,

I've got an Asus TUF Gaming X570 motherboard with a 3900X and a Gigabyte OC 5700XT. The computer has a new Corsair RM850x PS.

I'm using Wattman to try overclocking.

I can set VRAM = 1900Mhz, Voltage = 1100mV, and default turbo frequency = 2079. All is good and stable.

If I crank up the power +10% or +15%, I get a performance improvement and the board is stable, even passing 3DMark Stress tests and works in many games, like Project Cars 3.

But, if I go into Forza 7, which I play the most, it will crash pretty quickly with any amount of power tuning. I find this weird because Forza 7 is not a demanding game and the GPU will usually run ~50% providing 4K 60Hz at Ultra settings.

If I go even higher with power tuning, like 30%+, board still passes 3DMark stress test, but Forza will crash almost immediately, even in the menus!

Forza 7 has been an ongoing issue for some systems since around 20.2.2 according to AMD forums, but you can try upping the volts and see if it makes any difference. Mine needs ~1.13v to be stable @2100mhz/1900mhz (core/mem).

Forza 7 has been an ongoing issue for some systems since around 20.2.2 according to AMD forums, but you can try upping the volts and see if it makes any difference. Mine needs ~1.13v to be stable @2100mhz/1900mhz (core/mem).

Interesting.

Even if I leave it at 1.2V, the system will pass torture tests, but if I enable power tuning Forza will crash quite swiftly.

Is AMD going to fix the problem with Forza?

That's enlightening. Thank you.

Sorry to necro but I was having a similar issue with the Division 2. Oddly enough my RX 5700XT doesn’t do nearly as well with the game compared to games like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Cyberpunk. On top of that in default settings for the Division 2 the card runs hotter. Thankfully the card handles the Division 2 fine at default settings so what I ended up doing was creating a separate profile for it and setting it to run the default out of the box settings.

If you need to increase the voltage for the game maybe just do it for the game that needs it.

Back