• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64FX and Windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pipsquek

Registered
Heya got a question, Im looking to buy a 64 FX processor and new mobo/memory etc.. Was wondering if windows xp (32 bit) will work with the new processor? Also once the 64 bit version of windows comes out will I still be able to install and run 32bit apps and games and such?

Currenty im lookin to get the Athlon 64 FX-53 and Asus SK8V, anyone have a better suggestion for the mobo?

Yes and yes (*though there may be windows related backwards incompatibility with some programs. But that would be an OS issue and should be fixable in software)

Unless you already have Registered DDR SDRAM, I'd stay away from the SK8V & Socket 940 platform.

The FX-53 is available in Socket 939 now, which can use regular Unbuffered DDR SDRAM. The recommended board right now is the Asus A8V Deluxe (from looking around at the guys who have FX-53's).

However, if you're willing to wait this long for an FX-53, you could hold out for a couple weeks and grab the FX-55 instead (2.6 GHz, 1 MB L2, Socket 939). AFAIK, October 11th is the release date for the FX-55 and Athlon 64 4000+.

AMD likes to only have one flagship A64 FX processor for sale at any time, so my guess would be that the FX-55 will be priced very similarly to the FX-53.

At least that's how it was with the FX-51 and FX-53.

Back