• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6700k cold boot issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaiff75

Registered
hey guys im back! lol so i finally just settled on a lower oc/lower voltage over the 4.7 i had before so i wouldnt have a pc shaped hairdryer in my room. currently running 4.5 @ 1.25v LLC on max, all cstates left on auto. runs prefect over the past few days playing games, general use and several benchmarks/stress tests. all good so far. normally i just let my computer sleep and no issues with it coming back to life. but if i try and cold boot from being shut down its failing to boot. sometimes it tries to post and then shuts off but usually powers up the hardware for a sec, spins the fans and then immediately shuts down. could cstates be doing this with them being on auto or could it possibly be the power draw limit settings? theres power draw settings for package 1&2 and platform 1&2. on auto right now. any ideas?

well. for the time being i think i may have found the culprit. i had my cache overclocked to 4.4 and knocking it back down to 4.0 gets it to cold boot fine so far with 2 tries. does that sound like a side effect of unstable cache clock? it was running fine otherwise so idk.

First I wouldn't run LLC on max it will cause too much voltage swing in the ++ direction which could have contributed to the cold boot issues or just not enough initial voltage which is kind of the same. Cache runs from the CPU V_Core voltage rail so it may have been a bit low and you were relying on LLC to kick in and keep it stable under load.
Are you using offset voltage or manual?

I am using manual voltage. Lowering llc would require more voltage for a stable overclock so if it's overvolting on boot already would that help? I tried bumping manual voltage to 1.275v with the same llc setting and still had the issue. I didn't think booting would require more power than stress testing would. And if its undervolting on boot I don't know what else would help besides a downclock.

Lower LLC and give it more base voltage, yes. LLC boosts on LOAD, so perhaps your idle voltage is low because of the cranked LLC.

Yeah I definitely achieved the low voltage from the maxed llc, I didn't know it would crank that high for boot as running stress test only raised the voltage .01v on 100% load

So maybe I should try 1.28v or so with llc lowered and go from there then?

Ill have to double check when I get home but I believe it is on the default auto setting

EIST is on the default "auto" so i assume its enabled. i lowered lcc to the 2nd tier or the 3. tier 1 required waaay more voltage ( like more than .1v over original core voltage) and tier 2 required an additional .06v to get it stable from the 1.25v i had to 1.31v now. usually its cold booting no problem now but i still encountered one failed boot. computer lit up and spun fans but clicked off with nothing ever appearing on the monitor.

hey guys im back! lol so i finally just settled on a lower oc/lower voltage over the 4.7 i had before so i wouldnt have a pc shaped hairdryer in my room. currently running 4.5 @ 1.25v LLC on max, all cstates left on auto. runs prefect over the past few days playing games, general use and several benchmarks/stress tests. all good so far. normally i just let my computer sleep and no issues with it coming back to life. but if i try and cold boot from being shut down its failing to boot. sometimes it tries to post and then shuts off but usually powers up the hardware for a sec, spins the fans and then immediately shuts down. could cstates be doing this with them being on auto or could it possibly be the power draw limit settings? theres power draw settings for package 1&2 and platform 1&2. on auto right now. any ideas?

I have seen that problem before many times and it was a PSU. To test set your Bios to default, let the PC get cold then try to boot.

What make/model is your PSU? I am not remotely convinced that is it (works fine under load but not idle?), but, not sure we know what you have in the first place. ;)

Corsair hx850i 80+ platinum. Its brand new so I doubt its the problem but it is possible. It works fine once I'm in windows under load or idle.

- - - Updated - - -

I disabled all c states and eist last night and shut it down. Ill see when I get home from work how she boots.

Just got home and booted her up. So far so good. I think it was a combination of lower LLC/higher vcore and disabling c states and EIST that helped. If the problem persists I'll look into the PSU. Hopefully that isnt the problem, I paid decent money to get a nice tier 1-2 (depending which list you're looking at I guess) unit. I know they aren't invulnerable to issues but I would hope the cases are quite rare.

Yeah I'm thinking its ok too. I have had that same issue with an old thermaltake psu years ago that was doing the same thing but wouldn't fully boot no matter what settings were on. Ever since I never cheap out on power.

Back