• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800 GT ordered

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yazz88 said:
only fools pay over MSRP, paying MSRP over the internet is bad enough. im stiking with my $435 XT-PE from gateway.

When and if they actually deliver...

CircuitBreaker8 said:
I thought the X800Pro was better than the 6800GT?

Everything I have read recently points to a draw. The GT is better at OpenGL, while the x800 Pro is slightly faster at DX9. I made up my mind after looking at the OCing potential of the GT which should erase the Pro's slight lead in DX9. The Pro's dont seem to gain as much perfromance when OC'd, apparently because your only scaling up 12 pipes instead of the 16 in the GT. If I was going to run at stock speeds my decision would have been much harder.

yazz88 said:
only fools pay over MSRP, paying MSRP over the internet is bad enough. im stiking with my $435 XT-PE from gateway.

Its called supply and demand, plus I happen to be able to spend cash on a new toy once in a while, so whats it to you anyway?

Don't flame-bait.

donny_paycheck

Last edited by a moderator:
Dragonprince said:
Its called supply and demand, plus I happen to be able to spend cash on a new toy once in a while, so whats it to you anyway?

amen, if you got it use it

Last edited by a moderator:
Dragonprince said:
Everything I have read recently points to a draw. The GT is better at OpenGL, while the x800 Pro is slightly faster at DX9. I made up my mind after looking at the OCing potential of the GT which should erase the Pro's slight lead in DX9. The Pro's dont seem to gain as much perfromance when OC'd, apparently because your only scaling up 12 pipes instead of the 16 in the GT. If I was going to run at stock speeds my decision would have been much harder.

while I'm seeing your points...
who here is realy running out to buy CoD?
better yet, what new game will feature the Q3:TA engine?
I can't speak for most peeps, but untill we see some OpenGL 1.5 games (doom3 anyone?), we just don't have an idea what any IHV will do?

then we get to DX9.0 games...
the x800pro wins in most tests over the 6800u, never mind the 6800gt.
and we all know that in farcry, the cards were still tested with less PS2.0, and more PS1.1 then the ATI cards....
meaning that, if farcry will ever run at full PS2.0 on an nVidia card, the scores will dip more.

the x800pro was only 3-4fps less then the 6800u in UT2k4 durring most testing...
and the cat3.6 drivers seem to now make up that differance with a fame or two to spare (with my pro non-OCed).

halo is another game that the x800pro is behind the 6800u by about 2fps...
(please understand that I'm comparing the 61.11drivers for the 6800 cards...and we still don't know enough about what or how much, any possable
performance inhancement bugs are in that set. halo got a 5% boost as compared to the 60.72's)
the 6800gt is about 8fps behind the x800pro.
I'm wondering if missing images, and lower PS's are still being used for the nVidia cards?

there is always OCing of the cards...this is OC.com
yet I think you may want to speak to some of the boys that OCed the x800pro, before you say it doesn't help much.
the 6800gt needs to run at 6800u speeds to start to put presure on the stock x800pro...
once the x800pro is OCed, you can expect a 10%-15% performance increase in Farcry, MS FS2004, UT2k4, and 3dmark03.
not too shaby for a 3 quad chip.
(bobmanfoo, went from 9,900/stock to 11,200/OCed in 3dmark03...talk about your poor ocing results with the x800pro.)

the 6800gt needs to OC to the 6800u speeds to keep up...
and if you don't go past the 6800u speeds, how are you going to beat the OCed x800pro?

the 6800gt is a great card, but untill it comes out, and a non-benchmark driver is used, we just don't know how good or bad it realy is?

with newer drivers from both IHVs, we might see all cards get better...
but untill that time, all we can do is dream.

btw, I wish you luck with your new card

mica

Last edited:
I ordered the GT today for $450from BuyXG. Not bad considering I sold my 9800XT for $360+ I get to keep the guys MX440? with tv tuner. I guess its like the all in wonder from NV.

bobmanfoo said:
DAAAAYYYYYYAAAAMMMM

mine only goes to 1.16ghz :-/ lol, but im sure it could do more if it had the 6800u's power ;) i guess this is where the two molexes come into play

He was talking about the GT which only uses one molex.

micamica1217 said:
while I'm seeing your points...
who here is realy running out to buy CoD?
better yet, what new game will feature the Q3:TA engine?
I can't speak for most peeps, but untill we see some OpenGL 1.5 games (doom3 anyone?), we just don't have an idea what any IHV will do?

then we get to DX9.0 games...
the x800pro wins in most tests over the 6800u, never mind the 6800gt.
and we all know that in farcry, the cards were still tested with less PS2.0, and more PS1.1 then the ATI cards....
meaning that, if farcry will ever run at full PS2.0 on an nVidia card, the scores will dip more.

the x800pro was only 3-4fps less then the 6800u in UT2k4 durring most testing...
and the cat3.6 drivers seem to now make up that differance with a fame or two to spare (with my pro non-OCed).

halo is another game that the x800pro is behind the 6800u by about 2fps...
(please understand that I'm comparing the 61.11drivers for the 6800 cards...and we still don't know enough about what or how much, any possable
performance inhancement bugs are in that set. halo got a 5% boost as compared to the 60.72's)
the 6800gt is about 8fps behind the x800pro.
I'm wondering if missing images, and lower PS's are still being used for the nVidia cards?

there is always OCing of the cards...this is OC.com
yet I think you may want to speak to some of the boys that OCed the x800pro, before you say it doesn't help much.
the 6800gt needs to run at 6800u speeds to start to put presure on the stock x800pro...
once the x800pro is OCed, you can expect a 10%-15% performance increase in Farcry, MS FS2004, UT2k4, and 3dmark03.
not too shaby for a 3 quad chip.
(bobmanfoo, went from 9,900/stock to 11,200/OCed in 3dmark03...talk about your poor ocing results with the x800pro.)

the 6800gt needs to OC to the 6800u speeds to keep up...
and if you don't go past the 6800u speeds, how are you going to beat the OCed x800pro?

the 6800gt is a great card, but untill it comes out, and a non-benchmark driver is used, we just don't know how good or bad it realy is?

with newer drivers from both IHVs, we might see all cards get better...
but untill that time, all we can do is dream.

btw, I wish you luck with your new card

mica

I agree with a lot of your points mica. I am hoping to score OC's on the GT that rival or beat the Ultra, only time will tell. I plan on some intensive FarCry benches as soon as the card arrives, I may update one of the FarCry threads were I posted results with my 9800Pro just to make the differences apparent between the last generation and the new. Also Ive seen benches going back and forth between the GT and the Pro almost everywhere I looked, depending on what your playing. As far as the scaling issue, I will look to see if I can find the link to a review I read where they OC'd the GT and it showed significant gains against an OC'd X800 Pro. The Pro definetly gains from OCing but not on the same curve as the GT which appeared to benefit a lot more than the Pro. The simple answer here, for me anyway, is that if the GT turns out to be a "second best" card to the X800 Pro I will foist it off on the wife and go buy a Pro ;)

Dragonprince did you get a shipping date on your card? I am really hoping they have them in stock, as I have already sold my 9800XT and dont want to go extended time without a card for gaming.

Dragonprince said:
I agree with a lot of your points mica. I am hoping to score OC's on the GT that rival or beat the Ultra, only time will tell. I plan on some intensive FarCry benches as soon as the card arrives, I may update one of the FarCry threads were I posted results with my 9800Pro just to make the differences apparent between the last generation and the new. Also Ive seen benches going back and forth between the GT and the Pro almost everywhere I looked, depending on what your playing. As far as the scaling issue, I will look to see if I can find the link to a review I read where they OC'd the GT and it showed significant gains against an OC'd X800 Pro. The Pro definetly gains from OCing but not on the same curve as the GT which appeared to benefit a lot more than the Pro. The simple answer here, for me anyway, is that if the GT turns out to be a "second best" card to the X800 Pro I will foist it off on the wife and go buy a Pro ;)

I see no reason for the 6800gt not to have the same results of a 6800u, if you can OC to the 6800u speeds.

I also see no reason for you not to reach close to, if not full 6800u speeds.
good luck on your OC.

mica

I guess this is as good a place to ask as any. What's the difference between the 6800 GT and the Ultra?

donny_paycheck said:
I guess this is as good a place to ask as any. What's the difference between the 6800 GT and the Ultra?

different clock speeds, different memory, dual slot vs. single slot, two molex vs one molex

Yea, hoping that missing molex dosent hold back the overclocking. Hopefully if needed another molex can be added. Everyone made such a big deal about 2 molex connections when NV was just looking out for OC'ers

This is off topic, but I am looking at your rigs.
I have buffalo pc3200 512 right now, I was thinkin about getting a 512 stick of kingston hyperX pc4000, will these perform well together? My current mobo doesn't support dual channel, but games like farcry are hungry for that gig of memory. My other question is would a 6800 GT be held back with (only) 512 in ram?

My current system with a 9700pro is held back by the 512 of ram. I'm looking to get some corsair XL 2-2-2-5 from gavme.com it will slow down to a crawl when it has to access the virtual memory on the HD.

Back