• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800xt or 7600gs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Basically, the 7600GS has 4 more pixel processors but half of the memory bandwidth of the 6800XT.

So the advantage of the 7600GS will have a graphics processor that is more powerful than the 6800XT processor; however, the 6800XT will have the advantage of having over twice the memory bandwidth of the 7600GS.

Which one will perform better will likely depend upon what application. The 7600GS will probably be better with lots of the things which bottleneck the GPU, like high resolutions, AA's, and dx9 effects, where the 6800XT will be better at things that are graphics memory intensive, like lots of high resolution textures.

I think it really depends upon which 7600GS and 6800XT you are comparing, but I think the 256-bit 1000mhz memory outweighs the additional 50mhz and 4 pixel pipes on the 7600GS.

Last edited:
Please, please don't get any 7600GS with DDR2 memory, or any card with DDR2 memory. Please. And a 7600 GS with DDR3 memory is basically a GT (possibly also in price, so why not get a full GT if that's the case). Even a Galaxy 7300GT with 1.4 (AGP) or 1.2 (PCI-E; discrimination... evil; as if AGP can't hold it - they are just trying to kill the platform) ns memory chips and a Zalman cooler outperforms 7600GS.

I would advise against a series 6 card because the newer DirectX and games pop up, the more the newer series stand out. For example, in older games, my old 5900XT would own 6600 big time. But in new stuff, it would get outperformed by a measly Radeon 9550 (which I consider a thrice less powerful card). It's true that generation 6 still rules in games, but the same fate as that of my 5900XT will become their share soon, I think. ;) If you really want a 6800, I think you should get a GS or an Ultra. Ultra is more powerful, but GS is newer and probably contains newer components, like from series 7 cards as vendors boast. GT has more threads and streams and whatnot than GS, but GS scores more in 3DMark. All in all, I would probably go for a series 7 card anyway. I've just bought a 7600GT for $178 in my currency and I think I'm happy with it. I haven't had the time to play a newer game yet, but Warcraft III TFT seems to have improved a lot graphically, compared even to 5900XT on max in-game settings and max or close quality in the driver. ;) And we're talking about an old game not designed with that card in mind because it simply wasn't around yet. Maybe I'm seeing things though. ;) I still have to try NWN2. ;)

Depending on how much you want to spend on the card, I suggest taking a look at Radeon x1950pro - the strongest AGP card at the moment (16000 in 3DMark03 compared to 13000 for 7600GT, which is already more powerful than 7800GS, which is the "strongest" AGP one from nVidia unless there's something I don't know about - maybe the GS2 thing?). All in all, that card was able to break my preference for nVidia but I just didn't want to spend so much money it cost here (mine +66% and the difference in efficiency was +25%, while I was already overpaying compared to Galaxy 7300GT 1.4 ns Zalman edition for -32% cost and -22% efficiency, so... ;)).

And once again, DDR3 is your keyword.

Last edited:
Between the 7600GS and the 6800XT, the 6800XT would outperform the 7600GS in things that require fast graphics memory, the 7600GS would outperform in applications that require a more powerful GPU. In general they are simular; however, depending upon what type of application you use the most, you will get more out of one than the other.

The problem with each card is that they cost too much and they are not well rounded, each one is too weak in an area for the price.

I wouldn't recommend an AGP 7600GS because they cost loads more than the PCI-E version like the ones I got, which were only around 70$ each. I think the 7600GS would probably be better for future games because the GPU is more powerful, if you can handle running lower texture details. The 6800XT may let you run higher texture details but lower details that stress the gpu like lighting and shading.

Show us some more cards in your price range if any others fit, seriously-

Last edited:
What would you say about my Galaxy 7300GT DDR3 1.4 ns Zalman edition suggestion, brakezone? It's cheaper than 7600GS, around the price of 6800XT (at least here where I live), has great RAM, already includes a good cooller for some overclocking if needed, comes from Galaxy aka the reference stuff, outperforms 7600GS while also beating its price... I think it's the best thing in its range, but I've never seen anything run on it. I've only seen synthetic benchmarks, I think.

siggy for my for my scores i went from a 6600gt witch was 8 pipe card.. ddr3 to a 7600gs witch is a 12 pipe card.. with ddr2 so.. i say go for the newer tech. and you will be happy

Actually, After looking around perhaps you should get a 7300GT with around 500 core / 1400mhz ram... If you can find one for AGP.

If it is a 350 core / 1400mhz ram your probably better off with the 6800XT though. The only real impressive result I saw was a 7300GT with the core OCed to 640/1600. With that kind of overclock, yes it is definitely blowing ithe 7600GS away because the 7600GS barely will OC at all. On the other hand, if your core is not over 400, your weakness is the same problem as the 6800XT but with even less memory bandwidth.

If its around 500 core, your making up for 4 less pixel pipelines by having 25% more clock speed, and you have nearly twice the memory bandwidth of the 7600GS. The performance on that card will really scale well with a GPU overclock. I'm glad i got my cards cheap.

Last edited:
i have a 6800XT that is unlocked to 16/6 and runs at 420/800. I also have a 7800gs, both perform well, but the 7800 is a little bit better. you won't be dissapointed with a 6800XT.

Hipcrostino said:
i have a 6800XT that is unlocked to 16/6 and runs at 420/800. I also have a 7800gs, both perform well, but the 7800 is a little bit better. you won't be dissapointed with a 6800XT.

what core does your XT have? i always thought that the XT's would only unlock to 12,5 from 8,4

Brakezone, are you comparing 7300GT DDR3 with 7600GS DDR2 or DDR3? From what I've seen, the two versions of 7600GS are totally different cards. The DDR2 is like GS of GS of the DDR3 version, so to say. I have this useful link to a compare utility: http://www.gph.benchmark.pl/. It's in Polish, but a half of it is English jargon anyway, especially the top sections and the acronyms. Only expressions like "memory bandwidth" are translated, but we use the same units, so almost everything should be recognisable. It seems to me that 7300GT DDR3 vastly outperforms 7600GS DDR2, but capitulates before 7600GS DDR3. The difference between 7300GT and 7600GS DDR2 seems to like between 7600GT and 7600GS DDR3, which is several hundred 3DMarks, for all that synthetic benchmarks like this are worth. At any rate, perhaps mutual power ratios are more or less correct.

I'm only upgrading just a few things in the system. I'm not upgrading the mobo or cpu. I'm trying to stay around $100 for the video card if I can. From what it sounds like, both cards will work fine for what I need it for, which will only really be for games since he doesn't use the PC for anything else. And since the 6 series will be outdated sooner than later, it sounds like the 7600gs would be the better way to go.

Last edited:
I was comparing to the GS with DDR2

the stock core speed of the 7300GT varies as well as its overclockability. As a result it really depends upon which one you get for it to be better than a 7600GS ddr2. I dunno, I wish I woulda gotten 2 good 7300GT's instead of what I got but I guess it woudln't have been any cheaper and only would have yeileded at most 1000 3dmark05 points. The memory bandwidth on the 7600GS DDR sucks though. It does perform about near a 6800NU individually.

Actually, I think the stuff i got is cool but I would have been better off getting a non SLI board that could do over 500FSB and a 7900GS

Last edited:
Back