• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6gb ram installed, 4gb working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wait a minute, wait a minute....
ok, i ran cpu-z, which i haven't done since this first happened. it also said i had 4gb, after that i stopped looking at it. i don't know enough to really use it, so i didn't run it.

but looking at it now...

it says i have sticks in slots 1 and 5 (it should be slots 1, 2, 3, shouldn't it? the sticks are in a1 b1 c1)...

it says the jedec values for 533 mhz should be 7-7-7-16, with tRC of 27 (i don't even know how to find tRC in bios) my timings are 7-7-7-24, i didn't know that if the ram is underclocked those values should change...

and last but not least - twice this afternoon i've gone into bios to try putting ram at it's rated specs again, but as soon as i entered bios, the temp of the cpu totally spiked. it's 52c right now - both times i entered bios, by the time it loaded, the cpu was at 63c, and heating up a degree every few seconds. the second time, i was only in bios for less than a minute, and the cpu had already reached 69c
I AM SO TOTALLY CONFUSED.
have i made a big mistake letting bios set almost everything automatically? am i going to have to find out how to do it by hand, because i have no idea... can i just go and get the jedec spec for my ram somewhere? the noob is getting really burned here...

Last edited:
i hate to resurrect a dead post but i am having the same exact issue. I have a rampage II extreme with the same OCZ ram. I havent checked the aftermarket CPU heatsink yet. I have however tested every stick and every slot with memtest86+, now i'm in the process of doing the same with Prime95 because it seems to detect hardware errors. I'm pretty convinced the ram sticks are not the problem. It has to be a compatability issue between this ocz ram and the asus board. I'll let you know if i find any more info. Have you found a solution to this problem?

*update* found a fix to this problem. Seems the heatsink was not sitting evenly on the processor. Might wanna try that :p fixed my problem instantly :).

Back