• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7800GTX upgrade advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rblaha

Registered
I currently have a couple Asus 7800GTX cards and am thinking about an upgrade. With the upcoming DX10 I don't want to spend a ton upgrading a DX9 card so I'm thinking about a $250-300 budget. Is there anything I should be looking at that would give me a decent performance boost in this price range or am I whistling Dixie?

Current system specs:
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD 4400+
2 GB Corsair 3500LLPro
2 7800GTX
2 - WD 74Mb Raptor
SB X-Fi Fatal1ty

Thanks

I am in the same place you are my friend....2x 7800 GTX that are fast becoming less desireable....my 3DMark06 score keeps getting punted down the list by folks with these darn 8800's ....I am waiting for the R600 to see what that does to the price levels:beer:

rblaha said:
I currently have a couple Asus 7800GTX cards and am thinking about an upgrade. With the upcoming DX10 I don't want to spend a ton upgrading a DX9 card so I'm thinking about a $250-300 budget. Is there anything I should be looking at that would give me a decent performance boost in this price range or am I whistling Dixie?

Current system specs:
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD 4400+
2 GB Corsair 3500LLPro
2 7800GTX
2 - WD 74Mb Raptor
SB X-Fi Fatal1ty

Thanks

256 or 512 MB cards???

Either way in an SLI there is really no need to upgrade for some time. It will be a good 18 months before Vista and DX10 will be a must have (and DX10 is the only reason Vista is needed at all). All games in the forseeable future (18-24 months) even if they are DX10 will fall back to DX9 (or possibly OGL) cause if they didn't it would be commiting lack of market suicide.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
Can I have some of what you are smoking lol!

Viper

I was barely able to hit over 9k on a 7800gtx and on a x1900xt I hit 14k on AIR !!
I guess you havnt smoked much latley cuz your grumpy so go back to your modding table.

Most people on air are mustering maybe 15k in 05 with 2x7800gtx I would take a x1900 over them anyday, not matter what radeon god says :rolleyes:

Rattle said:
I was barely able to hit over 9k on a 7800gtx and on a x1900xt I hit 14k on AIR !!
I guess you havnt smoked much latley cuz your grumpy so go back to your modding table.

Most people on air are mustering maybe 15k in 05 with 2x7800gtx I would take a x1900 over them anyday, not matter what radeon god says :rolleyes:
That was one 7800 he has 2 in sli

ahh well there we go I thought he was talking about SINGLE 7800gtx not SLI, my bad

no there's really nothing to go to then unless 8800 is a consideration.

Still viper needs some valium or something.

Rattle said:

OH man ya got me ROTFLMAO with that "grumpy" comment lol!!!

If you go by 3DM05 then yes ATI had a real edge...as in the drivers were optimised to the "in'th" degree for 3DM05 score lol. In everything else it was a different story.

As far as SLI or CF scores most people do not have nearly enough system speed to make them work or scale anywhere close to what they should. Simply put if you are running an AMD X2 rig ya don't have the horsepower to make an SLI of CF setup sing. Croak like frog maybe but definately not sing.

Viper

yeah you got a good point, but I think the advantage was more than in 05, it was across all games except OGL of course, not to mention the IQ IS UNMATCHED as you yourself admit.

Rattle said:
yeah you got a good point, but I think the advantage was more than in 05, it was across all games except OGL of course, not to mention the IQ IS UNMATCHED as you yourself admit.

It wasn't here. A stock OC'ed 7800-512 was faster than an stock OC'ed x1900XTX in everything except 3DM05 here with an FX60/NF4. We are not talking much in most cases and I would call the cards equal. 7900GTX's were another matter entirely.

ATI's IQ was unmatched. The 8800's are down right beautiful and equal to ATI now in IQ. When I first fired up the 8800GTX in the benchmarks I had to take a double take and make sure the PCB on the card wasn't red lol. It's about time to. NV's IQ has been downright pathetic for a long e time, even with the drivers kicked up to high quality, unless you cranked up the AA and AF. Even then ATI looked better till now.

Viper

rblaha said:

Current system specs:
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD 4400+
2 GB Corsair 3500LLPro
2 7800GTX
2 - WD 74Mb Raptor
SB X-Fi Fatal1ty

Thanks

Forgot to say .......:welcome: to the forums!!! Glad u are here :beer:

I forgot to mention in the original post, the 7800GTX is 256 and, I'm really not taking advantage of the SLI capabilities. All I run on this machine anymore is Flight Simulator 9 so it's only running on one card anyway.

Basically what I'm after is a relatively short term, inexpensive way to kick up the graphic performance specifically for Flight Simulator 9. By the time FSX, Vista and DX10 are ready for prime time, I'll likely have built a new machine or will deal with it then.

Does that shed a different light on my original question? Thanks again for the replies.

Back