• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7970 CF OR 770 sLi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jpaul

Registered
i m making a new rig.
looking to watercool
so 2x gpu looks better

i want some opinion on which is better
7970 cfx or 770sli

anyhelp?

2 GPU looks better? That's the wrong reason to get two GPUs :p.

What monitor setup are you running. If you really want to spend that much on GPUs you should probably get one 780.

Gaming or Compute?

and yes, what resolution monitor?

general rule. > 2560 res, AMD better.
gaming. Nvidia drivers better.
computing, bitcoin mining. AMD better.
SLI > CrossfireX

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_7870_Devil/26.html

here you can see how single card of 770 vs 7970Ghz compares.
basically, on average on gaming. 770 beats the crap out of 7970Ghz until it comes to 2560 res +
and Nvidia SLI is MILES ahead of CFX, due to a situation known as Microstutter, that AMD has just recently begin to patch.

so if you are thinking about Gaming. GTX 770 SLI all the way.

the only reason to get a 7970 Ghz here, will just be for bitcoining.
But note, on extreme overclocking, 7970Ghz can probably overclock better.
but gamers don't like "too much" Overclocking, as it promotes instability when long hours of game play introduced.
and when mild OC considered, but 770 and 7970 can get about the same boost, which means 770 still better.

depending where you getting the card, each will cost between $400-$450. so cost is roughly the same.

Last edited:
The 7970 OCs way better than the 770, NVIDIAs voltage limits prevent you from OCing very far on their cards nowadays. Though I guess I would agree with you about mild OCing but would add that if you overclock both cards as far as they would go, the difference would be much smaller 7970 (non GHz, I see no reason to pay more for a nearly identical card with a different BIOS, and voltage unblocked) is around $70-90 cheaper.

How I see it though, at this budget price isn't a huge concern.

1080P - single 770 is fine
1440P or triple - a single 780 is fine.

Multiple cards are always less efficient and more prone to issues than single cards are. If you can get acceptable performance out of a single card, even if the raw horsepower is less, then I would go for it. Plus it leaves him the option of SLI later down the road...two cards right away doesn't leave him an easy upgrade option like that.

If I may ask a question to the OP: what is the video card budget?

Have seen 7970 as low as ~ 300ish. Six hundred.

Two 760 (Nvidia) about $500. Would be great for gaming.

However the general rule is buy the Single best card for the resolution you will be gaming at.

Hope this helps.

I get the "it looks better" thing to an extent, but if you just want it for looks inside your case, get 2 lower-end cards... Spending $700+ on looks is asinine.

If you want it for gaming performance, to an extent it depends on the resolution because either of those combos will play any game out there at max settings at almost any resolution, so you wouldn't notice a difference between the two combos. Are you planning on doing multi-monitor?

Monitor setup is really needed in order to make a proper recommendation.
Also do you care about the budget? price/performance? upgrade often? looking to future proof?

Way too many unknown factors here to make an informed recommendation on potentially $800 worth of GFX cards.

looking for a 2-3 monitor set up.
looks and performancce.
budget under $1000 USD for gpu.
can add more if worh it.
price seems like small issue comparng to other cooling parts

Oh, simple then.

got for 770 SLI or 760 SLI then.

AMD CrossFire has issues. they have just begin to patch it, but it still doesn't work for eyefinity or direct 9 games, which still makes crossfire kinda worthless.

Jpaul
Take a look through this review
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_770_sli_review,22.html
While a single 770 is faster than a 7970ghz stock, you can see at this resolution the SLI 770s are slower than a 7990(xfire 7970ghz). One can assume they are slamming against their 2gb vRAM limitation.
So you'll need more than 2gb vRam. (Guru3d also recommends this in their review)

7970s start at 300 ea. (you can even find ghz editions for 330)
4gb 770s start at 450ea.

Currently AMD has framepacing issues with xFire.
These issues can create an effect called microstutter in some cases, which visually is quite annoying (makes it look like your fps dips below 30fps for a quick second).
What is not known is why some users are prone to this effect and others are not.
Driver issues, hardware problems, user error, the individuals sensitivity to small visual changes all could be to blame.
AMD has already patched framepacing on single monitor, dx10 and dx11 with dx9, openGL and eyefinity coming later.
All this driver does is manage frame latency(the time it takes between frames rendered by each card) in order to limit the potential of microstutter.
To say these drivers "fix" microstutter would imply microstutter was prevalent in every crossfire setup, which is not the case.

So, in summary...
xfire 7970 works, but at your resolution is still currently susceptible to microstutter.
SLI 770s will be slightly faster and SLI does not currently have any microstutter problems at any resolution.

Both setups have their pros and cons, up to you.

Price seems like a small issue if you like wasting money. I'd still get a single 780.
This or two 7950's or better. You want the extra bandwidth and vram the 780 and 7950/7970 offers for triple monitor. 760 and 770 SLI have the horsepower, but are lacking in vram and bandwidth for 3x monitors. BUT since AMD still hasnt fixed their microstutter issue on multiple monitors, Single 780 is about all you can do.

If what the OP wants is a bad idea, are you still going to recommend it for him? It's like (not as bad) the people who insist on using dye in watercooling loops. The best decision isn't necessarily what they want, but we're not going to recommend something less than the best just because they want it.

It is more powerful, agreed. 780 is 15-20% more powerful than a 770, SLI 770 clearly had more raw power. But multiple card setups are always less efficient (more heat and power consumption), more finicky, less consistent, and more prone to issues in general compared to single card setups. SLI should be saved as a future upgrade option, not something to do straight off the bat.

Plus, with a single 780, he has the option to add another in SLI a few years down the road as an easy upgrade option. With two 770s, he's just stuck with them as triple SLI is pretty much never a good idea.

Best single card you can afford is usually the best way to go.

Last edited:
i m making a new rig.
looking to watercool
so 2x gpu looks better

i want some opinion on which is better
7970 cfx or 770sli

anyhelp?

hahahahah, I can TOTALLY relate to that. I started with just a GTX 680, then I was like... you know.. looks empty.. added another. XD

ok ok, on to your questions. 770SLI > 7970CFX
hope that helps! :)

Sorry but I have to toally disagree with all the 770 recommendations. A 7970 ge with boost from sapphire is 270 after rebate with 100 dollars in free games on newegg. I just purchased a second.

I was really wanting to go NVidia since my last NVidia card was a 5900. Although my laptop is NVidia.

The 7970 ge is within 2perc of the 770 in most benchmarks. Comes with more vram stock. And mine both clock to 1250mhz easy on the core (althought they're both water cooled).

Crossfire frame pacing issues have been addressed with the first and second beta releases of catalyst 13.8. Don't get me wrong it's not totally fixed. But this shows this is probably going to be continued going forward. Who plays direct x9 games anymore? And if a game is DX9 chances are a single 7970 is overkill. The only modern title I can think of that this might apply to is civ 5. Don't get me wrong im sure theres some, but that wouldn't be my concern.

The performance of two 7970s is on par with the 770s, have more ram, and are cheaper, and come with free games. Not to mention for a cheaper price than a 680 you will outperform all the single card NVidia options.

Add in the fact that all the next gen consoles are running AMD hardware, amd game optimization will be very prominent.

Last edited:
Part of the reason a lot said 770s is because the frame pacing issue is NOT fixed at the moment multi monitor wise and that is what this person is using. It may be fixed in a week, month, or few. Nobody knows. But if you want something to work as it should out of the box for this person, the 770s are the way to go imo.

Back