• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800 series not up to pci-e specs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Drinkyoghurt said:
i just found an article(in dutch) that says the 8800 series wherent actually made to the pci-e specs..it says that besides driver problems it cannot function well in 8x slots and doesnt fully support dx10 or something like that

link:

http://tweakers.net/nieuws/45745/Nvidia-GeForce-8800-voldoet-niet-aan-pci-e-specificatie.html

Grossly overstated lol.

The 8800's run fine in DFI 8 lane PCIe slot. I have heard there are some MB's makes that
have issues but that is more likely related to single timing issues of the PCIe slot(s) in that
particular MB when the 8 lane bandwidth is running on the ragged edge of saturation with
an 8800GTX.

Viper

tyler_bishop said:
Hey Viper want to mod my 8800GTS? Pm me if you think your up to the challenge.
So far Ive done 640/1000 with it.

Pressin 3dmark 06 into 11,000 Points! :)

What challenge lol??? Send an email [email protected] and we can talk Prime Rib. Be sure to specify the GPU cooling type wanted.

Viper

I have read in several articles that it needs the 16X slot. With my DFI board I would love to throw it in the second 8X slot. The top 16X slot on those boards completely blocks the chipset fan, and I get temps in the 60s where as before I was getting temps in the 40s.

tranceaddict said:
I have read in several articles that it needs the 16X slot. With my DFI board I would love to throw it in the second 8X slot. The top 16X slot on those boards completely blocks the chipset fan, and I get temps in the 60s where as before I was getting temps in the 40s.

I ran the 8800GTX in my DFI NF4 single card with the slots configured at lane and I know it
works fine. There was virtually no difference in the BM scores between 8 lane and 16 lane
configs with a 300 x 10 FX60. I am pretty sure I ran the card in the lower slot single card
at 8 lanes too. They SLI'ed just fine in the NF4 but scaled like total crap with enough
system speed to support the pair.

Viper

tranceaddict said:

I'm running 2 8800GTS cards right now in a DFI Expert. Not noticing any problems yet, other than I can't overclock quite as high as I would like. I'm hoping that when I get the EK waterblocks I can get a better overclock, and not block the airflow in my case as much.

Drinkyoghurt said:
it says that besides driver problems it cannot function well in 8x slots and doesnt fully support dx10 or something like that
I certainly hope this isn't true....I plan on buying one around February unless the ATI offering is out by then at a decent price and can outperform it....

tranceaddict said:
Hey torin3:

Is the 8X PCI-E slot restricting your OCs, or just the heat from having 2 cards so close together?

I don't think it is the slot. I'm maxing out about the same settings as I was when I had the second card in by itself in the 16X slot. Swapping it to the 8X slot might give me a little extra, but I'm not sure. I'm hoping that the water cooling will give me some extra. If not, I may get another one and sell this one. (Who am I kidding...I need to get a larger monitor, and it is playing Oblivion like silk!!!)

Ok, I'm up too late, on cold meds and playing Oblivion and checking back here because I'm too wired up to sleep yet. :bang head :bang head

Well, I had to clean my rig so I figured that I will swap the SLI jumpers on my DFI Ultra D while I'm at it and put the card in PCI-E slot 2 with 8X. The card booted up fine, and then I took it for an hour of FEAR just to make sure it was stable. So far so good, no difference between 8X or 16X.

BTW, with the card in slot one (near CPU) after an hour of FEAR my high temps were as follows: CPU 50C, PWMIC 55C, NF4 Chipset 58C, GPU 79C.

With the card in slot two after an hour of FEAR with the same ambient, my high temps were as follows:CPU 46C, PWMIC 49C, NF4 Chipset 51C, GPU 79C.

Thanks for the tip guys.

tranceaddict said:
Well, I had to clean my rig so I figured that I will swap the SLI jumpers on my DFI Ultra D while I'm at it and put the card in PCI-E slot 2 with 8X. The card booted up fine, and then I took it for an hour of FEAR just to make sure it was stable. So far so good, no difference between 8X or 16X.

Well, it looks like that rumor got shot down as far as needing the 16X slot. :beer:

Does anyone know the differences between PCI express x4 slot other than speed & X16 as i would like to get 8800 series card .
I realize the card if it works will not run at full speed upgrade to system intended in near future just not at this time.

Thanks for any info.:bang head

According to the Mobo manual the PCI express slot physically accepts a X16 card but it only runs at x4 speed.
Cheap Asrock board hence the question as stated upgrade intended just not able to do so at this time

Lexxx said:
Does anyone know the differences between PCI express x4 slot other than speed & X16 as i would like to get 8800 series card .
I realize the card if it works will not run at full speed upgrade to system intended in near future just not at this time.

Thanks for any info.:bang head

If it is a 16x size slot then normally yes. 1x, 2x ,4x, 8x, 16x actually refers to the lenght of the slot mechanically and the maximum number of PCIe lanes the slot can be wired to use. A given "X" size PCIe slot can be configured (wired) to use from 1 up to it's "X" size in PCIe lanes electrically.

All video cards require a 16x PCIe slot to fit mechanically. An 8800 in a 16x size slot that was running only 4 PCIe lanes electrically would no doubt suffer a speed loss from a lack of PCIe bandwidth.

Viper

Back