• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8GB on Samsung Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EGAJohn

Registered
I have a Samsung laptop with a intel i3 2.4ghz dual core processor, intel hd 3000 graphics, 4gb samsung ram, and 440gb hard drive. I been trying to run higher games for my laptop like Gotham City Imposters and Arma 2 and for GCI i only get about 15-20 fps and on Arma 2 i only get about 15-19. I was wondering if i would get a performance increase if i upgraded to 8gb ram? When i run % on my component usage my processor shows 50% of what my ram usually shows and i was wondering if im not showing my full potential with only 4gb. Is it worth upgrading? Im saving up for a water cooled pc but i need something to hold me over in the meantime.

No, your RAM won't make any noticeable difference. Your bottle neck is your GPU (or lack there of), and then your CPU.

Adding RAM won't help gaming, HD 3000 graphics is limiting.
I do not believe the i3 2.4, if it is the 2350m is holding back in this case.
I do not game on my Samsung, for work, emails, and surfing.
Mine came with 6 GB and I "upgraded" to 8 GB (RAM was cheaper then, and easy remove 2 gb, replace with 4 GB). 4+4=8
My feeling is the laptop is snappier for regular use. Possibly having more memory to share with graphics helps, or benefits hyperthreading.
Again, not going to help gaming.

Thats another question. My intel hd 3000 says it has total system shared 1664mb of memory and only 32mb dedicated. How would i use more ram towards my gpu? If i installed another 4gb would that put more towards the gpu?

Back