• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8RDA (no +) and keyboard probs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma422

I'm building a new AMD system and I am running into problems with my 8RDA motherboard. Every once in a while the keyboard would stop responding when I'm in the BIOS and would completely stop responding when I get to the "Press any key to boot from CD..." prompt. I disabled USB Keyboard support and tried to see what changing MPS to 1.1 as oppsoed to 1.4 would do and the same problem. I've tried a different keyboard as well and still the same problem. I'm hoping it's not the board because, even though purchased from Newegg, I hate having to RMA it back (hate the wait). Is there anything I overlooked? Has anybody had this problem before? Did a search and came up with no search results. Searched "8rda keyboard" so please don't tell me to do a search.

System specs:
Epox 8RDA (no +)
AMD AthlonXP 1800+ (Default settings/not OCed)
512MB Crucial PC2700 memory @ PC2700 standard settings
Generic 52X CD-ROM
Lite-On 52X CD-RW
Zip 250
Maxtor 40GB HD

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Just updated to the lastest BIOS and set the BIOS to halt on all errors. Well just when it got through the POST it gave me an error: "Keyboard is locked out - Unlock the key"

I never seen this kind of error before, anybody know what key I need to press to unlock the keyboard?

Last edited:
Just got to finish building the AMD system with the new board. I RMAed the last board, and to my surprise the same problem occured again. Updated to the latest BIOS and everything, but when I have two drives on the secondary IDE port the PS2 keyboard refused to work after POST. Went out and got a USB keyboard and everything worked fine, but have to now plug in the PS2 keyboard to work in the BIOS. This is with USB Keyboard set to enabled in the BIOS. Judging from the lack of responsed from the frist time I posted this it seems not to be a common problem, but I'm sure somebody out there had a similar problem. Anybody???

Keyboard issues are a known glitch, and can occur with either PS2 or USB versions. I have experienced this glitch. When I was first setting mine up installing my Toshiba DVD drive would cause the keyboard to not be detected. Unhooking the drive would bring the keyboard back. Weird and frustrating. Took me a couple days as at first I just coundnt figure out why I kept losing the keyboard. Did a search on another forum and found quite a few posts with same issue, but no solutions outside RMA. (preferably another brand) These boards just dont like certain brands optical drives it appears. Curiously no probs at all with my cdrw.

In my case I did find a workaround the worked. I installed my DVD onto an old PCI Promise IDE controller I had. Once I got it off the mb ide channels all was fine.

Its a common enough problem. I've got a recent version board too so problem not fixed yet. Odd that a modern chipset/mb would have such issues with keyboards :rolleyes:

Back