• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8th Gen i7 Build thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trekky

So my brother is putting a PC together, we already have the OS, HDD for storage, Case and a 7970 3gb, which we will replace the GPU when the next gen Nivdia comes out (hoping the price shoot down)

CPU
Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard
Asus - TUF Z370 Plus Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage
Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Power Supply
Corsair - TXM Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/trekky101/saved/FVBqkL

This is what i am planning for him, he is purely using it for gaming, He wants the i7 so dont bother, i feel it is best to get the largest sticks of ram possible so 16gb sticks

the case should fit the H100 v2. I know 8th gen is out of stock, but planning on maybe black Friday, but may just get when it comes back. OC goals are whatever we can push . I hear 4.9ghz is about average for some

any thoughts to improve the build?

Thx

Looks appropriate to me. But if he is using it purely for gaming, as you say, he will receive no benefit from 32 gb of RAM. 16 gb is more than enough. Could save a few bucks there to apply to the video card.

What actual case you using?

Any specific reason going 32GB of ram? Just for hell of it? Doesn't have to be a good reason, I only did because 4 RGB lights look nicer than 2. As far as gaming though not all that useful. I also run some VM's now and then where it comes in handy. Might consider 2x8GB of CAS14 for tighter timings or higher speed. Faster speeds don't give as much performance boost on Intel platform but no one ever said I wish my ram was slower.

Could get a much nicer psu for $10 more.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151188

Otherwise looks good.

He plans on keeping for a long time and does not want to upgrade ram later, the extra cost is not that huge so it does not matter to him. he has his eye on the 1080ti (over kill i know) but we are hoping for 1180 (or 2080) comes out soonish to help the prices on the GPUs and to get a even faster GPU.

Case wish, i cannt remember what it is. i know the H100 has a hard time fitting in some cases, so we are checking before we buy it.

Last edited:
Id rather have 16gb of ram, sell that 7970 and put the money together for a better gpu...

Volta wont be out until next year...he has a lengthy wait.

Spend now for a 1070/1080...

Psu is servicable...nkt more than that. Id rather snag a 650w evga g2 or g3 than a tx...no need for more than that with a single gpu and overclocking.

MUST........ LET......... my OCD............NOT.............TAKE.............OVER.........................................................................GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH...I cant help it!

2K monitor = 2048x1080. 2560x1440 or (W)QHD. I don't care what newegg or anyone else calls it. :p

1280px-Vector_Video_Standards8.svg.png

Currently he is using a 1080p monitor, i know he doesn't need the 1080ti but its his money and if he wants it, it is hard to talk him out of it.

Also EarthDog lolz

also you think 650w evga would be enough for this system?

Yep. Perfect for any single gpu and ambient overclocking. :)

I think 650w g2/g3 are under 100...

E_D, better known as the resolution evangelist! :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. Perfect for any single gpu and ambient overclocking. :)

I think 650w g2/g3 are under 100...

More than enough!

With everything overclocked to the moon, the system will draw a max of 550W (with sh1tload of fans and LED's, mwuahaha!!!).

Last edited:
He can get away with the H80i V2...it's a thick 120 mm radiator.

I run this on my 5820 K (with push/pull fans) and it cools it quite well. In fact, the single 120 mm thick radiator AIO cools my CPU as good as the 280 mm Corsair AIO did (with push/pull fans).

More than enough!

With everything overclocked to the moon, the system will draw a max of 550W (with sh1tload of fans and LED's, mwuahaha!!!).

Agree'd on the PSU... don't need to go super overkill with it but as mentioned the EVGA G2 or G3 models are rated really good! If spending the money get them, heck I got one myself last year. Went a little overkill up to a 750W PSU but even after capacitors degrade over the years it will last me a long time like my PSU before it which still runs very comfortably. Though I got mine on sale and it was cheaper than the 650W because it had a rebate :D

As for GPU, yeah I played the waiting game for years before finally deciding to bite the bullet and upgrade. Went for the big guns 1080ti and called it a day as it should last me a decent amount of time before I really have to consider upgrading again.

So my brother is putting a PC together, we already have the OS, HDD for storage, Case and a 7970 3gb, which we will replace the GPU when the next gen Nivdia comes out (hoping the price shoot down)

CPU
Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard
Asus - TUF Z370 Plus Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage
Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Power Supply
Corsair - TXM Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/trekky101/saved/FVBqkL

This is what i am planning for him, he is purely using it for gaming, He wants the i7 so dont bother, i feel it is best to get the largest sticks of ram possible so 16gb sticks

the case should fit the H100 v2. I know 8th gen is out of stock, but planning on maybe black Friday, but may just get when it comes back. OC goals are whatever we can push . I hear 4.9ghz is about average for some

any thoughts to improve the build?

Thx

the corsairs are rather expensive imo for their quality, I recently upgraded to a enermax liqmax 2, they are rated very high and their standard fans are sufficient. Friend of mine has the corsair H100 V2 but had problems with its cooling capacity and the noise (he has a Inwin 805) and wasn't able to OC properly so he replaced them with ML-140 fans in order to solve the problem, I use the Liqmax 2 240 with stock fans and have no problems at all with cooling (idle temperatures are about 5 degrees above ambient in silent mode)

a 1080TI is really meant for 4k gaming currently so if he wants to he should utilize the TI otherwise its a waste of money and he should buy a volta instead when its released (2080?). My 1080 runs everything at very high/ultra currently in 4k.

He can get away with the H80i V2...it's a thick 120 mm radiator.

I run this on my 5820 K (with push/pull fans) and it cools it quite well. In fact, the single 120 mm thick radiator AIO cools my CPU as good as the 280 mm Corsair AIO did (with push/pull fans).

you need the room for that aswell in a case (100 mm of space is almost just as much as a air cooler). prefably get a 280 mm or 240 depending on your case, going single 120mm aio won't cut any OC and air cooler is cheaper/better in those cases.

Back