• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

950 Pro M.2 review via Ars Technica

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can the Sabertooth boot to PCIe?

Glad to see this starting to hit the market, it looks like a great NVMe drive.

Nice drives but I wish to see them in smaller format. My MSI board is not supporting M.2 2280 and all fast drives are only that size. Only for benching it's too expensive and I'm fine with Crucial MX200.

I also can't get why PCMark8 storage tests are barely showing any improvements on NVMe comparing to SATA. I was testing other drives and is exactly the same.

All these results are great but average or even more demanding users will barely see any difference. All are showing really high IOPS etc. but these values count more in servers, not at home. I guess that SSD manufacturers just need something to convince potential customers.

Nice drives but I wish to see them in smaller format. My MSI board is not supporting M.2 2280 and all fast drives are only that size.

Would a PCI-E M.2 conversion card work in your situation?

I am still flummoxed, cos I cannot find information on if my S.T.r2 can boot to PCI-E.

Wondering if I am going to have to pull the trigger on a low end M.2 w/ converter and find out on my own.

Also, how new is NVMe again? At least it isn't catching fire or exploding like early NASA rockets.

Would a PCI-E M.2 conversion card work in your situation?

I am still flummoxed, cos I cannot find information on if my S.T.r2 can boot to PCI-E.

Wondering if I am going to have to pull the trigger on a low end M.2 w/ converter and find out on my own.

Also, how new is NVMe again? At least it isn't catching fire or exploding like early NASA rockets.

It's ITX, he can't use one with a GPU in the system.

Google says...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVM_Express

Ah yeah, forgot about googleMagic for a second...its funny, you just got on me about that, after I did same thing to someone else.....Karma the gift that keeps on giving.

Didn't realize he was on ITX.

Also, could the lack of performance gains in PCmark8 be due to the bench not fully supporting that standard in some way or another? Or some other configuration in testing systems?

Oooo, it just got DARK, and quite fast outside.

I like.

Ah yeah, forgot about googleMagic for a second...its funny, you just got on me about that, after I did same thing to someone else.....Karma the gift that keeps on giving.

Didn't realize he was on ITX.

Also, could the lack of performance gains in PCmark8 be due to the bench not fully supporting that standard in some way or another? Or some other configuration in testing systems?

Oooo, it just got DARK, and quite fast outside.

I like.

Don't recall that at all...

Yep, he had mentioned it in a thread, but it may have been in the benching section.

Back