• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

950 Pro with PCIe adapter - boot drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toran0x

Hi all - Like some others, I had to order a PCIe to M.2 adapter for my Samsung 950 Pro NVMe in order to get full rated speeds. Didn't realize that my Gigabyte X99-Gaming 5p only provides x1/x2 in the M2. slot instead of x4. Frustrating. Anyway, I'm now using that drive as my boot drive and will be moving it to the PCIe adapter card tomorrow night. Should I be able to move it over without a problem booting?

I didn't see anything in the BIOS to turn on or off PCIe boot support, so I'm assuming it's native. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5281#ov

Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful!

I don't think you will have any issues. The drive will identify itself on the pci bus.

Side note for those reading this looking for help on getting full speeds with a PCIe adapter - make sure your PCIe setting (at least for Gigabyte boards) is set to Gen3 (not Auto). If you set to Auto, you may not get full rated speeds.

What speed did you have on AUTO and did it switch on it's own sometimes?

Samsung Magician was showing full bandwidth available, but when I ran tests, they were only showing 1/3 full bandwidth. That's why I looked.

Back