• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A dilemma with memory 2g or 3gb etc.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

karhuna

Hi quick question..

I currently have an overclocked e6300 running at 1:1 fsb 333 (so ram speed is 667 mhz). Mobo is Abit ab9, supports 800 mhz ddr2 ram.

My memory is supertalent 2x512 mb (4-4-4-12) 667 mhz.

I really need more memory for multitasking photoshop, indesign, web etc.

SHOULD I DO THE FOLLOWING:

- buy simply a new ddr2-800 2x 1gb, and ditch the old pair of 512 mb chips?

- buy 2 x 1gb ddr 667, so I have 3gb of memory (I hear some rumours that overclocking can be harmed by 3gb of memory ? Is this true?)

- buy 2 x 1gb ddr 800, and run it a bit slower, ie. 667 ?

The difficulty for me is to choose from ddr2-667 or ddr2-800 modules, because there really is no big price difference

Opinions accepted gladly !!!

3GB is only going to hurt your performance if you have 3 1GB sticks...one stick isn't running dual-channel.

Personally, I'd get 2x1GB DDR2-800, and OC that e6300 higher. You could even see if those 667 sticks you have can go any faster. If the 667 sticks can't keep up then take them out and save them for a rainy day. If you find your using more than 2GB b/c of the kind of work you do then put the full 3GB in, and just run everything as fast as those 667 sticks will let you.

I would get a pair of 800MHz and try to run them together with the old ones, if it doesnt work out then ebay the 512MB sticks and settle for 2x1GB.

Just go ahead and grab some 800MHZ .

I mixed Super Talent 667 with 800 awhile back (2X1gig 667/CAS5 with 2X1gig 800/CAS4) and ran things at 800/CAS4 speed , and never had any problems . I eventually went and got matching 800/CAS4 pairs (4X1gig) only because the price went further down to a crazy low ; and sold the 667 on ebay .

As far as overclocking ... the more sticks you use/install the harder the overclock , but for the small benifit in mem overclocking (1-4%) its nothing compared to the benifit of having more system memory (10/15-25%) . Cas4 mem would be an added plus .

Just grab the 2X1gig 800mhz stuff , and also try to get the CAS4 if $$$ allows . I'd suggest Ewiz for the purchase of Super Talent , as they lowered prices AGAIN on the 800mhz CAS5 and CAS4 ; with Ewiz usually always having great (and the lowest) prices on Super Talent memory .

Btw , myself having 4X1gig/800 sticks installed , I can still overclock my mem well above 900+/CAS4 2.1v . I have hit 965/CAS4 but it was not 100% stable (2.2v). Never tried overclocking it in CAS5 , but I dont care to .

(I almost forgot) .... :welcome: to the forums !!!!! :beer:

Last edited:
Another vote for 2 x1gb here. You can get some pretty badass overclocking sticks and have great latencies and bandwidth. None of those activities you mentioned use an excess amount of memory really (unless you're doing insane 5000 dpi resolutions in photoshop or something), so 2gb would be fine.

thanks people

My mind is clearer now !
- Why google the net for hours in vain, when you can just ask :beer:

Back