• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A representative from New York to propose legal ban against bandwidth caps!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i don't have any sources to back this up (if someone does, please post up) but i believe that the more dense the population, the less expensive it is the build the infrastructure. for example, it is less expensive to give everyone in japan high speed internet than it is the united states due to the massive size of the united states compared to japan. i would imagine a good deal of the cost of giving everyone in the US high speed internet would be just getting it to the small towns, especially in some of the less densely populated states out in the mid-west/west

I don't support bandwidth caps at all. Speed caps yes. They can regulate things through speed, like they do now. There should be no GB or TB or MB or KB or any limit on the total upload or download. However If my speed is 5 mb/s then I do have a max monthly limit, based on 60 seconds/minute * 60 minutes/hour * 24 hour/day * 30 day / month * 5 mb/s= 12960000 mb per month. That is my cap. The ISPs can regulate things based on the speed we pay for. I understand from the business point of view bandwidth caps of even 250 GB, which isn't a problem for any legit user now, but in 10 years, those caps will prove to be too small. I'd rather stop the caps now before they become an issue for even legit users like us.

I live in a city that is going to be affected by this. I am sure the only reason they decided here would be a good place to start is because there is a city sanctioned monopoly so that no FIOS provider can operate here and that the only dsl provider had previously stated they too will be imposing caps. I contacted the dsl provider recently and they have changed their tune and now insist they will not be providing caps. I see are large boost in dsl subscriptions in the near future here.

I've always been torn on this subject. From a moral standpoint, I don't like it (if someone pays for a service, they should be able to use that service when they want). But it makes sense from a logical standpoint (with the rare exception, your average family is not going to hit a 250gb per month cap, and if they are they are it's degrading service for their neighbors). But wasn't one company making a cap outrageously small, like 10gb a month or something?

The government should have no say in the way an ISP is allocating or charging for an ISP. You pay for a service they sell.....it's there company. You're not really entitled to anything not in your contract, nor are they obligated to provide internet at an affordable price...

Except when it's a monopoly. Like Time Warner.

Then someone does needs to do something against that greedy behavior. They're making more money then ever, without bandwidth caps and yet still want to do them.

Pretty sure the 'backing down' from trying to enforce caps is more like just delaying them a little longer.

All these caps do is make people uncap there modems. So really the cable companies are doing is shooting themselves in the foot.

Back