• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a6-3650 downclock with furmark

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
so i oc'd my work rig so i can play League of legends more smoothly on my lunch breaks, game runs fine but if i run p95 until cores get to 45c (fans dont even start to spin up yet on the most sensitive settings) run furmark and bam cpu goes down to 900mhz

i have it oc'd to 3.1ghz with 1.3125 vcore p95 stable overnight temps seem great (not sure what they are supposed to be)
my question is, is it just throttling itself because of its own tdp limmit or wha?

i have all the energy saver things disabled c1 c6 blah cool n quiet as well.

im pretty new to the whole AMD thing let alone the APU thing.

anyone else have these issues?

mobo:asrock a55m-hvs
memory 4gb crucial 1600 ddr3 9-9-9-24 (xmp = 10 10 10 28)
300w seasonic psu
generic old case (hp i think)

Last edited:
if i run p95 until cores get to 45c (fans dont even start to spin up yet on the most sensitive settings) run furmark and bam cpu goes down to 900mhz = My English skills are leaving me. Are both P95 and Furmark running at the same time? I sort of read it that way.

if i run p95 until cores get to 45c (fans dont even start to spin up yet on the most sensitive settings) run furmark and bam cpu goes down to 900mhz = My English skills are leaving me. Are both P95 and Furmark running at the same time? I sort of read it that way.

i mean u run p95 until the cores top out at 45c (their p95 max temp) then i fun furmark and bam 900mhz

i mean u run p95 until the cores top out at 45c (their p95 max temp) then i fun furmark and bam 900mhz

P95 is for CPU's and Furmark is GPU, of which your 'APU' has both.

Do you have cool & quiet on? if Furmark is stressing the GPU only the CPU may go into idle mode, if Q&C is on it will down clock.

No its in the BIOS, Its called Cool $ Quiet, there is also CE1 or something like that.... and if your running windows 7 make sure you go into power options and set it for high performance.

Do you stop Prime95 before running Furmark or do you run them together?
If you stop Prime, then obviously the CPU simply goes into a low power state.
If you keep Prime running and it still drops back to 900MHz, then most likely the GPU is getting stressed a bit too much and consumes all of the allocated TDP, thus causing the CPU to clock down to make sure that the APU is running within TDP spec.

Depending on your APU/BIOS, you might be able to change this TDP limit.

i have all the c states disabled as well as cool n quiet it shouldnt ever downclock and im running both at the same time its throwing me for a curve ball, perhaps i need to get a 8 pin cpu power adapter afterall

i have all the c states disabled as well as cool n quiet it shouldnt ever downclock and im running both at the same time its throwing me for a curve ball, perhaps i need to get a 8 pin cpu power adapter afterall

Actually yes, an 8 Pin 12v Power adapter might do it. What sort of adapter? is it one which simply turns the 4 Pin to an 8? or is it an extra 4 Pin from the molex rails?

I'm just thinking if its only a 4 Pin PSU it might not actually double up the power on the 12v CPU rail, instead just divide it between 8, so it might have to come from a different rail, one that is not in use.

its a single rail psu i have a double molex to 8 pin cpu adapter should do the trick il see if that fixes it tomorrow when i get to work its not a huge deal just thought it was weird, i can play lol just fine so il get to it eventually lol

its a single rail psu i have a double molex to 8 pin cpu adapter should do the trick il see if that fixes it tomorrow when i get to work its not a huge deal just thought it was weird, i can play lol just fine so il get to it eventually lol

Make sure you take the 2 Molex adapters from separate cable looms, if you can :)

ok i got that put in, still happened idk il try to up the gpu vcore and see if that helps but if i go even +1 on my fsb then i lose analog video which my main monitor is on the vga maybe that would fix both issues

I'm still pretty sure that the downclocking of the CPU during a run of Furmark is because the GPU uses too much power, and the CPU has to be clocked down for the whole chip to remain within the TDP envelope.

OK. I kinda feel like RGone, but, well.

When you turn on your computer, and check the clock speed (CPUz), does it report the "overclocked" frequency, or the "stock" (low one) frequency.

lol its shows the overclocked frequency of 3.1ghz im watching cpuz and hwmonitor the whole time im doing this.
there are no power states enabled nor cool n quiet so no reason for it not to be running at the overclocked frequency
this is with nothing running at all besides firefox
issues.JPG

lol whoops didnt see the other row of icons... oh well lol

NO POWER STATES ENABLED AT ALL
COOL N QUIET DISABLED
RUN PRIME 95 ~ 10 MINUTES EVERY THING IS FINE
START UP FURMARK ABOUT 30 SECONDS IN CPU DOWNCLOCKS TO ~900MHZ
TEMPS NEVER EXCEED 45C

Last edited:
ok well the downclock isnt bothering me anymore, how about getting past 120fsb without losing analog video? lol i know its pretty common, this board doesnt have usb3.0 so i dont have to worry about those going out, is there another thing i need to adjust to keep the analog video?
i know this chip can go alot further than 3.1ghz but i run dual monitors at work so i have to keep the analog vid :*(

ok well the downclock isnt bothering me anymore, how about getting past 120fsb without losing analog video? lol i know its pretty common, this board doesnt have usb3.0 so i dont have to worry about those going out, is there another thing i need to adjust to keep the analog video?
i know this chip can go alot further than 3.1ghz but i run dual monitors at work so i have to keep the analog vid :*(

I get the same thing if i push the FSB to far, its because the FSB also pushes up the South Bridge (input chip) and it becomes unstable.

Back