• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A6 error code, gigabyte G1 sniper Z97 not booting, colors on the monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R1S8K

Hello,

I have problems with this motherboard before, I had similar problem before 2 months.

I fixed that problem by clearing the CMOS, the PC booted OK, and I switched it OFF for later.

Now, just before 1 week I switched it ON, it booted OK, the screen just freezed, I switched it OFF.

Then I tried to switch it ON again but I only get colored screen on booting, nothing else.

My hardware:

i7 4770k
Gigabyte G1 sniper Z97
GTX 780 classified
1TB WD blue 3.5"
1TB TOSHIBA 2.5" from my laptop
212 EVO cooler
650W cooler master PSU

I uploaded a video on YouTube:

Do basic process of elimination troubleshooting. Remove all unnecessary hardware like non OS hard storage drives, video card (temporarily use onboard video) and all but one stick of memory. If it boots like it should then start to add things back in, one component at a time. Start first with RAM. Off the top of my head it looks like a video problem to me. Do you have another monitor you can try? You might also try moving the video card to another PCI-e slot.

I would say video card but as Trents said, do basic process of elimination troubleshooting to find what part is failing.

I removed everything, except CPU power, 24-pin connector and the HDMI.

With HDMI I get A9 error.
Without HDMI I get A6 error.

20181003_192821.jpg

20181003_192404.jpg

Have you cleared the BIOS/CMOS. Could be you have it set to boot with PCIe graphics

Off the top of my head it looks like a video problem to me. Do you have another monitor you can try?

20181003_202248.jpg

Surprisingly! It was my Qnix 27" monitor!

Didn't thought it was the monitor :mad:

Is it gone? Can I fix it?

You could try a different port like DP if it has one. Could just be an input issue

It only has a DVI connector.

I'm now unscrewing it.

No! It's not the monitor!!

It's the GPU :-/

Oh no, that's an expensive one! That's a 780 classified! I got it for like 400 euros.

In this picture I'm connecting the TV from the GPU. The previous picture I ran the TV from the motherboard HDMI port.

So this means my 780 is broken. This is the 2nd GPU I have broken until now, the 1st one is 770 and now it's the 780 classy.

20181003_223408.jpg

What you suggest to me going from the beautiful 780 experience? Which GPU should I get for next?

I thought about 1050ti, but I'm pretty sure it won't run fast with HIGH default settings like the 780 classified.

What's your budget and what's your goals? (E.G. $400 extra high setting in solitaire at 4k.)

You're right, it's about the budget.

Hmmm I don't know, it's my 2nd broken GPU from EVGA. I think I had enough with EVGA GPUs.

Maybe I should try something else, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte .. anything.

This 1050 ti on Amazon is an attractive choice with a good price and has good ratings, but it's from EVGA.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...e=UTF8&qid=1538597356&sr=1-2&keywords=1050+ti

I read in the reviews that it play games at HIGH settings.

But at the same time this 1050 ti from EVGA has more ratings than other brands, which attracts me back again!

This one also from Gigabyte looks good too:
https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Win...e=UTF8&qid=1538597356&sr=1-3&keywords=1050+ti

I think I should try the gigabyte as I have a gigabyte motherboard which didn't broke today from my successive resets and CMOS clears.

No! It's not the monitor!!

It's the GPU :-/

Called it :) I've had a few video cards go out, so when I saw your pic/video I knew what it was.
I use EVGA and have had no problems with them, I do run the fans at a steep fan curve, 30% @ 30c to 100% @ 45c so they run cool.
I would say go with EVGA but given your experience, get what you think is the better deal.

That EVGA 1050 ti is cheaper by like $15-20 from the Gigabyte one.

But my 780 classified was a beast, it ran games like BF4 cool and quiet. I think I didn't heard that card go HIGH with fans, it means it really was a powerful card.

I'm thinking to get a powerful GPU like that, I had 770 SC, but it used to get really hot and the fans goes very HIGH.

It really depends on the budget.

I think you'd have to go with at least a 1060 to be in the same ball park as the 780

Back