• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to build this 939 system, need feedback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just bought everything a few min ago =)
Everything above is the same except I went with the g.skill LE 4400 instead of the OCZ
Thanks for all the help and feedback everyone =)

Total on every was $1129.02

BTW: do u guys think cooling on the mosfets is needed since im going 90nm?

MoPMatrix said:
Just bought everything a few min ago =)
Everything above is the same except I went with the g.skill LE 4400 instead of the OCZ
Thanks for all the help and feedback everyone =)

Total on every was $1129.02

BTW: do u guys think cooling on the mosfets is needed since im going 90nm?

If you want to overclock the bejesus out of it, maybe it wouldn't hurt. But if you are going stock or 200-300mhz over...well lets just say mine don't even feel like they get above room temperature (60°F). If anything, get a passive Zalman nb heatsink as I just noticed the active one is kinda annoying.

I put MOSFET heatsinks on my past two mobos (the current NF7 & a KT266A board) & it helped the KT266A but not the NF7. It all depends on the quality & heat output of the MOSFETs i guess (the ones on my NF7 being superior). I noticed they are putting really large MOSFETs on some of the new NForce4 boards & some of the the new Intel 925 series based boards. When I saw them for the first time I didn't realize what they were since they're in a larger package than the normal everyday TO-220 style IC packaging.

Last edited:
Well I'm defiantly not going for a mild OC, I didn’t pay 300bux for ram for a 200 MHz OC :p Could do that with value ram. =)
I'll see how it goes as I clock the board. What’s a good operating temp for a mosfet? I can monitor them with my IR temp gun.

Btw for the NB heat sink, annoying in what way? Just loud? Or problems with it?

i would recommend the Epox 9nda3+ over the MSI k8n neo 2.. I've just heard of a lot of issues with the neo2(booting up probs, etc), while most of the issues with the 9nda3 are fixed with the latest bios.also the epox can hit really high FSB/HTTs(300+). Check out windwithme's review
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=355353

I got the J version for $93 on mwave and my 3200+ on mwave for like $190 RETAIL box. they shipped it really fast too. I wouldnt get the 3200+ off gameve because it says 5-7 days for estimated ship time. I was about to get if off gameve but i was not gonna wait that long :p

Last edited:
NoobInside said:
i would recommend the Epox 9nda3+ over the MSI k8n neo 2.. I've just heard of a lot of issues with the neo2(booting up probs, etc), while most of the issues with the 9nda3 are fixed with the latest bios.also the epox can hit really high FSB/HTTs(300+). Check out windwithme's review
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=355353

I got the J version for $93 on mwave and my 3200+ on mwave for like $190 RETAIL box. they shipped it really fast too. I wouldnt get the 3200+ off gameve because it says 5-7 days for estimated ship time. I was about to get if off gameve but i was not gonna wait that long :p

What week was your 3200?

NoobInside said:
i would recommend the Epox 9nda3+ over the MSI k8n neo 2..

How come it comes almost 17% slower than every other A64 board in the Sandra memory test?
http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050103/socket_939-21.html

Presumably someone fixed the bogus bios problem too.
Anand Tech
The last area is memory performance and here, the results are clearly disappointing. The Epox is a fine board with 2 DIMMs, but when we tested with 4 DIMMs, the 9NDA3+ sets the memory speed at DDR333 no matter what we set in the BIOS. This is the first Socket 939 board we have tested that has been so restrictive in performance with 4 DIMMs. This limitation is so severe that we cannot really recommend the Epox if you plan to use 4 DIMMs now or in the future. Choose another Socket 939 board for four DIMMs. We suspect that Epox can fix this limitation in a BIOS update, but until we see this problem corrected, performance with 4 DIMMs will be a disappointment.

It should also be mentioned that when we first received the Epox 9NDA3+, we could only run memory at 1T in slots 3 and 4. Any attempt to run at a 1T or Auto Command Rate setting failed boot. Epox supplied us an updated BIOD that did fix this problem, but the new BIOS did not fix our other concern. About 50% of the time, the Epox board with either BIOS would fail on reboot and freeze at the first BIOS screen. We were always able to continue a boot by hitting reset or turning the computer off first, but these failed reboots were time consuming and very annoying for a production board. Epox needs to fix this issue with a BIOS update or they will get many complaints from end users.

BioVader said:
What week was your 3200?

I dunno, but everything shipped out from all 3 retails on Friday so I should have it soon. Once I get I'll let u know, I'm hoping 40+

Steven4563 said:
u should get the XP-120 I can fit in on my K8N Neo2 just right its abit tight to get it on but its on lol

For real? doh
I read on the thermalright site that it wasn’t compatible at all that’s y I scrapped it. Where is urs tight at? around the caps?
I was going to get that and a 114cfm / 45db Panaflo.

NoobInside said:

I already ordered, but isn't the retail 3200 on that mwave that goes for $192 a s754 chip? The Winchester 3200 they have is $210
I ordered my CPU/MB/Vid off gameve Thursday @ 11pm and it shipped Friday. They seemed to of changed it to 1-2 days :p

I did find the Forton Blue storm on mwave cheaper then what I payed for my Forton 530w on newegg tho =(

Last edited:
well i had to put in my ram before i put the heatsink on because i couldnt get the ram in slot 1&2 otherwise and where your IDE cables plug in its alittle tight but other than thats its great

Weird, I wonder y they say it’s not compatible, that doesn’t sound bad at all.

Back