• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Actual heatsink size- 120 mm vs 140 mm fan size?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chrisjames61

Are the heatsinks themsleves actually bigger? I was wondering if they are or if the 140 mm fans hang over the heatsinks themselves? I am asking this because the heights seem to be the same. Around 156 mm. Are the sinks themselves just wider?

It depends.

Some are taller, some are wider, some are both.
Some put fins toward the bottom so they don't get taller.

The reason for that ~156mm height is because that'll fit the majority of cases that support ATX/mATX.

Yes, I realize the height is a limitation imposed by today's cases. I was just wondering if the advertised 140 mm heatsinks are any better than the older 120 mm heatsinks. I have a couple NH-D14's. They perform great but are just too big. I dislike the fact they basically cover your whole motherboard. I was thinking of ordering a NH-U14S. Before I did that I wanted to see if there was any real advantage to the 140 mm because I have a NH-U12S and a Ultra-120 eXtreme kicking around.

That little bit of size difference won't make a temp difference, if that's the angle you're going after. You're right at the limit of air. Your next step will be custom water for any temp improvements. ;)

That little bit of size difference won't make a temp difference, if that's the angle you're going after. You're right at the limit of air. Your next step will be custom water for any temp improvements. ;)

Thanks Mr. Scott. My condolences about your First Officer,:( Mr Spock.

Last edited:
Back